Getting a cat to take Lysine

Old September 6th 04, 07:50 PM
jamie

Default Getting a cat to take Lysine

Iain Halder wrote:
One of my cats, BISCUIT, a sexy black and white has the recurring
conjunctivitis which many other cats have.

Would L-Lysine be beneficial for this?

It certainly could be, if it's caused by herpes.

Have you thoroughly cleaned all the places he likes to sleep?
Children can reinfect themselves with conjunctivitus from pillows
and blankets, I assume cats can reinfect themselves from bedding
as well.

--
jamie )

"There's a seeker born every minute."

Old September 9th 04, 08:51 AM
Kevin Krell

I believe Arginine, Argenine is the other side of the coin to
L-Lysine. That is, for humans at least, high amounts of argenine (in
Almonds, for instance) tends to faciliatate a reoccurrence of Herpes
symptoms. L-Lysine reduces them.

Kevin

Iain Scott-Halder wrote:
BISCUIT shares the house with two other female cats, JADE & MAGI, and
they all hang around and sleep in the same bedding variously througfh
the week. All three especially love the big open box with the cut out
window and push open 'door' at the top of a pile of boxes.

We clean the bedding fairly frequently but it's one of these things
which has never cleared though BISCUIT is healthy and vigorous in
every other way. None of the other cats have ever had this infection.
We had a previous B&W cat called WHIFF who had exactly the same
problem.

When it gets very bad I clean her eye out with damp cotton wool but
this distresses her though she does let me give it the occasional wipe
with my thumb to get small amounts of gunge away in the morning.

The vets have said it a was a congenital thing contracted when she was
a kitten and cannot really be cured.

However most vets - like medics everywhere - are not entirely up to
date with or informed about alternative therapies. When I saw the
reference to L-Lysine for eye problems I enquired further as I am
generally a great believer in (proven & referenced) alternative
therapy.

As an example, we give MAGI who has serious health issues amini acids
(Ornithine & Arginine) designed to detoxify ammonia in her system
along with lactulose and this has helped her no end.

I'll try and read up some research on this Lysine for eyes and if it
has application will give it a go then get back later to report to the
newsgroup if it worked.

Iain

On 6 Sep 2004 18:50:04 GMT, (jamie) wrote:

Iain Halder wrote:

One of my cats, BISCUIT, a sexy black and white has the recurring
conjunctivitis which many other cats have.

Would L-Lysine be beneficial for this?

It certainly could be, if it's caused by herpes.

Have you thoroughly cleaned all the places he likes to sleep?
Children can reinfect themselves with conjunctivitus from pillows
and blankets, I assume cats can reinfect themselves from bedding
as well.

'o' Rescued Cats & Kittens Needing Homes 'o'
www.celiahammond.org 'o'