Need some advice on a rescue (elderly cat)

Old March 5th 05, 03:06 PM
Stormin Mormon

Default Need some advice on a rescue (elderly cat)

What I've heard... In the starving countries, when the aid workers came in
with American style food, it made the people more sick than healthy. They
found out that emaciated people would tolerate a mix made of water, cooking
oil, and flour. That, if memory serves.

Same again back in World War (one and two) when the camps were liberated. I
don't have a link off hand, but I do remember hearing that the soldiers
couldn't go straight from starvation to military rations.

Perhaps there is a cat equivilant? I do not know if there is, but it is
possible.

--

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Tara K." wrote in message
On boxing day (it's an Australian thing, the day after xmas) a stray cat
staggered into my Mum's house. She couldn't keep it because her own cat is
intolerant of others, so it ended up with me. This cat is a. ancient b was
in an advanced state of starvation (read: on death's door). Really, the
worst case of starvation in any animal I've *ever* seen. Literally, skin and
bones. The vet would not take any blood on the initial consultation, saying
"she's got none to spare".

So of course I couldn't say no. I'm a sucker

Here's a pic, from her first visit to the vet (not for those who don't want
to see this sort of thing):

http://community.webshots.com/album/251821923gQvgpO

She's been doing well. However . . .

Up until a week or two ago, she was just picking at her food. It was a
struggle to get her to eat anything. I fed her on my special
ferret-fattening mix (which also works well for cats) and she was putting on
100g or so a week (from a low weight of 2.1kg). About two weeks ago she
suddenly seemed to turn the corner. She started eating about a can a day,
was interested in her food (the old "get out the way so I can eat!" thing)
and was putting on more weight.

Now, the other problem was this: she *was* constipated. She's suddenly
developed diarrhoea. I'm assuming this is because her digestive system is
recovering from the shock of all that starvation, and then all that food.
I'm having to clean her up, she's obviously embarrassed by this (you know
how cats are about being clean) and more worryingly, I'm concerned she's
going to go downhill again. She also went off her food again for a day or
so, but she's eating again now.

She's had her shots, she's on metacam for her arthritis, and she's eating
canned food because she can't manage solid kibbly. Her kidneys
(surprisingly) are fine: she doesn't drink too much, and she has no signs of
diabetes.

I'm taking her to the vet again tomorrow, but I'd like some advice from
anyone here who has managed an elderly cat like this. Is there some way to
put more weight on her more rapidly? She just hasn't got that much to lose.
And am I right in thinking the diarrhea is due to the shock to her digestive
system? Or is there something else I'm missing here?

Any advice would be much appreciated. Despite everything, she seems happy,
is not in too much pain (apart from the arthritis) and is quite active. I'm
not prepared to put her down just yet. She survived this far and I think she
deserves a chance.

Thanks,
TK

Old March 5th 05, 03:43 PM
Karen

in article , Stormin Mormon at
wrote on 3/5/05 8:06AM:

"Tara K." wrote in message
[...]

Oh MY! What a poor thing! I'm so glad she is getting a chance. You are so
good to try. I've seen canned kitten food recommended for putting weight on
cats. I guess I would also try mixing Hills canned a/d in with whatever it
is she is eating as it is a high calorie food for anorexic cats available
from the vet. Is she looking better ? I hope you post more pics and keep us
updated over here at rec.pets.cats.anecdotes too.

Old March 5th 05, 04:25 PM
Debbie Wilson

"Tara K." wrote in message

Any advice would be much appreciated. Despite everything, she seems happy,
is not in too much pain (apart from the arthritis) and is quite active. I'm
not prepared to put her down just yet. She survived this far and I think she
deserves a chance.

You could try giving her a mixture of chopped cooked chicken meat and
plain boiled white rice, this is nice and bland, and is a good way to
settle an unsettled stomach. Or plain cooked white fish such as coley or
cod, mixed with plain boiled rice. The diarrhoea could be due to the
richness of the food which her stomach just can't cope with yet, and as
you say, the overall shock to her system. Make sure she doesn't get
dehydrated too, this is a risk with diarrhoea. Good luck and I really
hope she continues to recover, she really deserves the chance you are
giving her.

Deb.
--
http://www.scientific-art.com

Old March 5th 05, 06:07 PM
Tara K.

"Debbie Wilson" wrote in message
.. .
"Tara K." wrote in message

[...]

She's up and asking for her food again this evening big happy grin

She did get all excited over some chicken and garlic concoction I'd made
(for myself) but she couldn't manage to eat it (her mouth, or her teeth,
again). I'll try something like that mashed up with some rice and hydration
fluid, maybe she'll be able to eat it then.

