kepping cats off window ledge

Old September 9th 04, 03:17 PM
MaryL

"Elijah" wrote in message
Hi. There's a long window above our bed which the cats love to jump
on and prowl around on when we sleep. A couple of times they've
jumped on our stomachs getting down, which is no fun at all. Last
night one of them landed on my face, giving me some unsightly and
painful scratches. Any ideas how I can keep them off the ledge? I
don't want to put anything heavy up there or they might decide to push
it down on our heads. And we like the bed where it is now.
thanks
Elijah

I had a similar situation when I visited my sister. In my case, my cat
would use the edge of the bed to jump to a window ledge where we had
attached a seat, then would also jump from the window to the bed. I did
have fears that she might inadvertently scratch my eyes in one of those
leaps -- so, I put my pillow at the foot of the bed and slept with my

feet
to the wall when I was visiting. That protected my eyes, I wasn't

concerned
about whether Holly might land on my feet (covered with blankets), and I
slept just as well using that "reverse" arrangement. You might also
consider moving the ledge to another area of the room. Of course, the

best
idea is the ramp that Sherry and Karen suggested, but I added my

suggestions
in case that won't work for you.

MaryL

Sorry...ignore the part of my message where I suggested moving the ledge.
That's obviously impossible since this is a *window* ledge!

MaryL

Old September 9th 04, 03:27 PM
Phil P.

"Elijah" wrote in message
Hi. There's a long window above our bed which the cats love to jump
on and prowl around on when we sleep. A couple of times they've
jumped on our stomachs getting down, which is no fun at all. Last
night one of them landed on my face, giving me some unsightly and
painful scratches. Any ideas how I can keep them off the ledge? I
don't want to put anything heavy up there or they might decide to push
it down on our heads. And we like the bed where it is now.
thanks
Elijah

If you don't have enough room for a ramp, you can use staggered wall shelves
as steps or vertical wall shelves with staggered climb-through holes.
Bookshelf kits can also be adapted for vertical climbing without damaging
the wall. Floor to ceiling scratching poles with perches are another
alternative.

http://maxshouse.com/Environmental_E...l_walkways.htm

Old September 9th 04, 04:47 PM
Barb

Play it safe and compromise: move the bed.

--
Barb
Of course I don't look busy,

Old September 9th 04, 05:21 PM
Elijah

On Thu, 09 Sep 2004 12:26:25 GMT, Elijah
wrote:

Hi. There's a long window above our bed which the cats love to jump
on and prowl around on when we sleep. A couple of times they've
jumped on our stomachs getting down, which is no fun at all. Last
night one of them landed on my face, giving me some unsightly and
painful scratches. Any ideas how I can keep them off the ledge? I
don't want to put anything heavy up there or they might decide to push
it down on our heads. And we like the bed where it is now.
thanks
Elijah

thanks for all the suggestions. They are all cat-friendly suggestions
tho. I'd rather deny them access to the window ledge entirely if
possible, rather than building a ramp or steps.

Old September 9th 04, 05:38 PM
Sherry

wrote:

Hi. There's a long window above our bed which the cats love to jump
on and prowl around on when we sleep. A couple of times they've
jumped on our stomachs getting down, which is no fun at all. Last
night one of them landed on my face, giving me some unsightly and
painful scratches. Any ideas how I can keep them off the ledge? I
don't want to put anything heavy up there or they might decide to push
it down on our heads. And we like the bed where it is now.
thanks
Elijah

thanks for all the suggestions. They are all cat-friendly suggestions
tho. I'd rather deny them access to the window ledge entirely if
possible, rather than building a ramp or steps.

What were you looking for? Somebody to tell you to shut the bedroom door? Or
instructions to electrify the ledge?

Sherry