Travelling with three cats

Old June 5th 04, 07:35 PM
David A. Barak

Default Travelling with three cats

Hi everyone,

We're going to be traveling across the country with three cats, two
neutered males about three years old, and an un-neutered male about
nine months old. One of the older cats only tolerates the younger one,
and the other older cat gets along okay with the young one. The two
older cats are fine together.

What's the best way to travel with them? I'm thinking of buying three
wire cages (wire, so they can see each other), and placing the older
cat that gets along with the other two between the other two. My wife
is thinking of putting the older cats together in a carrier, and the
young one alone in its own carrier.

Any thoughts on this? I don't know much about cat behavior, but I want
to make sure they're as comfortable as possible during the trip (three
or four days of solid driving).

Thanks for any help!

Dave
Old June 5th 04, 11:28 PM
ChildFree23

Why are you leaving your nine-month-old un-neutered?

ChildFree23
--
childfree twenty-three at earthlink dot net

om...

Old June 6th 04, 01:45 PM
David A. Barak

We will have him neutered at the vet once we arrive at our new home.
We understand the importance of it and will make sure he is healthy
and happy.

Old June 6th 04, 04:46 PM
ChildFree23

That was my first concern. I'll let you off the hook, since you've already
got plans to neuter him. :-)

ChildFree23

Old June 6th 04, 06:38 PM
Da Koster Katz

On 6/5/04 11:35 AM David A. Barak is reported to have said the following:

[...]

David, you might want to consider that carriers are probably a bit
sturdier and safer than wire cages, should there (heaven forbid) be an
accident. Less chance of injury because of the more enclosed space.
Also, separate carriers for each might be better, no matter how well
they get along. Rather akin to how you and your wife might want some
space after three or four days of being confined to the same vehicle ;-)

Are you going to be travelling by car, RV, stopping in hotels/motels?
You'll need to make sure you have some secure space (in the vehicle or a
room) to let them each out for litter box breaks, food, water, and a
little stretch without running the risk of losing them. But I'm sure
you've thought of this. :-)

Joan

--
****Dogs have owners. Cats have staff.****

Koster Katz: http://www.willapabay.org/~seabreez
RPCC Glossary: http://www.willapabay.org/~seabreez/glossary.html
Old June 6th 04, 11:54 PM
Mary Lu

Da Koster Katz wrote in message ...
[...]

When the Cooper Cats came down from Illinois, it was only a 1.5 day
trip with one night in a motel. The late lamented Sailor Baylor
Brown, his 'adopted' sister Lucilla, and Patrick (who had a temper)
started out in individual carriers but they fit in the largest carrier
I could fit into a 1984 Ford Tempo. They got along fine. Nobody
showed any interest in water, food or the litter box until we stopped
at the motel for the night (and I stopped every two hours). Since
your three don't get along equally, three carriers might be best. I
also got tags made with their names, and my sister's phone number
(including area code) just in case. We had no problems.
Weeellll, there was the new toy that Lu found while I was out to
supper......When we got to the motel, every one made a beeline to the
litter box. After I went out to buy my supper, I came back and Lu was
rolling something around the carpet. It was brown and round. About
two inches long. I got the tissue and picked it up to flush it. Then
I actually looked at in the bathroom light. Somebody's kid had thrown
several bits of Tootsie Roll under the bed and Lu had found
them....... :-) The Cooper Cats' mom
Old June 8th 04, 03:36 PM
Beverly Orel

My daughter recently drove from Montgomery, Alabama to Millburn, NJ with her
three cats. (approx 1000 miles, one overnight at motel) She used three
separate cages with a small litter pan, food and water in each. Her cats
are spayed females and get along OK, but no one wanted to share! She
brought them in at night when she stopped at the motel, although still in
the cages. Her cats are pretty frisky, and one is elusive --would probably
hide and be difficult to get back into the cage. If you do let one or more
out completely, she recommends the bathroom. Good luck on your trip!

Beverly