Yes, there *are* cat-friendly landlords

Old April 19th 06, 05:29 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

Default Yes, there *are* cat-friendly landlords

Dan M wrote:

Oh. Thanks - but why would they not do that? Seems to me the county
would be a lot more secure source than an individual! (At least they
could be sure the checks wouldn't bounce!)

I asked my landlord about that. He said Section 8 renters were more
likely
to move out with no notice, more likely to damage the premises (and the
coverage offered by the government agencies is minimal and slow in
coming), and a lot more likely to be problem tenants. At least, that has
been his experience.

Apparently a lot of others feel the same way, judging by the number of
rental ads in the Penny Saver that say "no section 8 or pets". I know a
couple of "Section 8" tenants (both are Viet Nam vets with psychological
problems - the reason why I was confused about what it meant). Neither
seems the sort to be a "problem" tenant, but I don't know them that well.

The ideal Sec 8 tenant is an older person on disability. They stay put,
don't tear the place up and have a small guaranteed income.

How willing landlords will be depends on what other options they have. The
economy around here is so bad and the low income housing so scarce that sec
8 looks good to them.

Jo

Old April 20th 06, 09:12 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

Jo Firey wrote:
"EvelynVogtGamble(Divamanque)" wrote in
message ...

Dan M wrote:

[...]

When I first moved into this apartment almost 10 years ago, my neighbor
(this is like a duplex apartment setup, only one adjoined neighbor) was an
older lady in a wheelchair. Oh, she could walk but she didn't when she
didn't have to, which was fine with me. She had a big old dog and when my
dog Sampson died I gave her some of his toys and treats.

Anyway, you'd never have expected her to high tail it out of there without
paying her rent. She did just that. Can't judge a book by its cover. She
left without a word one day while I was at work. The apartment manager
called me a few days later and asked if I'd seen her. Nope. She sent the
handymen over to look around. Everything was gone except she'd left the
apartment in a total wreck but still had some things in the storage shed off
the patio.

Her son had the nerve to call up and ask if he could come get her stuff from
the storage room. The landlady said, "Excuse me?! She left without any
notice! She still owes us a month's rent and her security deposit be used
to to clean up the place!" The apartment manager had the locks changed and
wouldn't let them have access to the apartment or the storage room.

She shook her head and said to me, "Jill, we made every accommodation for
that woman. She lived here 6 years. We had a ramp installed for her
wheelchair; we had bars installed in her bathtub. When we had cookouts by
the pool [Note: they do that all the time, hotdogs, burgers, veggie burgers
and bring your own tater salad, cole slaw, whatever] and she couldn't or
wouldn't come, so someone always took her a plate. Then she just up and
left without a word. Sounds like some of John's tenants, although he wasn't
providing food and they didn't stay so long.

Jill

Old April 20th 06, 06:02 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

Default Yes, there *are* cat-friendly landlords LONG BUT USEFUL

jmcquown wrote:

EvelynVogtGamble(Divamanque) wrote:

dnr wrote:

There is a terrible habit
among landlords out west here of charging "pet rent" - usually $10
to $30 a month - on TOP of your usual apt. rent (I never saw this
in FL
but that might have just been area I lived in);

I've never encountered it in the Los Angeles area, either,
until just recently. Fortunately, there are enough "pet
friendly" buildings here, along with those that simply
charge a pet deposit, so I could simply tell that
prospective landord to "Take a hike!"

Some apartments in the Memphis, TN area charge extra pet rent,
others don't. They *all* charge a pet deposit if they accept pets;
some of the pet deposits are outrageous ($500/month per pet). My
apartment complex only charged $125 but tacked on an extra $10/month
in "pet rent". After a few years it went up to $15/month. When I
lost my job the apartment manager waived the monthly pet rent for
me. Every little bit helps.

I agree $500 is outrageous, but if it's a monthly charge

EEEEP! I meant $500 per pet, not per month! And even per pet it's
outrageous. Then the monthly pet rent of $10, 15, some places 20 or 25
dollars extra per month. (You see I was typing at 5AM. I haven't had any
sleep for a few days due to problems with pain in my right shoulder and
arm.)

