Bonnie's first "real" vet visit

Old October 29th 03, 10:49 PM
Cheryl

Default Bonnie's first "real" vet visit

Up until now, every time Bonnie had to go to the vet it was the county
clinic (shots, spay, etc). I've been dreading having to take her to a
real vet visit but the day finally came. She was having problems
urinating and this morning she cried while in the box so I called the
vet and they fit us in. Originally the vet wanted her in a trap or
transport cage so they could sedate her to check her over. I didn't
feel comfortable with this even though I understand the vet's position
and experience with feral cats. I felt she'd become socialized and
calmed-down enough to bring her in a carrier but for good measure I
put a walking jacket and lead on her before putting her in the
carrier. Well ... she was very good! Terrified of course, but not
ballistic as I expected, even getting her temp taken. They couldn't
get any urine because apparently she'd been emptying her bladder
often and squeezing out every drop as is normal with a UTI. But I did
see that some urine on the newspaper I put under her box was dark so
it was obvious it is a UTI. After getting her home I pilled her
*normally* (LOL) and she was back to normal and not terrified anymore.
Right now she's sitting at my feet (her favorite spot.. hehe) and
acting like this morning never happened.

So the moral of this long story is to never be afraid to bring a cat,
no matter how terrified or semi-feral, to the vet where they will be
helped. No excuses.

Old October 29th 03, 11:17 PM
Cheryl

In ,
PawsForThought composed with style:

Awww, she sounds adorable. I hope her UTI clears up soon.

She is a sweetie. She's come a LONG way. I used to think she would
always be brought to the vet in a trap... the clinic used to make me
bring her in one to give her shots through the cage bars. I'm very
proud of my little girl today.

Here is her "photo album"
http://community.webshots.com/album/75552731ngVsAM

I love the last pic... I just uploaded it because I noticed I hadn't
put it there yet.

Old October 29th 03, 11:50 PM
Karen

in article , Cheryl at
wrote on 10/29/03 4:49 PM:

[...]

Wow. She has come a LONG way. Good for her and I hope that the UTI gets over
with soon.

Karen

Old October 30th 03, 12:34 AM
Karen M.

Oh, what a good little Bonnie!! Did you take a picture of her in her
smart walking jacket? I would love to see... She may have to explain
to my Audrey how to behave while going to the vet so I don't have
dual-end projectile. Her vet visit is coming soon...