I'll try the bland food and kitten mix thing. Also, will check with the vet
about metacam complications, she's been on it now for a couple of weeks, not
sure if you'd see a reaction to it after so long, but will check. I wouldn't
like to take her off it if possible, she's obviously in a lot less pain on
it. But if it's causing these problems, then she'll have to come off it.

Thanks everyone for your helpful suggestions, and your kind words.

And yes, she might be old and scraggly, but yes also, she's beautiful Her
name, btw, is Princess. Which suits her, I think.

This sig made me laugh. Love it

TK

Old March 5th 05, 06:28 PM
HRFLTiger

Tara K. wrote:

She's up and asking for her food again this evening big happy grin

Yay! For diarrhea (sorry, never can spell that word!) can you get hold
of canned pumpkin? The fibre content of the pumpkin helps bind the
stools, and it is very gentle on the stomach.

I'll try the bland food and kitten mix thing.

Little and often is the best bet - don't "over feed" as cats only have
small stomachs. It could be that the "Amount" of food she is consuming
is adding to the squits because her tummy is full.

Also, will check with the vet
about metacam complications, she's been on it now for a couple of

weeks, not
sure if you'd see a reaction to it after so long, but will check. I

wouldn't
like to take her off it if possible, she's obviously in a lot less

pain on
it. But if it's causing these problems, then she'll have to come off

it.

TBH, I had an elderly cat on metacam for a long time. The beneficial
effects outweighed the "nasty" side effects, of which there were very
few.

And yes, she might be old and scraggly, but yes also, she's beautiful

Her
name, btw, is Princess. Which suits her, I think.

No such thing as an ugly cat. They are all beautiful, and having seen
her pictures, Princess is very apt!

Give her a scritch for me.

Helen M

Old March 5th 05, 07:06 PM
Debbie Wilson

Tara K. wrote:

She's up and asking for her food again this evening big happy grin

Great news! :-))

She did get all excited over some chicken and garlic concoction I'd made
(for myself) but she couldn't manage to eat it (her mouth, or her teeth,
again). I'll try something like that mashed up with some rice and hydration
fluid, maybe she'll be able to eat it then.

Sounds good. Sometimes I use minced turkey instead of the chicken, as it
mashes down a bit easier, and you can usually buy it frozen so it's much
quicker and easier to prepare (and cheaper than chicken breast too!) I
usually cook it in the microwave, allow to cool then mix in with the
cooked cooled rice, then if you think Princess needs it you can mush it
up even more so it's easy for her to eat or even lap up.

And yes, she might be old and scraggly, but yes also, she's beautiful Her
name, btw, is Princess. Which suits her, I think.

Bless her - I didn't get your first post with the link to the pictures,
would you mind very much reposting the link? I'd love to see her.

This sig made me laugh. Love it

:-)) It seemed appropriate homage to all the semi-ferals I've
fostered...

Deb.

--
http://www.scientific-art.com

Old March 6th 05, 12:48 AM
Duke of URL

"Tara K." wrote in message

[...]

I've had a vet tell me that Metamucil works nicely for cats, the same as for
hoomins.

Old March 9th 05, 04:30 PM
Lesley Madigan

Same again back in World War (one and two) when the camps were liberated. I
don't have a link off hand, but I do remember hearing that the soldiers
couldn't go straight from starvation to military rations.

A former colleague of mine was a medical orderly in the Second World
War and was one of the first people to go into Auschwitz after it had
been liberated. He told me that a lot of people died when they had
their first decent meals after a long period of starvation. Apparently
the digestive tract in starvation slows down and atrophies and a rich
diet is too much for it. Most of those that died, died as a result of
dehydration secondary to severe diarrhoea.

Luckily they quickly worked it out and started by feeding them bland
easy digested foods and working them up to richer food.

Wonder if Princess has the same problem.

Hope she's doing well

Lesley

Slave of the Fabulous Furballs

Luck Kitty Rescue xxxxx Cats - misc 0 December 26th 04 10:02 PM
rec.pets: Starting A Successful Rescue Club FAQ Cheryl Minnier Cat Information 0 November 28th 04 06:17 AM
rec.pets: Starting A Successful Rescue Club FAQ Cheryl Minnier Cat Information 0 October 29th 04 05:25 AM
Suggestions About Rescue Situation...Please Luvskats00 Cat rescue 13 October 23rd 03 12:32 PM
Cat Rescue Groups in AZ MacCandace Cat health & behaviour 6 September 17th 03 02:52 AM