Jill

Old April 21st 06, 03:33 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

jmcquown wrote:

EEEEP! I meant $500 per pet, not per month! And even per pet it's
outrageous. Then the monthly pet rent of $10, 15, some places 20 or 25
dollars extra per month. (You see I was typing at 5AM. I haven't had any
sleep for a few days due to problems with pain in my right shoulder and
arm.)

I have a simlar problem - I find it bothers me a lot less
when I don't use the computer so much, but who wants to do that?

Old April 21st 06, 07:39 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

"Karen" wrote in message
news
My current apartment complex accepts pets. Fin had his own security
deposit, which was 3 times mine (only half of it was non-refundable),
his own rent, AND his own lease. It said that all cats had to be
declawed, but I made them take that out. They needed a picture and
a vet's checkup note saying he was healthy. I still haven't gotten
a picture of Rita over to them. Oh well.
Believe me, after my last miserable apartment fiasco, I spent over an
hour reading this lease over carefully, word by word.

Jane
- owned and operated by Princess Rita

Why on earth would they want a vet checkup to say the cat is
healthy?????????? **BOGGLE**

Can't say for your locale, but I am very familiar (several
residences way far from each other) with
city/county/province codes, ordinances,
and licensing requirements.
Some places you can get away with ignoring them;
many condo HOA's and rental complexes mandate
compliance with, *in writing* for their records.
And we are talking registering pets and wearable tags.

Old April 21st 06, 07:55 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

I'm not surprised your landlord would give preference to cat-families. Here in
Buffalo, it's routine.

Buffalo and the inner-ring suburbs have a rat problem of majestic proportion.
While the city recently implemented a closed-trash can ordinance, the vermin
still spawn, and the vast majority of landlords want the cats. Many apartments
are over businesses. I lived in one place over a nail shop, and the health
codes are strict; if the guy--the owner and a nail artist himself--had been
found with a rat in his place, it would have been lights out for him. Around
here, most of the ads that say "no pets" really mean no dogs, and even then I
think it's just a ruse to screen applicants. No landlord in a bad neighborhood
turns down the guy with an obedience-trained Rottweiler.

Blessed be,
Baha

Dan M wrote:

When Nancy and I were looking for a rental property 4 years ago (it's hard
to believe we've been here this long) we had an awful time finding a place
that was big enough for us and would allow our three (at that time)
kitties. We were delighted to finally find this place.

We're in one unit of a four-unit complex, arranged as two duplexes. Both
units in the other building are now vacant, and the the other unit in our
building will be vacant in a month or so. I was talking to the landlord
last week and learned his plans regarding the vacant units.

John knows that we are feeding two outside kitties in addition to our
indoor fur-family. He says that he is going to give preference to other
kitty-families when screening other potential renters

Old April 23rd 06, 10:38 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

Pat wrote:

But Pat, I'll bet you never called and harrassed some poor guy you'd never
met who simply inherited your phone number by the luck of the draw at the
office, did you? I mean, it was really rude, foul stuff she was saying.
F*** me! Give me that big hard ****.

I don't know too many guys who would take offense at hearing that from a
woman....

I know a lot of guys who would either find it offensive or embarrassing.
Rob would have told her to get help before hanging up on her.

Pam S.
Old April 28th 06, 04:28 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

"jmcquown" wrote in message

[...]

Oh I remember the pool side BBQ we used to have in my building.
Since management changed, we didn't have those anymore.
But we now have our annual Christmas 'Meet and Greet' in the
party room. You don't have to be worried about getting too much
to drink, as all you have to do is to take the elevator to go home.

Winnie

Old April 28th 06, 04:30 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

"dnr" wrote in message

Can't say for your locale, but I am very familiar (several
residences way far from each other) with
city/county/province codes, ordinances,
and licensing requirements.
Some places you can get away with ignoring them;
many condo HOA's and rental complexes mandate
compliance with, *in writing* for their records.
And we are talking registering pets and wearable tags.

At one time, the condo board wanted to pass a new bylaw
to restrict the size of pets allowed. They also wanted to have
proof of vaccinations. But we never got enough owners to
attend the annual meeting to cast a vote.

Winnie