Post-spay not eating?

Old September 4th 04, 01:07 AM
Darkchild

Default Post-spay not eating?

Hi everyone - it's me again.

Millie has been home now for two days. She was spayed on Wednesday; the
day before she received her shots.

I don't think she has eaten since Tuesday night - I'm very worried. I
called the vet today, they said to come in tomorrow to get some a/d food
which should tempt her to eat.

I've tried both wet and dry food, I've tried wetting the dry food she
normally eats and microwaving it. I've even microwaved the wet food.
I've tried giving it to her on a spoon and on my finger and nothing.

In desperation, I gave her small spoon of the ice cream sundae I was
eating after lunch and she licked that off the spoon. She still seems to
be in a great deal of pain - I have not been able to give her her
anitbiotics which I was directed to grind up in her food. Are there
painkillers I can get for her?

She did drink a bunch of water last night but nothing today.

Any other suggestions? I googled this and some old posts suggested
yoghurt - I'm assuming plain will do? And baby food.

Please help - I'm very worried. I'd rather not force feed her unless I
really have to. She is very ticked off about the proceedure and I fear
force-feeding her will break the fragile bond we have.

Thanks,

DC

Old September 4th 04, 01:33 AM
Cheryl

In the fine newsgroup "rec.pets.cats.health+behav", Darkchild
artfully composed this message within
on 03 Sep 2004:

I have not been able to give her her
anitbiotics which I was directed to grind up in her food.

You might have to give them separate from food just to make sure
they get in. She's a kitten, right? Shouldn't be too hard.

She did drink a bunch of water last night but nothing today.

Any other suggestions? I googled this and some old posts
suggested yoghurt - I'm assuming plain will do? And baby food.

Baby food with no onions has worked for me with a sick cat. Put
that on your finger or a spoon, get a little bit on the top of her
nose so she has to lick it off, it might give her a taste for food.

Please help - I'm very worried. I'd rather not force feed her
unless I really have to. She is very ticked off about the
proceedure and I fear force-feeding her will break the fragile
bond we have.

If no food since Tuesday, fragile bond isn't crucial here. Food is
more important. Force feed if you have to until you can get more
help from the vet. Fluids may even be necessary to hydrate her in
order to make her hungry.

--
Cheryl

Old September 4th 04, 01:39 AM
PawsForThought

From: Darkchild

Millie has been home now for two days. She was spayed on Wednesday; the
day before she received her shots.

You mean she just received vaccines too?
What vaccines was she given?

I don't think she has eaten since Tuesday night - I'm very worried. I
called the vet today, they said to come in tomorrow to get some a/d food
which should tempt her to eat.

That is a long time to go without food. I think the vet should be doing more
than just giving you some A/D.

She still seems to
be in a great deal of pain - I have not been able to give her her
anitbiotics which I was directed to grind up in her food. Are there
painkillers I can get for her?

Yes, definitely. I really think you should take her to a vet tomorrow first
thing. Personally, I don't think cats should get vaccines at the same time as
spaying. Their immune system is already under a great deal of stress without
adding vaccines on top of it. She could even possibly be having a vaccine
reaction. The vet can prescribe a painkiller for your cat which should make her
feel better. But in my opinion, Millie definitely needs to be seen as soon as
possible.

She did drink a bunch of water last night but nothing today.

That's a good thing for her to drink so she doesn't get dehydrated. If you
gently grasp the loose skin on the back of her shoulders, it should spring back
fairly quickly. If it doesn't, it means she dehydrated.

Any other suggestions? I googled this and some old posts suggested
yoghurt - I'm assuming plain will do? And baby food.

Baby food is fine but no onion in it. Plain yogurt is okay too.

Please help - I'm very worried. I'd rather not force feed her unless I
really have to. She is very ticked off about the proceedure and I fear
force-feeding her will break the fragile bond we have.

You could try sprinkling a little parmesan cheese on some cat food, or even
trying feeding her some plain cooked chicken if she'll eat that.

Please let us know how she's doing tomorrow. I understand how worried you are
but I think she'll be fine once the vet checks her out.

Lauren

________
See my cats:
http://community.webshots.com/album/56955940rWhxAe
Declawing Info: http://www.wholecatjournal.com/articles/claws.htm
Old September 4th 04, 01:39 AM
PawsForThought

Old September 4th 04, 03:00 AM
Darkchild

From: Darkchild

Millie has been home now for two days. She was spayed on Wednesday; the
day before she received her shots.

You mean she just received vaccines too?
What vaccines was she given?

Yes. They gave her vaccines on Tuesday and performed the spay on Wed.
She had rabies, and FCRVP (?) and Tofeldine - I'm not sure which are
vaccines and which are medicines.

I don't think she has eaten since Tuesday night - I'm very worried. I
called the vet today, they said to come in tomorrow to get some a/d food
which should tempt her to eat.

That is a long time to go without food. I think the vet should be doing more
than just giving you some A/D.

I thought so too. The vet's office seemed pretty blase about the whole
thing. And I think she's coughing now or heaving. I moved her away from
a dusty corner she was in; she has stopped since then.

She still seems to
be in a great deal of pain - I have not been able to give her her
anitbiotics which I was directed to grind up in her food. Are there
painkillers I can get for her?

Yes, definitely. I really think you should take her to a vet tomorrow first
thing. Personally, I don't think cats should get vaccines at the same time as
spaying. Their immune system is already under a great deal of stress without
adding vaccines on top of it. She could even possibly be having a vaccine
reaction. The vet can prescribe a painkiller for your cat which should make her
feel better. But in my opinion, Millie definitely needs to be seen as soon as
possible.

That's what I thought too. I've called different a vet that is closer to
my home and who is a cat-only doctor. I hope to bring her in in the
morning. Since my last post I took Cheryl's advice and placed a bit of
wet food on her nose. She licked it off and then let me feed her about a
1/2 teaspoon of food via licking off my finger. I just tried again after
crushing up the antibiotic into this batch and she licked most of that
up too. I'll try again in a little while.

She did drink a bunch of water last night but nothing today.

That's a good thing for her to drink so she doesn't get dehydrated. If you
gently grasp the loose skin on the back of her shoulders, it should spring back
fairly quickly. If it doesn't, it means she dehydrated.

I could barely get a grasp of the skin around her shoulders - yikes.
Hoepfully she'll drink shortly if the eating is any indication.

Any other suggestions? I googled this and some old posts suggested
yoghurt - I'm assuming plain will do? And baby food.

Baby food is fine but no onion in it. Plain yogurt is okay too.

Will do. I'll get some ASAP.

Again this group has been very helpful. Thank-you so much for the advice.

DC

Old September 4th 04, 03:00 AM
Darkchild

Old September 4th 04, 05:20 PM
Darkchild

PawsForThought wrote:

Good to hear! Please let us know what the vet says and I hope Millie is
feeling better soon.

Took her to the vet who did the surgery as many vets near me aren't
working today because of the holiday.

Millie's temperature was high - they gave her fluids from an IV and a
shot of antibiotics. Apparently her uterus was infected when they spayed
her - I have no idea if that contributed to this.

I have to force feed her a/d for the next couple of days and pill her -
although I think I'll just mix the pill in with the food.

Brought her home to discover she had an accident in her carrier - she
peed on herself. I've tried to wipe her down with a damp cloth but it's
still quite a mess. I figure I'll give her a bit of time to rest and
then will try and bathe her? Or should I just continue to wipe her down?
She's fairly soaked through with urine in her hind quarters but I
figure she's traumatized enough without having a bath too. She resting
on a piece of plastic with newspaper underneath.

DC