Good cat dirt?

Old September 9th 04, 10:02 AM
Alison

Hi Michael,
Cats like very finely dug over soil that they can rake easily . In my
cats litter box I use Pettex Clean Paws , its very fine sandy like
litter. Kim doesn't really like crystals or heavy litter.
Cats don't like citrus smells . Pets at home or Pets mart have
somehting called Get off my garden , It's green non toxic crystals and
its effective. You could also go round to your neighbours and clean up
anything they do .
Alison

"Michael" wrote in message
om...
I have a problem. Two outdoor cats, one that never really adjusted

a litterbox. I live in a duplex, and they like my neighbors garden.

Is there something I could do to make a 4 ft by 5 ft plot of dirt
attractive to these little guys?

I was thinking of a couple of things, dunno how to go about any of
them.

1) Attractive textured dirt. I could turn it over every few weeks
with a shovel or add another layer.

2) Some spray or substance either to put on the cats plot to attract
them or the neighbor's plot to repel them. Maybe black pepper
liberally strewn about the neighbor's garden?

I'm open to suggestion and am willing to spend some money if I have
to.

Michael

Old September 9th 04, 04:03 PM
Sunflower

"Michael" wrote in message
om...
I have a problem. Two outdoor cats, one that never really adjusted to
a litterbox. I live in a duplex, and they like my neighbors garden.

Is there something I could do to make a 4 ft by 5 ft plot of dirt
attractive to these little guys?

I was thinking of a couple of things, dunno how to go about any of
them.

1) Attractive textured dirt. I could turn it over every few weeks
with a shovel or add another layer.

2) Some spray or substance either to put on the cats plot to attract
them or the neighbor's plot to repel them. Maybe black pepper
liberally strewn about the neighbor's garden?

I'm open to suggestion and am willing to spend some money if I have
to.

Michael

Keep the dirt in the center freshly turned over (and scooped) just like you
would a litter box. Plant some catmint and catnip around the edges. You'll
probably want to protect the plants with chicken wire the first year so the
cats don't squash them out of existance.

Old September 10th 04, 08:32 AM
Judy

"Michael" wrote in message
om...
I have a problem. Two outdoor cats, one that never really adjusted to
a litterbox. I live in a duplex, and they like my neighbors garden.

Is there something I could do to make a 4 ft by 5 ft plot of dirt
attractive to these little guys?

I was thinking of a couple of things, dunno how to go about any of
them.

1) Attractive textured dirt. I could turn it over every few weeks
with a shovel or add another layer.

2) Some spray or substance either to put on the cats plot to attract
them or the neighbor's plot to repel them. Maybe black pepper
liberally strewn about the neighbor's garden?

I'm open to suggestion and am willing to spend some money if I have
to.

Michael

A couple of years ago when my neighbour let me know that my Matilda was
doing her business in her yard - a large pot with a tree in it, to be exact.

I bought two bags of topsoil and dumped them into a corner of my yard. Then
as I picked up Matilda and dropped her on it, I said, "Here Matilda, this is
for you! Go to Rita's again and you're in big trouble!"

She said, "Oh Oh!" and used it immediately. :c)

A month after I introduced Matilda to "her" outdoor facilities, I asked
Rita whether Matilda had pooped in her pot again and she said, "No." :c)

So, perhaps try some top soil. I "fluff" it up every now and then. Works for
me!