One cat is scared, the other ignores us.

Old October 21st 07, 05:07 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
CindyBreninger

Default One cat is scared, the other ignores us.

Hi,
We have two cats and while one ignores us unless he wants attention,
the other freezes up. She is fine when it is just me and will play
and sit in my lap, but the second my kids come home, she hides. When
we find her, she goes limp and hides her head. The kids have never
hurt her, but she just seems to be afraid. We have had her a few
months and they love her so much, but wonder why she acts like this.
Cindy Breninger
www.adayinthelifeofcindy.blogspot.com

Old October 21st 07, 07:18 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
cybercat

"CindyBreninger" wrote in message
oups.com...
Hi,
We have two cats and while one ignores us unless he wants attention,
the other freezes up. She is fine when it is just me and will play
and sit in my lap, but the second my kids come home, she hides. When
we find her, she goes limp and hides her head. The kids have never
hurt her, but she just seems to be afraid. We have had her a few
months and they love her so much, but wonder why she acts like this.
Cindy Breninger
www.adayinthelifeofcindy.blogspot.com

Give her some time and put some thought into making your place more friendly
to her. Stop hunting her down and let her come to you, for starters.

Old October 21st 07, 11:30 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
CindyBreninger

On Oct 21, 9:00 am, "Matthew" wrote:
Sorry but it sounds like your kid are not as nice as you think. Sounds like
the second kid has someway hurt, or abused the furball and is on going.
You many not like to hear that but if it is true and it is the other kid
some help hurting small animal is a sure sign of worse things to come.

"CindyBreninger" wrote in message

oups.com...

Hi,
We have two cats and while one ignores us unless he wants attention,
the other freezes up. She is fine when it is just me and will play
and sit in my lap, but the second my kids come home, she hides. When
we find her, she goes limp and hides her head. The kids have never
hurt her, but she just seems to be afraid. We have had her a few
months and they love her so much, but wonder why she acts like this.
Cindy Breninger
www.adayinthelifeofcindy.blogspot.com- Hide quoted text -

Wow, I have never HUNTED HER DOWN and no, my kids have never hurt her.
My son once rescued a moth because it had a broken wing. They even
have crickets as pets as they can't stand that people feed them to
other animals so he wants to save the crickets. Are you guys
serious??? She is just scared and was when we first got her. Jeeze, I
don't think I want to be on here after being called an animal abuser
or my kids. Do you people even have kids? To accuse someone of that
is pretty crappy. We don't hunt her down or hurt her and never have.
Wow. Personally it makes me sick you guys would accuse us of ever
hurting an animal. I came for advice on how to make her feel more
comfortable and now you think I hunt her down and the kids abuse her.
That is BS.
Cindy

Old October 21st 07, 11:33 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
cybercat

"CindyBreninger" wrote
Wow, I have never HUNTED HER DOWN and no, my kids have never hurt her.
My son once rescued a moth because it had a broken wing. They even
have crickets as pets as they can't stand that people feed them to
other animals so he wants to save the crickets. Are you guys
serious??? She is just scared and was when we first got her. Jeeze, I
don't think I want to be on here after being called an animal abuser
or my kids. Do you people even have kids? To accuse someone of that
is pretty crappy. We don't hunt her down or hurt her and never have.
Wow. Personally it makes me sick you guys would accuse us of ever
hurting an animal. I came for advice on how to make her feel more
comfortable and now you think I hunt her down and the kids abuse her.
That is BS.
Cindy

Most of us have had kids and all of us have had cats. So I guess we're
just assholes.

Nevertheless, your cat is acting like she is less than comfortable with you
and there is a reason. You are not doing everything you can to put her
at ease, at the very least.

Old October 22nd 07, 01:13 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
CindyBreninger

On Oct 21, 4:54 pm, "Matthew" wrote:
"CindyBreninger"
snipped

Sometimes the truth hurts deal with it. I also said if it is true and
sounds like.The Op asked if you were sure.

What you described is how I called it. If the shoes fits deal with the
problems if not than it was a possibility. IT happens when children live in
a home with animals. But Mommy and Daddy never want to believe it.
DO we live in your house?.
DO we know you personally?.
DO we have a video or seen the cat do what you described.

You posted your comments and from what I read I said what could be a
problem. OPs asked the same thing about your kids.

Lets see the second the kids come home she hides. Ok that happens with loud
kids.
.
We find her she goes limp and hides her head. That means someone else is
with you more in likely the kids. Sounds like a problem to me that is not a
normal reaction for a cat .

Since their is no voice behind the words. How do you think people who have
done rescue work will take it what you wrote. Or are we supposed to be mind
readers. You ask why the behavior was happening not how to help deal with
it.

Please don't let the doorknob hit you where the god lord split ya if you
don't want opinions when you post.

