OT....About The Melbourne Cup

Old November 7th 03, 08:33 PM
Tanada

Yoj wrote:

David Weber is the author of a series of scifi novels about a
character named Honor Harrington, an officer in a space navy. Other
authors have joined in and written some short stories based on the
characters from the novels. I have nine of the novels, and one
collection of short stories. The first novel starts out with Honor a
new captain getting her first command, and in the last novel she's an
admiral.
--
Steve Touchstone,
remove Junk for email

Sounds interesting. I'll have to look the next time I go to the
library. It's been a while since I've read any Sci-Fi, in spite of the
fact that I have two shelves full. Well, I did recently re-read the H.
Beam Piper Fuzzy books, for the umpteenth time.

OOOH, I LOVE H. Beam Piper, especially the Fuzzy series. It is a yearly
must read for me.

The Honor Harrington series reminds me of Forrester's "Horatio
Hornblower" series, which should be a must read for anyone who is
fascinated by the "romance" of the sail navy. It is pretty graphic in
some places with the descriptions of the life lead by the lower officers
and ranks. It also explained some stuff I'd always wondered about, like
re-provisioning at sea.

One of the things I find charming about Honor is her treecat, Nimitz.
It is one of the most human things about her, and she's a very human
captain, especially in her later books when Weber started to relax a lot
when writing her stories.

Rob and I have recently discovered Lois Bujold's "Miles Vorkosigan"
series. The planet that Miles comes from has a distinctly slavic turn
to it, is a dog eat dog world, and Miles is a misfit within it. His
main ability is the talent to get people to do their best work for him.
He's an incredible character.

Any other Science Fiction or fantasy series you're particularly fond of?

Pam S. who loves to hear about new books or series of books
Old November 7th 03, 11:53 PM
Yoj

"Tanada" wrote in message
Yoj wrote:

[...]

For adventurous fun, there's Harry Harrison's Stainless Steel Rat
series. For sheer silliness and lots of puns, you can't beat Piers
Anthony's Xanth series.

Joy

Old November 8th 03, 10:50 PM
Kim Walters

"Tanada" wrote in message
Yoj wrote:

[...]

David Eddings (he has a new book starting a new series out) does mostly epic
(3-5 book series) adventure mixing gods and magic

Anne McCaffrey does a lot of fantasy. I love her PERN books and her tower
(Rowan) series

Marion Zimmer Bradley and her Darkover books are very good. After her death
Deborah J Ross is writing completing a trilogy.

John Gregory Bentancourt is writing a "prequel" trilogy in the late Roger
Zelazny's Amber series.

Elizabeth Moon is writing a series that is also a "space navy" series that
is really good.

I find I like 3-10 book series or short stories.

--
-Kim

owned by Egbert, Niobe, Sekhar and Rocket
take the cat out before you reply
one cat just leads to another...

http://photos.yahoo.com/sir_eg_of_bert

Old November 8th 03, 11:56 PM
John Biltz

On Sat, 8 Nov 2003 14:50:09 -0800, Kim Walters wrote
(in message Bqerb.149642$e01.522186@attbi_s02):

Go to
http://www.baen.com/library/
This is a free downloadable libray maintained by the publisher. It has
several books there including the first two Honor Harrington books by
David Weber. It will take you to the front page then click authors on
the left menu. You can choose which format but I think the html is the
easiest to read. Its not a large download a few hundred k a book. Its
is there for exactly the purpose you want, people looking for new authors
and want to try a book or two of an author. I use a laptop and find at
night it is easier on the eyes than a book with a light. During the day
I still like the paper more. I configure the screen lighting and size
the page to about half the screen width and set the font to a comfortable
easy to read size. Sometimes its a good thing to have 20 books on your
laptop if you are stuck somewhere unexpected.

The first several Honor Harrington books were very good reads, Towards
the end of the series as she gained rank and titles it got so political I
pretty much lost interest in it. But thats several thousand pages away.
The first one is On Basilek Station and the second is Honor of the Queen.

If you are looking for military Sci-Fi I really recomend John Ringo. He
wrote a series with Weber that all start out with March in the title.
March Up Country the first is on the site. The March series has 3 books
in it I would guess a couple not done yet. He also wrote a series that
did not have a title and has come to be called the Saga of the Adalanta.
That one has 4 books in it and is done for awhile. He wrapped it up for
now but says he is planning on going back to it in the future, A Hymn
Before Battle, the first is on the site. Former Infantry guy in the 82d.
I like him enough to have him in hardcover. When I bought the last in
the series, Hell's Faire it had a cd in it that had everything he ever
wrote including an audio of the book. It also had the third Honor book
and one of the collection of Honor short stories. It also said to feel
free to distribute but not to sell anything on the cd so if you like him
I can send the others to you. He's a new author and pretty prolific so
far. David Drake has several books there as well and is pretty much the
standard for Military Sci-Fi.

Old November 9th 03, 02:08 AM
Yoj

"Tanada" wrote in message
Yoj wrote:

[...]

