cat needs to lose weight - calorie question

Old July 7th 09, 11:38 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
jmc

Default cat needs to lose weight - calorie question

Suddenly, without warning, Netmask exclaimed (7/7/2009 1:46 AM):
jmc wrote:
Suddenly, without warning, Netmask exclaimed (7/6/2009 12:50 AM):

Cats are carnivores and should eat fresh meat only - that's what they
live on in the wild - fresh kill

Well, yea, but that's not always practical or possible in the real world.

Meep resolutely refuses to eat ANY kind of meat that doesnt' come out
of a cat food can - cooked, raw, chicken, beef, even kangaroo, she
refuses it all. Except seafood (loves shrimp, salmon and tuna).
Phooey.

jmc

well in the real world unless one lives in antartica there are butcher
and fish monger shops, deli's etc as most of the world are meat eaters.
The secret is to mix a bit of the tinned poison with fresh meat slowly
changing the balance.

You don't think I've tried that. My cat is a dedicated and very very
stubborn carbivore. We've been fighting this battle for over 5 years
now. I've tried every trick I've gleaned from here, from the internet,
and from vets in three different countries. She simply won't eat
anything that 1) doesn't have carbs and/or 2) came directly from a
4-legged critter. Well, except for parmesan cheese

jmc
Old July 8th 09, 08:50 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
[email protected]

On Jul 3, 5:15*pm, Kalmia wrote:
Cat is 18 lb. *Should be 15. *How many calories a day does he need to
attain and maintain 15 lb.? *I think he needs to be on senior food
too.

He's 11 years old, neutered, not too active. *Won't go outside unless
door is open for quick retreat - can't do that in the summer with the
a/c on. *No health problems, tho.

Thanks.

When I got my first Ragdoll, he was food crazy. He had been outside
begging for food before he was turned into a shelter, so he ate every
meal like it would be his last. And this was the first time I had to
stop free feeding. He was also, young and still growing, so some of
his weight gain was natural, and some of it was eating too much. He
got up to 20 lbs.

Then, because he had the stinkiest poop, I changed his food to Royal
Canin Maine Coon food. I chose Royal Canin because their senior food
had really helped my elderly cat. And I figured my jumbo Ragdoll could
use a food that was designed for a larger cat.

By accident, I discovered the way to get a cat to lose weight. Larger
kibbles. When I had served teh regular food, Jay Jay inhaled the food.
But when I served the larger kibbles, he had to slow down and actually
crunch it a bit. It took the same amount of time to feel satisfied,
but he was actually eating less. And he was able to walk away from a
bowl that had food in it.

I was able to go back to free feeding, and he lost 4 lbs on his own.
For the past 3 years, his weight has been 16 lbs and 1-2 oz every time
I weigh him. And that is with kibble available 24/7 and canned food
once a day.

Old July 8th 09, 09:56 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Kalmia

On Jul 8, 3:50*am, "
wrote:
On Jul 3, 5:15*pm, Kalmia wrote:

[...]

What brand are you feeding him which comes in large kibble size?

Old July 8th 09, 10:20 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
cybercat

"Kalmia" wrote

What brand are you feeding him which comes in large kibble size?

What do you care? It will certainly cost more than the crap you buy at
WalMart.

Old July 9th 09, 12:33 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
[email protected]

On Jul 8, 1:56*pm, Kalmia wrote:
On Jul 8, 3:50*am, "

wrote:
On Jul 3, 5:15*pm, Kalmia wrote:

[...]

Royal Canin Maine Coon version.

It's fine for every breed. Just has larger kibbles for larger breed,
and glucosamine for joint health.

Jay Jay loves it so much that he ignores the other varieties that I
serve. I do serve only Royal Canin brand as Jay Jay gets stinky poop
with other food, and he does occasionally dip into the other bowls. I
don't want him to be tempted by anything that will mess up his more
sensitive system.

I recently adopted two more ragdolls, and one of them refused to
switch from her previous food (Iams, which I hate). I ended up feeling
all the bags of Royal Canin to find one with the smallest kibble size
since I figured that was why she liked the Iams so much. And it
worked. She finally started chowing on something other than the Iams.
So, I actually have side-by-side bowls of large kibble and small
kibble, and they each eat their own.

