[OT] Need Bicycle Advice

Old May 7th 05, 06:22 PM
Catnipped

Default [OT] Need Bicycle Advice

I know there are at least a couple of bicycle enthusiasts here. I have a
question you might be able to answer.

I think I may have convinced DH to get a bicycle, but he's hesitant still.
The problem is he's quite a bit overweight (which is one reason I would like
to see him start *any* type of exercise - he's a keeper and I want to keep
him for many, many years yet).

My question - are there any bicycles that are made specifically for larger
people? I'm afraid he might have problems with wheels and tires on a
standard bike (the reasonably priced bikes are made *very* cheaply
now-a-days, not like when I was a kid). And that's the second biggest
consideration - with possibly a second salary cut for us in the offing, it
needs to be *very* reasonably priced - like under $100. Am I on an
impossible quest here?

Thanks!

Hugs,

CatNipped

Old May 7th 05, 06:55 PM
Magic Mood Jeep©

Catnipped wrote:
[...]

Well, I know the bikes called Mountain Bikes are built sturdier (much
thicker frames), have thicker wheels & big nobby tires for 'off roading'.
Some of the high-end models even will have shocks, some on the fron fork and
some under the seat, some in the frame.... They also have anywhere from
10-21 gears. But, like everything else, some are made in who-knows-where and
are barely worth cat-poop.

Even though it's just me & hubby, we have *3*. I have a Huffy women's bike,
a men's weird name, and DH bought one, a RoadMaster, for $60 off some guy
that he doesn't really like but has known for ages, when he was helping him
move last fall. The Huffy we've had forever, and I'm loathe to get rid of
it just because it's a *Huffy*. Then for Xmas a few years ago, DH bought me
another one, having forgotten about the Huffy gathering dust in the garage.

If you were nearby, I'd tell you to bring your KeeperDH over & check 'em
out - and take one with you!
--
The ONE and ONLY
in Bloomington! (And proud of it, too)©

Old May 7th 05, 07:14 PM
wafflycat

"Catnipped" wrote in message
I know there are at least a couple of bicycle enthusiasts here. I have a
question you might be able to answer.

I think I may have convinced DH to get a bicycle, but he's hesitant still.
The problem is he's quite a bit overweight (which is one reason I would
like
to see him start *any* type of exercise - he's a keeper and I want to keep
him for many, many years yet).

My question - are there any bicycles that are made specifically for larger
people? I'm afraid he might have problems with wheels and tires on a
standard bike (the reasonably priced bikes are made *very* cheaply
now-a-days, not like when I was a kid). And that's the second biggest
consideration - with possibly a second salary cut for us in the offing, it
needs to be *very* reasonably priced - like under $100. Am I on an
impossible quest here?

Posted to NG & emailed

Basically if you want something that he is likely to enjoy riding, it isn't
going to cost under $100. Sorry, but I'd rather be completely honest about
that. That sort of price is the equivalent of our supermarket specials for
£69.99 and you end up getting a bike feeling as if it's made from lead
girders with components made of cheese. It's the quickest way to have the
bike end up unused at the back of the garage.

Bikes can look remarkably fragile & be very strong. When I was at my fattest
(weighing close to 250lbs), my standard tourer (Bianchi San Remo) could cope
well with the weight on the roads where the tarmac was less than pristine
:-)

On deciding what is the best kind of bike for him, you need to think about
what kind of riding he will reasonably expect to be doing, as there's a bike
for the job. Unless he's doing off-roading, downhilling, you really, really
really don't need suspension. *Good* suspension doesn't come cheap. A
*reasonable* suspension jobbie and you are looking at several hundreds of
dollars (UK £500 min for decent suspension).

If you are thinking of riding on tarmac & relatively smooth trails with a
good surface, think about a hybrid.

There is a USA-based Usenet group, rec.bicycles.misc where you may get
detailed information appropriate to your side of the pond as regards makes,
prices, where to purchase.

Other things I'd recommend:-

1. Don't think that he'll become Lance Armstrong overnight ;-) Start off
with short distances, done slowly. Don't be afraid to dismount & have a rest
as and when needed. When I first got back on a bike I couldn't cycle five
miles without having *several* stops. Keep up the pedalling and one of the
benefits is that you do see a noticeable improvement in fitness remarkably
quickly. Start off slow - build up distances & length of time on bike at a
pace that is comfortable. Again - there is no shame in getting off for a
rest as often as needed. The key is *enjoy it* :-)

2. Not all saddles are created equal. Be prepared to change the saddle if
the one the bike comes with is not comfortable. We all have different rear
ends and the key to a comfortable saddle is *fit*. The fit relates to the
sit bones of the rear end :-) Also - gel padded saddles are *not*
recommended for anything but the hshortest of trips. Soft, squidgy saddles
are actually less comfortable the longer you sit on one - they put pressure
on the perinium - not good.

