Neighbor jerk is shooting at strays. Any idea how we can stop him?

Old March 23rd 04, 01:03 AM
Lashton

Default Neighbor jerk is shooting at strays. Any idea how we can stop him?

I work as a volunteer with a DFW-area rescue group.

A couple of months ago, we received a call from a man who is
attempting to trap and alter the strays around his apt. complex. He
also has a couple of neighbors who don't like the strays, and one
jarhead has been shooting at the strays with a pellet gun.

We haven't yet found a suitable place to relocate the strays and are
still trying to trap them all. In the meantime, does anyone have any
ideas how to deal with Mr. Gunslinger with the pellet gun? The man
we're helping has already reported the shootings to Dallas police, as
it is illegal to fire this type of gun within city limits, but they
don't seem interested in even speaking to this guy. Obviously it would
be nearly impossible to catch him in the act.

I have already offered to stake out the place and put a BB in this
guy's butt, but we're pretty broke and I doubt my fellow cat ladies
could bail me out.
Old March 23rd 04, 04:20 AM
JoJo

Maybe you could tell the police that they may change their story if a
child were to get shot instead of a cat. It's a possibility if kids are in
the area, that would get their attention in a hurry. Perhaps tell them not
only do you fear for the cats getting shot, but you also fear for kids
getting hit. Its worked for me in the past (different situation, no cats
getting hurt - abandoned car kids were playing in, wouldn't tow it until you
mentioned kids were playing in it).

If I were close by I'd like to go after the BB guy too. Rotten bun of a
sitch. Shooting them isn't going to make them go away.

Cops (please any cops out there I am not stereotyping!) sometimes seem as
if they could care less about cats. Two neighborhood girls found two
kittens in a box on the side of the road, they called our local police
department. The *nice* officer on charge told them to let them go in the
woods. (I really wanted to show him the working end of his service revolver
for that comment) It was October and already getting cold. They know I
foster so came knocking on my door. They (kittens) were absolute
sweethearts, I took them to the shelter and both were adopted within a day.

Good luck, maybe the gun will jam and backfire so he'll get a load of BB's
instead of the cats.

JoJo
http://home.comcast.net/~zookeepr/fosters.html

om...

Old March 23rd 04, 07:08 AM
Cat Protector

I would get some rescue groups involved. If you have a Humane Society in
your area that may help because they possibly work with local law
enforcement to enforce animal cruelty laws. I'd also contact the local media
as well. You'd be surprised what would happen to Mr. Gunslinger if this
became public. He certainly would have no place to hide due to the public
outcry.

Cat Galaxy: All Cats, All The Time!
www.catgalaxymedia.com
om...

Old March 23rd 04, 07:15 AM
Cat Protector

Actually here in the Phoenix area the Humane Society teamed up with Silent
Witness so people could report acts of animal cruelty. If the person
committing the crime is caught and convicted the person who reported the
crime and provided the info could find themselves up to $5,000 richer.
Perhaps where the OP lives they could set up a similar system. As for the
police not caring, some do. I know the Maricopa County Sheriff's Department
has an animal cruelty unit and where I live in Scottsdale there is an animal
cruelty code. The Scottsdale Police can't ignore that one or the City
Council might not hear the end of it from the residents.

"JoJo" wrote in message
[...]

om...

Old March 23rd 04, 08:04 AM
Lotte

[...]

I have a couple of suggestions:

1. Contact the neighborhood association, if there is one. Most
neighborhood associations don't like illegal activity (i.e., firearms going
off) in their 'hoods and may be able to put some pressure on the guy.

2. Write anonymous threatening letters. OK, I know that sounds weird, but
I've done it, and it works. Anonymous, so he won't know who's watching him,
and threatening, as in "when I catch you doing this, I'm going to make sure
they lock you up and throw away the key," NOT "I am going to kill you" or
something else you could go to jail for.

3. Contact the local SPCA. They're like MADD for cats. They're organized,
and they're ****ed. At the very least, they can put you in touch with other
resources in your community.

4. If the neighbor lives in the apartment complex, contact the management
and let them know what's going on. Most apartment managers don't care much
for tenants who cause trouble with the neighbors. Be a squeaky wheel.

M9

Old March 24th 04, 03:24 PM
Lashton

Good news! The neighbor jerk who was shooting at strays is disarmed
and on his way out.

The police actually DID come out after my initial posting, about a
week after a neighbor (our TNR contact) reported the cat shooter.
Their timing was perfect. Gunslinger was home, in either a drug- or
alcohol-induced stupor, with the gun loaded and sitting besides his
front door.

The upshot is that the police confiscated the gun, issued a disorderly
conduct citation, and warned Stupid Neighbor that if they were called
again, they'd be taking him for a ride.

It gets better - another neighbor located the owner of the condo this
guy was renting (the owner lives out of state) and ratted out his
tenant. Although we think the cop visit upset the owner more than the
shootings, he still gave the tenant notice.

Big sigh of relief from all of us! And the icing on the cake is that
we were finally able to get the trap-shy mamma cat we'd been trying to
trap for the last few weeks.

Thanks to everyone for their suggestions. I'm sure we'll be using
some of them if we come across this sort of thing again.

Old March 24th 04, 04:00 PM
MaryL

"Lashton" wrote in message
om...
Good news! The neighbor jerk who was shooting at strays is disarmed
and on his way out.

The police actually DID come out after my initial posting, about a
week after a neighbor (our TNR contact) reported the cat shooter.
Their timing was perfect. Gunslinger was home, in either a drug- or
alcohol-induced stupor, with the gun loaded and sitting besides his
front door.

Great news! And your description of the scene is hilarious -- it sounds
like you could have been in the middle of "Gunsmoke" ... well, no, maybe
more like "Andy Griffith" since no shots were fired.

MaryL

Old March 24th 04, 08:33 PM
Cat Protector

This is good news but I have to wonder if this guy will simply move to
another area and do the same thing. I hope the police notified other
jurisdictions about this guy.

Cat Galaxy: All Cats, All The Time!
www.catgalaxymedia.com
om...

Old March 24th 04, 11:39 PM
Karen M.

"MaryL" -OUT-THE-LITTER wrote in message ...
"Lashton" wrote in message
om...
Good news! The neighbor jerk who was shooting at strays is disarmed
and on his way out.

The police actually DID come out after my initial posting, about a
week after a neighbor (our TNR contact) reported the cat shooter.
Their timing was perfect. Gunslinger was home, in either a drug- or
alcohol-induced stupor, with the gun loaded and sitting besides his
front door.

Great news! And your description of the scene is hilarious -- it sounds
like you could have been in the middle of "Gunsmoke" ... well, no, maybe
more like "Andy Griffith" since no shots were fired.

MaryL

I'd say "Deliverance"..