One cat is scared, the other ignores us.

Old October 22nd 07, 02:18 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
CindyBreninger

Default One cat is scared, the other ignores us.

On Oct 21, 6:15 pm, Cheryl wrote:
On Sun 21 Oct 2007 09:02:36p, CindyBreninger wrote in
rec.pets.cats.health+behav
roups.com:

Thanks! I think somehow I started off on the wrong foot here.
This is a good group and very interesting...do over? hehe Ok,
that's what my kids say when we just want to start over. I
think it might apply here.

Do overs are good! Best of luck with your kitties. They're
lucky to have you. I don't think many in your position would take
much notice, or even try to fix it. I read some of your blog.

--
Cheryl

I hope you liked it!

Old October 22nd 07, 05:05 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
CindyBreninger

On Oct 21, 8:55 pm, Galloping Clippers wrote:
CindyBreninger wrote:
On Oct 21, 9:00 am, "Matthew" wrote:

Sorry but it sounds like your kid are not as nice as you think. Sounds like
the second kid has someway hurt, or abused the furball and is on going.
You many not like to hear that but if it is true and it is the other kid
some help hurting small animal is a sure sign of worse things to come.

"CindyBreninger" wrote in message

groups.com...

Hi,
We have two cats and while one ignores us unless he wants attention,
the other freezes up. She is fine when it is just me and will play
and sit in my lap, but the second my kids come home, she hides. When
we find her, she goes limp and hides her head. The kids have never
hurt her, but she just seems to be afraid. We have had her a few
months and they love her so much, but wonder why she acts like this.
Cindy Breninger
www.adayinthelifeofcindy.blogspot.com-Hide quoted text -

Wow, I have never HUNTED HER DOWN and no, my kids have never hurt her.
My son once rescued a moth because it had a broken wing. They even
have crickets as pets as they can't stand that people feed them to
other animals so he wants to save the crickets. Are you guys
serious??? She is just scared and was when we first got her. Jeeze, I
don't think I want to be on here after being called an animal abuser
or my kids. Do you people even have kids? To accuse someone of that
is pretty crappy. We don't hunt her down or hurt her and never have.
Wow. Personally it makes me sick you guys would accuse us of ever
hurting an animal. I came for advice on how to make her feel more
comfortable and now you think I hunt her down and the kids abuse her.
That is BS.
Cindy

You came here for advice, not reassurement. We don;t know anything
about you or your kids. In most cases like you describe, something has
been done to make the cat shy away.- Hide quoted text -

Yes, I did come for advice, but was not given advice, just assumptions
or accusations...you can read the past posts. But, things turned
around and I was given some suggestions and advice. I don't know
what happened to the cats before they came to live with us and no way
to contact the people, I can only hope to give them a good life.
Anyway, I will keep you guys updated and see if things change. They
really are nice cats and we love them a lot. My daughter even named
hers Daisy May Roses Princess PIggy. (She loves pigs so that is a
compliment) We call her Daisy May for short. She said her cat was so
cute it needed more than one name for all its cuteness!
Cindy

Old October 22nd 07, 03:58 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
CatNipped[_2_]

"CindyBreninger" wrote in message
oups.com...
Hi,
We have two cats and while one ignores us unless he wants attention,
the other freezes up. She is fine when it is just me and will play
and sit in my lap, but the second my kids come home, she hides. When
we find her, she goes limp and hides her head. The kids have never
hurt her, but she just seems to be afraid. We have had her a few
months and they love her so much, but wonder why she acts like this.
Cindy Breninger
www.adayinthelifeofcindy.blogspot.com

Neither reaction is unusual. How long have you had the cats? Cats usually
need a slow, careful introduction - and even then some cats never "warm up"
to people. I have a *gorgeous* pure white, long-haired cat that we rescued
when she was 6 weeks old. We know she has never been abused or even spoken
to loudly (there's just me and my husband in our household and we both love
cats). She is now 9 years old, and she *still* runs and hides whenever we
go near her.

We have 5 cats altogether. Demi, described above; Jessie, a *very*
independent, sassy short-hair tortoiseshell girl cat who hangs on my husband
constantly and follows him from room to room like a puppy; Sammy, a gorgeous
Maine Coon-like long-hair girl cat, who is friendly and stays in whatever
room I'm in, but doesn't like to be picked up; and two orange-stripey boy
cats, 5 months old, who are the terror of our household.

All that to say that every cat is different, and the only "constant" thing
about cats is that no two are ever alike personality-wise.

My advice would be to take it slowly, ask your children not to stare
directly at the cats (they take that as a "challenge" and will be frightened
away), sit in the same room without focusing on the cats and speak softly.
Entice them with treats and toys. And most of all, just be patient.

Hugs,

CatNipped

Old October 22nd 07, 10:26 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
supercat

Hi Cindy,
One quick line.
If one is having a problem integrating....... go out of your way to
IGNORE it.
Put its food down etc as normal, but dont pressure it.
This way I have quickly gained a strong bond with older (10+) cats.
They will wonder why you aren't paying them
attention and want to get near to you basically to find out what YOU
are about. Then the love can blossom.
If they are getting a little TOO much attention (from people they dont
FULLY trust) it un-nerves them.
Ignore the other people with the hate.
Life is too short to worry about those sort.
Tim.

Old October 23rd 07, 12:44 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
CindyBreninger

On Oct 22, 2:26 pm, supercat wrote:
Hi Cindy,
One quick line.
If one is having a problem integrating....... go out of your way to
IGNORE it.
Put its food down etc as normal, but dont pressure it.
This way I have quickly gained a strong bond with older (10+) cats.
They will wonder why you aren't paying them
attention and want to get near to you basically to find out what YOU
are about. Then the love can blossom.
If they are getting a little TOO much attention (from people they dont
FULLY trust) it un-nerves them.
Ignore the other people with the hate.
Life is too short to worry about those sort.
Tim.

Hi, I will try that. It is just strange as during the day, they act
weird, but when we go to bed, they climb up into bed with the kids and
they are fine. Funny little cats.
Cindy

Old November 7th 07, 10:28 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
[email protected]

Hi! I'm involved in rescue work and also capturing, spaying /
neutering feral cats. I also have two 5 month old fearful kittens
that I just adopted.
I can tell you that I've seen adopted fearful / feral cats that will
go completely limp sometimes for no known reason. Cats are like
people, they can have all of the quirks that people do. One of my
kittens becomes completely terriifed of me after I exercise....as
scaried as a cat can get....hissing, urinating, freezing, howling,
curling up in a ball kind of scared. However, once I take a shower
she's fine, doesn't like the smell of me or something.

In a nutshell, going limp doesn't mean abuse has happened, however it
is on the checklist for possible causes. This could just be a quirk
in your cat's behavior.

Old November 7th 07, 03:19 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
honeybunch

On Nov 7, 4:28 am, wrote:
[...]

Oh my, just let cats be cats is all I can say here. Your cats are
healthy and not doing anything destructive. Cats all have their own
personalities. If they are sleeping with you and the kids, they can't
be really afraid of you. It think it takes about a year for a cat to
really feel at home. I have a nice friend with a cat that absolutely
flees from visitors to her apartment. For no reason. So dont worry
so much.