Melbourne Cup Day

Old November 4th 03, 02:23 AM
Gizela

Default Melbourne Cup Day

I was just wondering whether any none-Australians (as most of you probably
are) have heard much about the Melbourne Cup.....it is huge here (in
Oz)....I never bet on anything (as I always lose) but so far have spent $20
(through the TAB and on work sweeps)......

Purrs that I won *something*.....

Angela and Gizmo

Old November 4th 03, 02:42 AM
Bev

Gizela wrote:

I was just wondering whether any none-Australians (as most of you probably
are) have heard much about the Melbourne Cup.....it is huge here (in
Oz)....I never bet on anything (as I always lose) but so far have spent $20
(through the TAB and on work sweeps)......

Purrs that I won *something*.....

Angela and Gizmo

New Zealanders are just as mad on the Melbourne Cup as you Angela. I
am going to spend $20 on bets and shortly am going up to the local club
to watch it on the big screen. Lets hope we both win, lol.

Bev
--
God may have created man before woman but there is always a rough draft
before the masterpiece.
Old November 4th 03, 04:09 AM
David Stevenson

Gizela wrote
I was just wondering whether any none-Australians (as most of you probably
are) have heard much about the Melbourne Cup.....it is huge here (in
Oz)....I never bet on anything (as I always lose) but so far have spent $20
(through the TAB and on work sweeps)......

Purrs that I won *something*.....

Naturally having read everything by Dick Francis that I can find I
have heard of the Melbourne Cup!

--
David Stevenson Storypage: http://blakjak.com/sty_menu.htm
Liverpool, England, UK Emails welcome
Old November 4th 03, 05:22 AM
Marina

"Gizela" u wrote
I was just wondering whether any none-Australians (as most of you probably
are) have heard much about the Melbourne Cup.....it is huge here (in
Oz)....I never bet on anything (as I always lose) but so far have spent

$20
(through the TAB and on work sweeps)......

Purrs that I won *something*.....

I'm sorry, I don't have a clue what you're talking about, but will send
winning purrs your way.
--
Marina, Frank and Nikki

Old November 4th 03, 05:54 AM
Vicki J

Tee hee ... got second place in a friend's work sweepstake and had a
tiny "flutter" on the horse that came third because the trainer has
the same surname as me! This punting sure is a scientific business!

Vicki
Old November 4th 03, 07:45 AM
Yoj

I heard about it on another newsgroup. ;-) It sounds as though it
might be the equivalent of our Kentucky Derby. Good luck!

--
Joy

"You can never do a kindness too soon because you never know how soon it
will be too late." _Ralph Waldo Emerson

"Gizela" u wrote in
message ...

Old November 4th 03, 11:06 AM
Tish S

Bev wrote in message ...
Gizela wrote:

I was just wondering whether any none-Australians (as most of you probably
are) have heard much about the Melbourne Cup.....it is huge here (in
Oz)....I never bet on anything (as I always lose) but so far have spent $20
(through the TAB and on work sweeps)......

Purrs that I won *something*.....

Angela and Gizmo

New Zealanders are just as mad on the Melbourne Cup as you Angela. I
am going to spend $20 on bets and shortly am going up to the local club
to watch it on the big screen. Lets hope we both win, lol.

Bev

I spent up big - all of $3 in the work sweep. I didn't win a thing.
We even had a prize for whomever picked the horse who came last and I
didn't win that either!

Tish - relishing being able to post again!
Old November 4th 03, 11:26 AM
Kathryn

"Gizela" u wrote in message
I was just wondering whether any none-Australians (as most of you probably
are) have heard much about the Melbourne Cup.....it is huge here (in
Oz)....I never bet on anything (as I always lose) but so far have spent

$20
(through the TAB and on work sweeps)......

I went in the sweep at work, didn't win anything! Incidentally, my brother
tells me that the owner of the winning horse bet $700 grand on his horse...
profit of $35 million or thereabouts! Not sure where he heard this, but wow!

Kathryn

Old November 4th 03, 11:31 AM
Kathryn

I went in the sweep at work, didn't win anything! Incidentally, my brother
tells me that the owner of the winning horse bet $700 grand on his

horse...
profit of $35 million or thereabouts! Not sure where he heard this, but

wow!

correction, he won $700 thousand. Now, thats reasonable! :P

Old November 4th 03, 11:55 AM
lewe

"Gizela" u wrote in message
I was just wondering whether any none-Australians (as most of you probably
are) have heard much about the Melbourne Cup.....it is huge here (in
Oz)....I never bet on anything (as I always lose) but so far have spent

$20
(through the TAB and on work sweeps)......

Purrs that I won *something*.....

Angela and Gizmo

Nope, sorry but I never heard of it. Do you drink from it? - or is it some
kind of dessert, maybe a cousin of Coupe Melba? If so, do you win if you eat
more than anyone else?
why do you have to pay to sweep at work? tabs?
CFP
(Confused Swedish Person)
--
:: lewe
lewemi at yahoo dot se || cat pics: photos.yahoo.com/lewemi