diabetes ???s and food issues

Old September 9th 04, 05:15 PM

am (DG511)

What was your cats BG number?

It was 288. In June, all of his numbers
were completely normal, so it seems like
this came on suddenly. (We did blood
work for a dental then.)

High BG can be brought on by infection (possibly related to his teeth)
and stress, and at this number, I wouldn't be in a hurry to put your cat
on insulin. My guess is that if you switch to a canned diet on a 12 hour
schedule and completely eliminate dry food your cat's numbers will go
back to normal. The sooner you do this, the better. The smartest thing
you can do is get a glucose monitor, learn to use it and start checking
his bg at home. You can do an intial curve yourself every 2 hours over a
12 hour period starting right before he gets his morning meal (give no
food until the end of the curve). This will be much more accurate than a
curve done at the vet as stress associated with being at the vet all day
tends to raise bg numbers. After that you can check him for a little
bit once right before he eats and then at 4 and 6 hours after that. This
will give you a good idea of what his body his doing without insulin and
tell you if he's reverting back to normal numbers with just diet and low
stress. I highly recommend the One Touch Ultra monitor.

Is he overweight?

No. He weighed 12 pounds in June, and
10.4 pounds when I took him in
Wednesday. He's always been in the 11-12
pound range, and the vet has always
considered that appropriate.

Good.

=A0=A0
By saying high protein,
your vet is really saying low-carbs. The
best diet for a diabetic cat is a canned
low-carb diet and NO DRY FOOD. I'm
working with a diabetic cat right now
that switched from dry to canned and
just doing that brought his BG down over
200 points.

How did you make the switch? I had two
dry food bowls out (two feeding
locations) and pulled the big one.

If they like the canned, just do it. Measure out what they need in daily
calories to maintain weight and feed half of that every 12 hours. In
the beginning, since they are used to snacking, they may not eat
everything all at once so it would be ok to leave it out longer at
first. Eventually they'll eat everything in a half hour or less.

Wellness *canned* is a perfect food for
diabetic cats and most flavors are lower
in carbs than the prescription diets,
not to mention much better quality.

My vet had heard that Wellness was good
-- she mentioned that before I left her
office yesterday -- but didn't have any
data on hand to compare it to Purina DM.
(Her partner specializes in pet
nutrition issues, and they do discuss
cases like this, so I may ask her to get
the partner's input.) Is there an online
source that compares the various
catfoods?

This page did not work just now, but maybe it's just down for a minute:

http://www.sugarcats.net/sites/jmpeerson/canfood.html

These are "as fed" numbers for carb%
which are more accurate than the
guaranteed analysis numbers:

Purina DM 7

Wellness:
Turkey & Salmon 3.2
Chicken 4.2
Turkey 2.5
Beef & Chicken 2.2
Chicken & Lobster 4.8

Salmon &Trout 7.7
Sardines, Shrimp & Crab 5.9
Chicken & Herring 5.9

These are great numbers! If this is from
an on-line source, can you provide the
link so I can check it myself?

No, I called the company, got the "as fed" numbers and then used the
standard formula for calculating on a dry matter basis. They're
accurate.

Megan

nothing."

-Edmund Burke

Learn The TRUTH About Declawing
http://www.stopdeclaw.com

Zuzu's Cats Photo Album:
http://www.PictureTrail.com/zuzu22

way."

- W.H. Murray

Old September 9th 04, 09:45 PM
jamie

am (DG511)

What was your cats BG number?

It was 288. In June, all of his numbers
were completely normal, so it seems like
this came on suddenly. (We did blood
work for a dental then.)

High BG can be brought on by infection (possibly related to his teeth)
and stress, and at this number, I wouldn't be in a hurry to put your cat
on insulin. My guess is that if you switch to a canned diet on a 12 hour
schedule and completely eliminate dry food your cat's numbers will go
back to normal. The sooner you do this, the better. The smartest thing
you can do is get a glucose monitor, learn to use it and start checking
his bg at home.

[snipped]
I highly recommend the One Touch Ultra monitor.