3. Padded Lycra cycle shorts. Never leave home without a pair ;-) You don't
have to become Man In Lycra, but there is a reason experienced cyclists wear
padded Lycra cycle shorts - and "go commando" in them. The padding is in the
correct place and the Lycra stretches so there is no painful chafing on the
delicate nether regions. If you don't like advertising the fact you are
wearing Lycra cycle shorts, wear them underneath trousers. Do not cycle any
distance in jeans (denims) - it is truly the worst fabric to wear and bulky
seams chafe horribly.

4. If you can face it, wear *bright* colours. Bright means you are more
visible. If you can, take a cycling training course to learn assertive and
safe cycling. The best way to be safe is to know the rules of the road, the
law and cycle *assertively* - not aggressively - or timidly :-)

5. If you cycle at night - *LIGHTS* *LIGHTS* *LIGHTS* and *REFLECTIVES*
*REFLECTIVES* *REFLECTIVES* Over here in the UK it's white light to the
front & red light at the rear. Put it this way, I have a minimum of 4 front
lights & 3 rear lights plus I wear a safety waistcoat with acres of
retro-reflective bands on it, as well as relfectives round my ankles & arms.
Vernon, Nathan & I all go out lit up like Christmas trees when doing any
night cycling and we don't have problems. It means we can see where we are
going (no street lighting) and we can be seen by other traffic.

That's enough for now - hope it helps, but if you need any more
information - email me.

Cheers, helen s

Thanks!

Hugs,

CatNipped

Old May 7th 05, 07:14 PM
Catnipped

"Magic Mood Jeep©" wrote in message

Well, I know the bikes called Mountain Bikes are built sturdier (much
thicker frames), have thicker wheels & big nobby tires for 'off roading'.
Some of the high-end models even will have shocks, some on the fron fork

and
some under the seat, some in the frame.... They also have anywhere from
10-21 gears. But, like everything else, some are made in who-knows-where

and
are barely worth cat-poop.

Even though it's just me & hubby, we have *3*. I have a Huffy women's

bike,

I have a Huffy "Cranbrook" One-speed. ; Mine was $80 - but it's *very*
well built and sturdy (and for some reason cost more than the kind with
gears). I didn't want one with gears and brakes because it wouldn't be safe
for me to ride it. I grew up with the "granny" type bikes and it's almost
instinctual for me to back pedal to brake rather then squeezing hand brakes.
In an emergency I would be busily back pedaling and run right into an
oncoming car.

a men's weird name, and DH bought one, a RoadMaster, for $60 off some guy
that he doesn't really like but has known for ages, when he was helping

him
move last fall. The Huffy we've had forever, and I'm loathe to get rid of
it just because it's a *Huffy*. Then for Xmas a few years ago, DH bought

me
another one, having forgotten about the Huffy gathering dust in the

garage.

If you were nearby, I'd tell you to bring your KeeperDH over & check 'em
out - and take one with you!

Weird, it *so* feels like we're all one big family that it's odd to think we
live all over the world. I wish each and every one of you guys here lived
in my neighborhood!

Hugs,

CatNipped

--
The ONE and ONLY

former-blonde
in Bloomington! (And proud of it, too)©

Old May 7th 05, 07:27 PM
Catnipped

"wafflycat" waffles*AT*v21net*DOT*co*DOT*uk wrote in message

1. Don't think that he'll become Lance Armstrong overnight ;-) Start off
with short distances, done slowly. Don't be afraid to dismount & have a

rest
as and when needed. When I first got back on a bike I couldn't cycle five
miles without having *several* stops. Keep up the pedalling and one of the
benefits is that you do see a noticeable improvement in fitness remarkably
quickly. Start off slow - build up distances & length of time on bike at a
pace that is comfortable. Again - there is no shame in getting off for a
rest as often as needed. The key is *enjoy it* :-)

Yeah, that's the hardest thing for me and I have to *keep* consciously
remembering not to push him so that he'll keep it up. It's hard for me
because I started dancing when I was two - practicing 6 to 8 hours a day for
the next 16+ years. And even after I gained weight I was still always very
active - so it's hard for me to understand how my big strong man can't "keep
up".

But I want him to keep doing this for his health, so I'll do *my* real
exercising by myself and save my rides with him strictly for enjoyment - at
least until he's comfortable going longer and faster than he'll be able to
at first.

I can do 6 miles in 15 - 20 minutes on my stationary bike, and I tend to go
faster and longer on my "real" bike. I did about 10 miles this morning
hardly breaking a sweat.