I used to love short stories, but as I get ol - uh, more mature, G I
find I prefer novels. I love series of several books, because I get
attached to the characters in a good book and don't want to let them go.
It is wonderful when I know that there are more books about the same
people.

Joy

Old November 9th 03, 04:29 AM
Steve Touchstone

On Sat, 08 Nov 2003 23:56:38 GMT, John Biltz
wrote:

On Sat, 8 Nov 2003 14:50:09 -0800, Kim Walters wrote
(in message Bqerb.149642$e01.522186@attbi_s02):

Go to
http://www.baen.com/library/

Thanks for the interesting site - I noticed that there was supposed to
be a tenth book in the Honor series out last year, so before I read
the nine I have now I'll look around and see if it's available.

I also enjoyed the three book Mutineers series by David Weber
(Mutineer's Moon, Armageddon Inheritance, and Heirs of the Empire)
though not as much as the Honor series

[...]

Well, I sort of agree, although I would have said that the middle of
the series lags. But I think it picked up again with the last couple
books.

Old November 9th 03, 05:30 AM
John Biltz

On Sat, 8 Nov 2003 20:29:45 -0800, Steve Touchstone wrote
(in message ):

wrote:

On Sat, 8 Nov 2003 14:50:09 -0800, Kim Walters wrote
(in message Bqerb.149642$e01.522186@attbi_s02):

Go to
http://www.baen.com/library/

Thanks for the interesting site - I noticed that there was supposed to
be a tenth book in the Honor series out last year, so before I read
the nine I have now I'll look around and see if it's available.

I also enjoyed the three book Mutineers series by David Weber
(Mutineer's Moon, Armageddon Inheritance, and Heirs of the Empire)
though not as much as the Honor series

War of Honor, it was on that cd so I have it on disk. I started it. I
could not wade through all the politics at the start so I never finished
it. If it is good let me know and I'll finish it.

Old November 9th 03, 05:48 AM
Tanada

John Biltz wrote:

War of Honor, it was on that cd so I have it on disk. I started it. I
could not wade through all the politics at the start so I never finished
it. If it is good let me know and I'll finish it.

It just came out in paperback, and I just started reading it. It has
been slow going, as I'm in the political section, still. However, given
what I suspect is going to happen, it could get really exciting in a
couple of chapters. If you want, I'll keep you informed.

Pam S. who really isn't all that interested in the politics of the
People's Republic of Haven
Old November 9th 03, 06:36 AM
Steve Touchstone

wrote:

On Sat, 8 Nov 2003 14:50:09 -0800, Kim Walters wrote
(in message Bqerb.149642$e01.522186@attbi_s02):

Go to
http://www.baen.com/library/

Thanks for the interesting site - I noticed that there was supposed to
be a tenth book in the Honor series out last year, so before I read
the nine I have now I'll look around and see if it's available.

I also enjoyed the three book Mutineers series by David Weber
(Mutineer's Moon, Armageddon Inheritance, and Heirs of the Empire)
though not as much as the Honor series

War of Honor, it was on that cd so I have it on disk. I started it. I
could not wade through all the politics at the start so I never finished
it. If it is good let me know and I'll finish it.

OK, I'll do that. My reading goes in cycles, due to my work. I do
landscaping/yard work, so I'm very busy in the spring, slows down in
the summer, then it picks up again for fall planting. It's about dead
in the winter - which is when I do my reading. So, it's about time for
me to start reading again.

I went back and looked again at the baen.com site and they have the
first 14 chapters of War of Honor available for reading online. It was
awful slow loading, but when I checked I saw my dial up connection had
connected at 28.8, which it does sometimes when we have rain like
tonight. So I only looked at the prolog, but will go back tomorrow and
see if I can get a better connection.
--
Steve Touchstone,

[remove Junk for email]
Old November 9th 03, 07:15 AM
John Biltz

On Sat, 8 Nov 2003 21:48:00 -0800, Tanada wrote
(in message ):

John Biltz wrote:

War of Honor, it was on that cd so I have it on disk. I started it. I
could not wade through all the politics at the start so I never finished
it. If it is good let me know and I'll finish it.

It just came out in paperback, and I just started reading it. It has
been slow going, as I'm in the political section, still. However, given
what I suspect is going to happen, it could get really exciting in a
couple of chapters. If you want, I'll keep you informed.

Pam S. who really isn't all that interested in the politics of the
People's Republic of Haven

There is supposed to be a huge battle in it somewhere. 40+ ships of the
wall on Honor's side. The Haven politics at least tend to be lively
complete with assassinations. I can't get through what happens in the
House of Lords. Ashes of Victory really soured me on the series and I
don't have the patience for it anymore and he got a little heavy there on
the snatching defeat from the jaws of victory in the way he ended it. I
bought it in hardcover after coming back from Korea, I did not read the
one before it and never have. I guess a case of an author being
successful and the editor losing control. Its supposed to be military
science fiction not political science fiction. Same thing happened to
the Lestat, Vampire Chronicles series. Someone needs to tell the author
"cut 200 pages".