cat/dog trouble on the horizon? a cure?

Old June 1st 04, 12:03 AM
DSI

Default cat/dog trouble on the horizon? a cure?

it seems that were about to inherit a dog that we promised to take care
f -not that i mind, but the cat we now have does at this point. this will
be our 2nd dog, shes a minature dobie. anyhow, we brought her home the other
day and the cat freaked. she was quite upset and still sort of is -2 days
later. the cat is one we took in and got fixed at about 10 months. bringing
the dog home seemed to be rather traumatic for her, but the dog was just
interested and had no malicious intent. theyre both females but it seems
that its gonna be a task. theyre both females -go figure.
so what im wondering is; are these 2 ever gonna get along? its inevitable
that were going to wind up with the dog and im sure theyd get along fine if
it just werent for that cat/dog thing that the cat seems to be hung up on.
will they ever get along?
if anyone has some input or "been through that" stories, id love to hear
about it, since like i said, its gonna happen. i just want the critters to
live peacefully.
thanks for any help,
danny

Old June 4th 04, 06:50 AM
Crdamz

My cats and dogs have always gotten along through the years-- no matter who
arrived first. Usually, the adjustment seems a little easier if one or the
other is a young animal at the time, as it seems the adult animal then isn't as
threatened by the other one regardless of who "owns" the house first.(and all
this time, you thought you owned it, didn't you?) Unfortunately, you don't seem
to have this luxery...
All I can suggest is give the cat free reign of the house and confine the
dog's movement to a room or two for a while if possible.(maybe cat upstairs
only, dog downstairs? This means moving food dish and litter pan to 'cat only'
territory as well for a while) The cat can observe from a safe distance while
your first dog and this one set boundaries. Don't EVER force them together by
holding them nearby each other and trying to prove to them that the other is
not a threat--unless you like the idea of getting scratched and bitten. The cat
is going to deal with this interloper on her own terms, and that is all there
is to it. Be sure that the family gives the cat all the usual attetion she is
accustomed to and more, as we don't want her to think she is being replaced.
Pet the dog and then play with the cat and give her treats while you still have
the dog's scent on you so that she will begin to associate the smell of her
with good feelings and not a threatening situation. As she smells the dog on
family members, the other dog,(her 'friend'?)and throughout the house she will
become more accepting of the situation. I was going to suggest you not allow
the cat outside for a while, as she might be threatened enough to run away, but
at the same time too, if she is REALLY stressed by the dog's presence, perhaps
time outside alone would help her. So, I'd say that is your call, just be aware
that she may leave and not come back if she is that upset by the situation.
Good Luck!