Hugs,

CatNipped

Old May 7th 05, 08:51 PM
dopekitty

Catnipped wrote:
[...]

well, if you're looking for a GOOD bike under a hundred, start scouring
yard sales, pawn shops, thrift stores, etc. There's no way you're
going to find one brand new for that, but you might get something darn
close at an excellent price

You also might want to see if your city/state has a for sale newsgroup.
I know we have one for edmonton.

Kristy
Old May 7th 05, 09:57 PM
Jo Firey

"Catnipped" wrote in message
[...]

I'd be hunting estate and garage sales. Lots of older folks buy these bikes
and leave them practically unused until they either die or have to move.

Jo

Old May 9th 05, 05:16 PM
Denise VanDyke

Catnipped wrote:
[...]

In addition to the suggestions from those who actually ride bikes, a
product I will recommend is Bodyglide. It's made from a variety of
plant waxes and other non-petroleum-based ingredients and is meant to
prevent various body parts from chafing against each other or against
clothing. As a larger person, I find it very useful for times when I
know I will be doing a fair amount of walking to prevent chafing on my
legs. It's water-resistant but washed off easily with soap and water.
I can only find it in cycling shops.

- Denise Brennasmeowmy

Old May 9th 05, 06:05 PM
Treeline

"Denise VanDyke" wrote in message
Catnipped wrote:
I know there are at least a couple of bicycle enthusiasts here. I have a
question you might be able to answer.

I think I may have convinced DH to get a bicycle, but he's hesitant still.
The problem is he's quite a bit overweight (which is one reason I would

like
to see him start *any* type of exercise - he's a keeper and I want to keep
him for many, many years yet).

My question - are there any bicycles that are made specifically for larger
people? I'm afraid he might have problems with wheels and tires on a
standard bike (the reasonably priced bikes are made *very* cheaply
now-a-days, not like when I was a kid). And that's the second biggest
consideration - with possibly a second salary cut for us in the offing, it
needs to be *very* reasonably priced - like under $100. Am I on an
impossible quest here?

It's a bad idea and possibly quite dangerous. I have two bikes. One is a cheapy
which has steel rims. No biggie? Well, caught in a sudden rainstorm coming down
a hill, I could not stop the bike and just missed a van cutting across me in
the cross street. This bike also had cheap parts which were really hard to
adjust properly for safety. I did not buy this bike but won it in a contest.
How much is a life worth? For those who don't know, bikes with steel rims for
wheels are cheap and extremely difficult to impossible to stop in heavy rain
going downhill. Trust me

My other bike costs $100 and is a Trek but used. Originally that bike was over
$300, possibly over $400. Just lucky to find an ad for that bike. Barely used.
The Trek is safe and steady. The other bike is risky unless you are very
experienced, and even then...

An overweight man on a cheap bike is not a good idea unless you are buying lots
of life insurance. But you said this guy is a keeper...

Why not buy a used stationary bike? Some people just about throw them away at
this time of year in yard sales. If he is riding in traffic, a good helmet and
some basic safety equipment, lights and what not will run over $100 possibly.
Not including the bike!

And since you don't know much about bikes, you might want to enroll in a bike
course, usually given by the local bike society, on how to avoid getting hurt
real easily on a bike if you will be in the street. They are usually very
inexpensive courses, IIRC. If you will ride in a park, that's safer still, but
you might need a bike rack for the car, which is a real expense, depending.

One accident can be really expensive. You might want to give this some more
thought. Why not a good pair of jogging shoes and just go walking? $100 is
unreasonably risky. A good pair of shoes and a $3.85 pedometer (at Walmart's,
ugh) and you're in business! Actually, the pedometer is not necessary but it's
a simple way to calculate 10,000 steps which is the new guideline but that's
about, well, you'll see.

Old May 9th 05, 06:25 PM
Arthur Shapiro

In article , "Catnipped" wrote:
I know there are at least a couple of bicycle enthusiasts here. I have a
question you might be able to answer.

I ride 100-200 miles a week, so probably have some valid expertise here.

As others have pointed out, you're not going to get anything for a hundred
bucks. Those days are long gone. The idea of a garage/estate sale is
appealing, if you have enough knowledge to know that what you purchase is the
correct size (this isn't as obvious as might appear) and isn't so obsolete
(such as a ten-speed) so as to make procuring replacement parts essentially
impossible.

You also need to decide whether you want a "road" bike (the traditional
enthusiast's skinny tire guy) or a "mountain" bike, or what falls in between
(the "hybrid"). It all depends on the desired balance between comfort and
speed/distance.

Bicycles are incredibly durable contraptions, although as you start moving up
the scale there are tradeoffs to achieve light weight. I'd say concerns about
a large or heavy rider causing damage - I humously picture a pile of tubing
sitting by the road - are nonsense. It just isn't going to happen. Riders as
heavy as your DH and probably a lot stronger, riding long miles daily on much
more fragile machines, don't have problems. Relax!

Art