Royal Canin does have a program where yo buy 10 bags and get a free
bag. So, if this interests you, save your receipts and your upc codes.
You can get a signup sheet on their webpage.
Old July 10th 09, 01:34 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Netmask

Kalmia wrote:
Cat is 18 lb. Should be 15. How many calories a day does he need to
attain and maintain 15 lb.? I think he needs to be on senior food
too.

He's 11 years old, neutered, not too active. Won't go outside unless
door is open for quick retreat - can't do that in the summer with the
a/c on. No health problems, tho.

Thanks.

Check this out on longevity and weight from The Scientific American - it
makes sobering reading.

http://www.scientificamerican.com/bl...w-p-2009-07-09

except
A 20-year-long rhesus monkey study, released today in Science, found
that monkeys that consumed 30 percent less calories than average peers
were one third as likely to get a age-related disease and were likely to
live longer.
Old July 10th 09, 12:16 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Stan Brown

Fri, 10 Jul 2009 00:34:19 GMT from Netmask :

Check this out on longevity and weight from The Scientific American - it
makes sobering reading.

http://www.scientificamerican.com/bl...w-p-2009-07-09

excerpt
A 20-year-long rhesus monkey study, released today in Science, found
that monkeys that consumed 30 percent less calories than average peers
were one third as likely to get a age-related disease and were likely to
live longer.

I'd say this is more directly relevant to humans than to cats, but
even so it is indeed sobering. The brief article also mentions that
brain functioning was significantly better in aged individuals who
ate less.

I think immediately of the image of the "spry" old man or woman who
is rail-thin yet agile and mentally sharp.

http://OakRoadSystems.com
Shikata ga nai...
Old July 12th 09, 02:52 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Kalmia

On Jul 3, 8:15*pm, Kalmia wrote:
Cat is 18 lb. *Should be 15. *How many calories a day does he need to
attain and maintain 15 lb.? *I think he needs to be on senior food
too.

He's 11 years old, neutered, not too active. *Won't go outside unless
door is open for quick retreat - can't do that in the summer with the
a/c on. *No health problems, tho.

Thanks.

Update : The diet isn't working too well. 1/2 dry , 1/2 wet and
there's a mess to clean each morning, outside box - not quite diarrhea
butttttt..........close. I might be going away and don't expect the
catsitter to have to deal with this, I'll set up two boxes and put
him back on dry until I return. Then will introduce the canned food
at a more gradual pace.
I'll also try giving wet in the morning and dry at night. I was
feeding the reverse.
Old July 12th 09, 05:39 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
cybercat

"Kalmia" wrote in message
On Jul 3, 8:15 pm, Kalmia wrote:
Cat is 18 lb. Should be 15. How many calories a day does he need to
attain and maintain 15 lb.? I think he needs to be on senior food
too.

He's 11 years old, neutered, not too active. Won't go outside unless
door is open for quick retreat - can't do that in the summer with the
a/c on. No health problems, tho.

Thanks.

Update : The diet isn't working too well. 1/2 dry , 1/2 wet and
there's a mess to clean each morning, outside box - not quite diarrhea
butttttt..........close. I might be going away and don't expect the
catsitter to have to deal with this, I'll set up two boxes and put
him back on dry until I return. Then will introduce the canned food
at a more gradual pace.
I'll also try giving wet in the morning and dry at night. I was
feeding the reverse.

++++++++++++++++++++++++

The dry and wet food you are feeding your cat are both crap. How do I know
this? You tell me. Take your cat to the vet. There is a problem.

Old July 13th 09, 04:41 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Rene S

Update : The diet isn't working too well. *1/2 dry , 1/2 wet and
there's a mess to clean each morning, outside box - not quite diarrhea
butttttt..........close. *I might be going away and don't expect the
catsitter to have to deal with this, * I'll set up two boxes and put
him back on dry until I return. *Then will introduce the canned food
at a more gradual pace.
I'll also try giving wet in the morning and dry at night. *I was
feeding the reverse.

What brands are you feeding? I read through the posts and did not see
a mention of brands. He should be eating a grain-free wet if at all
possible. If it's a high-quality diet there should not be any stool
problems. I didn't have any when I transferred mine to wet food.