I've heard a lot of recommendations for that one. I bought the Bayer
Elite, because locally the strips were somewhat cheaper, and I find it
very easy to use.

LeMieux was only about 340 bg when he was diagnosed (in a crisis where
he stopped eating and drinking for 48 hours, and was just hiding under
the spare bed), and he stays within the normal bg range at home after
a change of diet.

I checked his bg twice a day before feeding for the first 3 weeks
he was home, but since he was never above 120, so I wasn't giving
him any insulin, I never did a curve on him.

After that I reduced to testing once a week for a while, and then to
twice a month. If I notice an unusual amount of water disappearing
from the water dish, or more clumps than usual in his end of the
litterbox (they conveniently use opposite ends) I spotcheck his bg.

Frugal Feline Diabetes site
(has nutrition listings for canned and dry foods)
http://www.sugarcats.net/sites/jmpeerson/frugal.html
http://www.sugarcats.net/sites/jmpeerson/canfood.html
http://www.sugarcats.net/sites/jmpeerson/dryfood.html

Home Testing of Blood Glucose for Diabetic Cats
By Margie Scherk DVM, ABVP
(home testing movie, Windows Media or Realplayer)
http://www.veterinarypartner.com/con...&S=O&C=O&A=605

Harry's Home Testing Page - (good close-up photos)
http://www.sugarcats.net/sites/harry/bgtest.htm

Punkin's Home Testing Movie -
http://tlb.best.vwh.net/bg_punkin/test_bg.html

DVM the Newsmagazine of Veterinary Medicine
At Home Diabetes Management -
http://www.dvmnewsmagazine.com/dvm/a...l.jsp?id=13315

Blood Glucose Monitoring -
http://www.dvmnewsmagazine.com/dvm/a...il.jsp?id=5336

VSPN discussion on Home Testing -
http://www.vspn.org/Library/Rounds/VSPN_LC011209.htm

Feline Diabetes
http://www.felinediabetes.com/index.html

Pet Diabetes
http://www.petdiabetes.org/

--
jamie )

"There's a seeker born every minute."

Old September 10th 04, 01:53 AM
Phil P.

Thanks for the responses. I took a quick look at www.felinediabetes.com

and
bookmarked it.

It is a *HUGE* relief to read that Wellness is a good food for diabetic

cats!
My cats love it so much, and I think it's been the main reason my CRF

kitty's
numbers went back into the normal range. I don't want to have to juggle

one
cat's health against the other's, and if I can continue feeding Wellness,

that
removes that headache.

I'm going to call my vet tomorrow and talk further (today is her day off).

She
gave me some Purina DM, and I gave Eddie a couple of tablespoons this

morning.
He gobbled it right down. I then put out the usual Wellness.

I think the challenge now is to transition the two cats to an all-canned

diet.
They love their crunchies, but I think what I will do is put down another

small
can of Wellness in the evening and gradually decrease the dry food down to

1/4
cup per day, then see if I can get rid of it altogether.

writes:

What was your cats BG number?

It was 288. In June, all of his numbers were completely normal, so it

seems
like this came on suddenly.

Cats are notorious for stress hyperglycemia which is often mistaken for
diabetes. From the time you put your cat in the carrier until the blood
is drawn, enough time elapsed for the cat's defensive mechanisms to kick in
and for physiologic hyperglycemia to develop.

Did your vet check your cat's urine for glucosuria and/or order a serum
fructosamine or blood glycosylated hemoglobin test to rule out physiological
hyperglycemia caused by stress? SF and GHb aren't affected by stress. Both
tests show what the blood glucose concentrations were during the previous 2
to 4 weeks and 2to 3 months.

Phil

Old September 10th 04, 01:53 AM
Phil P.

Old September 10th 04, 04:05 PM

He had two other blood tests in June,
with the accompanying stress, and they
showed normal blood glucose, so I'm
wondering how this could have come on
so quickly.

It's possible he has pancreatitis, which would cause this to happen so
suddenly. I worked with a cat that fit into this category, and he is
now off insulin, is on a canned diet and has normal numbers. I would
definitely talk to your vet about this possibility and investigate
further.