I do want opinions, just not to be attacked and called an animal
abuser. If anything, I would never hurt an animal. We just got her
and I thought maybe something was wrong and I was worried about her.
You guys keep attacking me. I would never treat anyone as rudely as
you guys have treated me. She is a new cat, no one has hurt her. If
my kids did, they would get in a lot of trouble. They aren't really
loud as we live in an apartment and have neighbors so we try to be
respectful of them. They don't run or yell in the apartment, they go
outside to play. I would never be so rude to any of you if you were
asking my advice on how to help an animal. The cat was like that at
the place where we got her and I just wanted a few suggestions on how
to help her, not be attacked for asking for help. When we got her, it
was from a college dorm where there were several people and they said
she was the same way. Geeze, talk about making someone feel like crap
for asking for help. I won't make that mistake again. I am amazed.
If you own children or friends had the same question and wanted to
help their cat, would attack them the way you attacked me and call
them an animal abuser? It was unnecessary and rude. I don't know how
you feel, but that is very insulting and I would never hurt an animal.
I was just looking for a way to help a cat that I thought needed help.
I thought that was what this group was for-TO ASK CAT QUESTIONS AND
GET EDUCATED ANSWERS. I didn't know it was to be rude to those who
were seeking information. By the way, the cat is sitting on my
daughter's lap right now and is purring. Some days she does go limp,
but not all the time. She is happy and they are sitting on the couch
together. You don't know me or my kids so the truth does not hurt as
it is not the truth. Please don't reply if you are going to insult or
attack me. We are good people, we love our cats, and try to be nice to
people. I was just looking for a way to help her. Sorry I asked...

Old October 22nd 07, 01:21 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
CindyBreninger

On Oct 21, 5:08 pm, Cheryl wrote:
On Sun 21 Oct 2007 07:54:08p, Matthew wrote in
rec.pets.cats.health+behav
:

[...]

None of this was fair to Cindy. No, we don't have a crystal ball
into her world, but seriously, some cats just don't like kids
regardless of how they are treated. We don't know the ages of her
kids. I think it is very unfair of you to immediately jump to the
conclusion that her cat is abused and she should be worried about
one of her kids growing up to abuse animals or worse.

Cindy, some cats just don't like kids. Some cats bond to one
person, and in your case this could be you.

That said, how old are your kids? Are they supervised around the
pets?

--
Cheryl- Hide quoted text -

Thank you Cheryl. My daughter is 7 and my son is 9. They have always
loved animals and like I said, my son even rescued a moth! He
loves them. We also have a tortoise, a stick bug, and a hampster.
They are in school most of the day and when we come home, they do
homework, have dinner and then can play for a little bit. They are
nice kids. Thanks again! Cindy

Old October 22nd 07, 01:32 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Cheryl

On Sun 21 Oct 2007 08:21:56p, CindyBreninger wrote in
rec.pets.cats.health+behav
roups.com:

Thank you Cheryl. My daughter is 7 and my son is 9. They have
always loved animals and like I said, my son even rescued a
moth! He loves them. We also have a tortoise, a stick bug,
and a hampster. They are in school most of the day and when we
come home, they do homework, have dinner and then can play for a
little bit. They are nice kids. Thanks again! Cindy

You might want to limit her time with them until she comes out of
her shell. You haven't had her long, and something in her history
could be causing red flags to be raised when kids are present. You
don't indicate her age, the age of the other cat (did you get them
both at the same time?) and if they were from a shelter or a
breeder or if they were raised together or just adopted/bought
together. More info please!

)

--
Cheryl

Old October 22nd 07, 01:39 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
CindyBreninger

On Oct 21, 5:32 pm, Cheryl wrote:
[...]

The cats are a brother and sister, two years old. They lived in a
college dorm and who knows what could have happened. They are indoor
cats and litterbox trained. They are mellow and nice cats, just
scared. They always have been. I was just wondering if anyone had
ideas on how to make them feel more comfortable. Should I buy cat
treats? Get them a new cat house? Right now they sleep with the kids
at night and the boy cat crawls up with my son and the girl with my
daughter. At night, they both purr and seem happy. Somehow they both
end up on my bed in the morning. But, during the day, they will hide
and the girl cat acts scared. Other times, she is fine. It is weird.

Old October 22nd 07, 01:52 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Cheryl

On Sun 21 Oct 2007 08:39:28p, CindyBreninger wrote in
rec.pets.cats.health+behav
roups.com:

The cats are a brother and sister, two years old. They lived in
a college dorm and who knows what could have happened. They are
indoor cats and litterbox trained. They are mellow and nice
cats, just scared. They always have been. I was just wondering
if anyone had ideas on how to make them feel more comfortable.
Should I buy cat treats? Get them a new cat house? Right now
they sleep with the kids at night and the boy cat crawls up with
my son and the girl with my daughter. At night, they both purr
and seem happy. Somehow they both end up on my bed in the
morning. But, during the day, they will hide and the girl cat
acts scared. Other times, she is fine. It is weird.

Not wierd at all! I have a former feral and she is as scared
as can be. Most of the time. Been here 4 years, but she came from
the outside and had to fend for herself before coming here. To
this day, I can't pick her up. She seeks out affection on her own
terms, but probably will never be a lap cat. She freaks out when
two hands come toward her, but is fine when its just one. She
sleeps on my bed, but is hesitant to jump on the couch to sit next
to me. She will sit at my feet and allow my feet to pet her more
than allow my hands to pet her.

Cats are quirky. They both obviously trust your kids if they will
sleep with them. Maybe encourage them to sit on the floor and play
gently with cat toys with them? Like the toys with feathers on
sticks. The cats are young, so they'd probably love to chase
feathers. I'd encourage the kids to stay low, offer some treats
(if the cats are not overweight) and maybe teach a game of fetch.
Yes, cats can learn fetch games! After some time, I'd imagine
that both cats will be more comfortable with the kids, though
don't expect it to happen overnight. And be prepared for setbacks.
But it sounds like they will be fine.

--
Cheryl

Old October 22nd 07, 02:02 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
CindyBreninger

On Oct 21, 5:52 pm, Cheryl wrote:
[...]

Thanks! I think somehow I started off on the wrong foot here. This is
a good group and very interesting...do over? hehe Ok, that's what my
kids say when we just want to start over. I think it might apply
here.