Healthy cat losing weight?

Old February 2nd 06, 09:13 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav

Default Healthy cat losing weight?

On Thu, 2 Feb 2006 08:28:53 -0600, "MaryL"
-OUT-THE-LITTER wrote:

"Perry Justus" wrote in message
.. .
On Wed, 1 Feb 2006 17:20:59 -0700, "Corey Kaye"
wrote:

Perry Justus wrote:

I already said that she's twelve and a half. (Reread my original
post!) If she's eating, and active, and seems normal, what could be
the problem?

Just off the top of my non-expert head: hyperthyroidism, cancer, heart
disease, lung disease, infection, worms...

Take the cat to the vet

Corey

Jeeze... I should've known better than to even ask without going
through the usenet archives first. She'll be going to the vet ASAP,
but we're basically poor and still paying out money for visits that
happened last year (plus, the vet office has had a notice up on the
wall that they won't allow anyone to pay later anymore, so we're
pushing it -- I think our vet was the only one in town who would even
let people do it in the first place).

Perry

People are not trying to be insulting to you.

Where did I imply that? I was just amazed at all the potential
problems.

Yes, I did read your statement that you are strapped for funds, and I am not
making light of it. However, a cat that "seems normal" could still have
medical issues -- and the fact that you said she has lost several pounds
could be an important symptom. "Several pounds" on a cat is a *very big*
change.

Well, she hasn't been weighed; she just feels lighter. She's going in
for a checkup next week, but I'm hoping that she's just lost some
weight because she's on a better food.

Perry

Old February 2nd 06, 09:32 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav

"Perry Justus" wrote in message
On Thu, 2 Feb 2006 08:28:53 -0600, "MaryL"
-OUT-THE-LITTER wrote:

snip

People are not trying to be insulting to you.

Where did I imply that? I was just amazed at all the potential
problems.

Sorry, I apparently misinterpreted, and I wanted to reassure you that people
were trying to give advice and not hurl insults. This is the statement that
led me to believe you were taking some of the messages in a different
context: "Jeeze... I should've known better than to even ask without going
through the usenet archives first."
Yes, I did read your statement that you are strapped for funds, and I am
not
making light of it. However, a cat that "seems normal" could still have
medical issues -- and the fact that you said she has lost several pounds
could be an important symptom. "Several pounds" on a cat is a *very big*
change.

Well, she hasn't been weighed; she just feels lighter. She's going in
for a checkup next week, but I'm hoping that she's just lost some
weight because she's on a better food.

You said in your original message that she feels like she has dropped a
number of pounds. If she hasn't been weighed, it is important to do so as
soon as possible. I'm glad to hear that you already have a trip to the vet
planned.

MaryL

Perry

Old February 3rd 06, 03:29 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav

You know post like this really irritate me the **** out of me. Obviously if
the cat is loosing weight then she needs seen by a vet.

Don't be like my idiot co-worker who for 2 months kept saying oh he's just
not eating as much. I told her repeatedly to take the cat to the vets when
they don't eat or loose weight something is seriously wrong. She always had
some damned excuse like --- I have to pay for Williams gymnastic classes
this month. I'm sorry but her damned spoiled brat kit could have done
without the classes. Instead she spent the money on her ungratefull little
******* of a kid and the cat died from phenumonia.

My money might be tight to at times but when they are sick you find a way.
You don't make them wait and look to a newsgroup for answers that only your
vet can give you. If I hurt your feelings too bad get over it and take the
cat to the vets like you should.

If you are short on funds then it's time you start setting aside money for
stuff like this. I have 5 animals and I put money away every month so when
the time comes in an emergency I have the money. If it's an extreme
emergency I have a line of credit that I use but I make sure they are taken
care of.

Celeste

Old February 3rd 06, 06:13 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav

On Fri, 03 Feb 2006 03:29:39 GMT, "Spot"
wrote:

You know post like this really irritate me the **** out of me. Obviously if
the cat is loosing weight then she needs seen by a vet.

Read my other posts. I think it's funny that no one has even
commented on the fact that she was overweight. She's not anorexic,
but she has gotten skinnier. As I wrote in TWO other posts, we
started giving her better quality food a little while back; why has no
one replied with their thoughts on her food switch and my speculation
about whether or not that's had an effect on her weight? She may have
something wrong, which is why she's **going in next week**, but it's
not an emergency. (Trust me, if it becomes readily apparent that one
of my cats has something wrong, like a UT or respiratory infection,
they go THAT DAY or as soon as possible.)

Perry
Old February 3rd 06, 06:41 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav

Perry Justus wrote:
On Wed, 01 Feb 2006 17:16:43 -0600, Perry Justus
wrote:
snip

I forgot to mention this, but could it be possible that she's lost
weight because she's eating better food? She was overweight from the
time she was two until just a few months ago, and last year we started
feeding her better food because our youngest cat couldn't tolerate any
other type of food. She went from eating Meow Mix, etc. to Royal
Canin on a regular basis last year.

Perry

Yes. She is getting more protein per ounce, no doubt, and less carbs.
That will foster weight loss, if fed the same amount. I suspect she is
eating less of it too, eh?

-L.

Old February 3rd 06, 12:36 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav

"Perry Justus" wrote in message

I already said that she's twelve and a half. (Reread my original
post!) If she's eating, and active, and seems normal, what could be
the problem?

Hyper-thyroidism. Onset of renal failure. A whole bunch of things. Cats are
masters of deception when it comes to hiding symptoms of illness.

Old February 3rd 06, 12:38 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav

"Perry Justus" wrote in message
On Thu, 02 Feb 2006 01:15:58 GMT, "Gail" wrote:

Yes, you're right, Perry. After 10 years, a cat is geriatric and more
vulnerable to many diseases.
Gail

10 years?! Are you sure? Cats can live to be 25-30 sometimes.

It is very rare for cats to live past 20.

Old February 3rd 06, 05:36 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav

"Ryan Robbins" wrote in message

"Perry Justus" wrote in message
On Thu, 02 Feb 2006 01:15:58 GMT, "Gail" wrote:

Yes, you're right, Perry. After 10 years, a cat is geriatric and more
vulnerable to many diseases.
Gail

10 years?! Are you sure? Cats can live to be 25-30 sometimes.

It is very rare for cats to live past 20.

far from the truth unless they are a outside cat

Old February 4th 06, 01:06 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav

"Perry Justus" wrote in message
Hi,

I have a twelve and a half year old cat who seems to be

losing weight
despite the fact that she has a big appetite, plays a lot,

and
generally seems healthy. She's been somewhat overweight

(not obese)
since she had her second litter of kittens in 1994 but as

of late she
feels like she's dropped a number of pounds and has, if

you'll excuse
my crassness, very saggy titties. She seems particularly

boney around
her shoulders, but I can't really feel her spine and her

ribs without
applying some pressure. What's the deal? Is it just

mid-age? If
she's sick with something, she doesn't show it, because

she seems a
lot more active than some of my other cats. Also, her

coat is
healthier than it's been in years, for some odd reason.

Thanks,
Perry

Apart from the reasons already mentioned , it could be her
teeth.
Alison