****ty Kitty Update

Old July 8th 04, 03:29 AM
Dally

KellyH wrote:

If you got him from a no-kill shelter, which I think you said you

did, then
return him. There's obviously something going on that is beyond your
capabilities to deal with. Just curious, where are you?

We're in Western MA. The shelter said they'd take him back and "give me
a credit towards a different cat." As if I want another cat.

Cat ****, cat ****, cat dashing out the doors (he's an indoor cat,
dammit) and having to be chased... I've spent uncounted amounts of money
on trying different kitty litters, I've gotten him neutered and gotten
all his shots, I've bought food and toys and litter boxes (he has three)
and spend significant amounts of every day cleaning up after him. (He
also throws up about once a week but I recall our former cat doing that,
too.)

And was does this cat give us in return?

My husband says we should keep him because the kids and dog are attached
to him. He says, (and I'll quote) "I don't mind cleaning up cat ****."
Please note that in two months he's cleaned it up three times. I've
done about 40 times. Plus I clean all three litter boxes and wipe the
diarhea off the walls and clean up the puke.

My daughter is the primary cat lover in the family (I would have said I
liked cats, too, before this one) and she's out of town for the week. I
hate to return him without giving her a chance to plead for his life.

Someone else said it earlier: there's a cat out there who's going to be
put to death that deserves it a lot less than this one. But at this
point I'd have to be talked into even getting another cat ever again.
(This was my third cat and the only one that's ever made me feel this way.)

He's meowing loudly in the laundry-room right now. I feel like I've got
an autistic foster child in the house.

Dally

Old July 8th 04, 03:34 AM
Dally

KellyH wrote:

"Dally" wrote in message

We had to go away for nearly two weeks. I paid $110 for him to have
three visits a day. I confined him to a small room with his litter box
and closed off the bathroom he always evacuates his bowels in. (Can I
please say "****" now?) I got four urgent phone calls about his bowel
movements, but not because he had gone where he wasn't supposed to, but
because he had spraying diarhea. (I came back and washed the crap off
of the walls when I got home. He is such an incredibly disgusting foul
cat!)

He may have been stressed about the confinement and everyone being gone.

Actually, I think he got access to a houseplant he shouldn't have been
eating. He likes to chomp on the asparagus fern, jade tree and
philodendren. They appear to give him the runs. I meant to remove all
the houseplants, but a jade tree was accidently left in a room he had
access to for part of the time we were gone. (When I realized it I had
the pet-sitter move it... one of four phone calls I had from the
pet-sitter about this damn cat while we were on vacation.)

But he may have minded everyone being gone. He's a cat that is
particularly interested in hanging out where we are, which I like. He
doesn't like to be alone. (This is markedly different from my last cat
who couldn't care less if we were around.) That's why I paid petsitters
for so many visits.

Dally

Old July 8th 04, 03:54 AM
Dally

Cheryl wrote:

In the fine newsgroup "rec.pets.cats.health+behav", Dally
artfully composed this message within
on 07 Jul 2004:

Tell me one reason why I ought not to bring him back to the
shelter?

Because, Dally, he will be put to death. If you can live with that,
it certainly is your choice, I guess.

That definitely weighs heavily on me.

In these two months, your
household is probably way too hostile for him now.

I had to think about your accusation that the house might be too
hostile. We don't mistreat him in anyway. He's quite a nice cat -
affectionate, purrs easily, gets along well with everybody, enjoys
everybody's company (including our dog)... that's why we didn't return
him the first day. Or the first month. Or the second month.

But I'm not willing to live with cat **** every day. It's not HIM, it's
his behavior that I object to. I can distinguish.

No offense meant,
because I'm not so sure how I'd react; I've never had a cat with
incontenence problems yet.

No offense taken. I think maybe if I didn't run a professional business
from my home (and hence try to keep the powder-room presentable for
client-use) I wouldn't be so uptight about this. But even if it were
just me and my family, I never wanted to be one of those houses that you
walk into and find that it stinks to high heaven of pet ****.

We're currently successful pet owners of a dog (who has her Cannine Good
Citizen award), a parakeet, a gecko lizard, and an aquarium that has
been going for 10 years now. Our family cat passed away in February.
It's not like I've never dealt with pet issues before. I'm stunned that
this has me so flummoxed.

Dally

Old July 8th 04, 03:57 AM
Mary

"Dally" wrote :

He is such an incredibly disgusting foul
cat!)

It really does sound like it. And you have done your best. Yes, I would take
him back to the shelter--if it is "no kill," I would have no qualms about
it. Loving cats does not mean that you have to live with filth.

Old July 8th 04, 04:00 AM
Cheryl

In the fine newsgroup "rec.pets.cats.health+behav", Dally
artfully composed this message within
on 07 Jul 2004:

In these two months, your
household is probably way too hostile for him now.

I had to think about your accusation that the house might be too
hostile. We don't mistreat him in anyway. He's quite a nice
cat - affectionate, purrs easily, gets along well with
everybody, enjoys everybody's company (including our dog)...
that's why we didn't return him the first day. Or the first
month. Or the second month.

But I'm not willing to live with cat **** every day. It's not
HIM, it's his behavior that I object to. I can distinguish.

My first thought was, if you have to deal with cat **** daily like
you are, how are you reacting? If you react in an angry manner, or
even if you think you don't but ****ty Kitty is picking up on
negativity, that is what I meant by hostile. Seriously, you can't
help but act a certain way, particularly if you are posting here at
your wits end. Read Megan's email. She can probably help. You're
going to make your own decision based on what you can handle,
anyway, so it can't hurt to go see some suggestions. Best wishes
and purrs to you all.

--
Cheryl

My 24 hour kitty O J Cat anecdotes 39 August 20th 04 10:23 AM
A Gift from Mai Kitty David Cat anecdotes 20 May 2nd 04 09:50 PM
kitty vs puss Brenda Cat anecdotes 30 January 26th 04 05:28 PM
The Stray Kitty. (VERY LONG) Flippy Cat anecdotes 24 November 9th 03 10:48 PM