Bagging a lizard.

Old October 15th 03, 07:01 AM
P. Cox

Default Bagging a lizard.

Yesterday scat bagged herself a lizard. I had already chased one little
3inch guy outside to save it from scat's admirations. Only to hear the
rattling of a plastic bag on the screened porch. As I step down onto the
porch I find scat's head inserted in my bag of craft doodads. I remove
cat, remove doodads to find a slightly larger 4inch anole in the bag.
Poor little guy all so scared so I escorted him outside to the hedge and
released. I brought bag inside porch replaced doodads and came back
inside the house only to have to turn back around as I heard my bag
being investigated again. Scat is back in bag looking for that lizard
she knows she left there, I left her to look since I knew she would find
no live plaything to disturb. peace, p

Old October 15th 03, 12:42 PM
badwilson

Hmmmm, interesting. Maybe that's why I've been finding the kitchen drawer
with the zip lock bags open lately? Vino must be reading the NG while I'm
away.
--
Britta
ROT13 to reply

Old October 15th 03, 01:58 PM
Sherry

Yesterday scat bagged herself a lizard. I had already chased one little
3inch guy outside to save it from scat's admirations. Only to hear the
rattling of a plastic bag on the screened porch. As I step down onto the
porch I find scat's head inserted in my bag of craft doodads. I remove
cat, remove doodads to find a slightly larger 4inch anole in the bag.
Poor little guy all so scared so I escorted him outside to the hedge and
released. I brought bag inside porch replaced doodads and came back
inside the house only to have to turn back around as I heard my bag
being investigated again. Scat is back in bag looking for that lizard
she knows she left there, I left her to look since I knew she would find
no live plaything to disturb. peace, p

Was she angry at you for ruining her fun? Mine always act very irritated when I
do that. Poor little lizard!
No one on this group mentions reptiles much, I don't know if you all like them
or not. But this reminded me of the new stamps the post office issued, reptiles
and amphibians. They are just beautiful I thought. My favorite was the box
turtle.

Sherry
Old October 16th 03, 02:41 PM
MaryL

"Sherry " wrote in message
Yesterday scat bagged herself a lizard. I had already chased one little
3inch guy outside to save it from scat's admirations. p

No one on this group mentions reptiles much, I don't know if you all like

them
or not. But this reminded me of the new stamps the post office issued,

reptiles
and amphibians. They are just beautiful I thought. My favorite was the box
turtle.

Sherry

I live in East Texas, and we have several types of small lizards (or
"lizard-like") residents -- a lot of the ones we always call "chameleons"
(but which are really a form of green anode), skinks, etc. I really like
them -- they do no harm and do a lot of good by catching insects. I never
find them in the house but they do sometimes get in the garage. I always
hate that and usher them outside because they seem able to find their way in
on their own but not out (garage door is always closed). As a result, I
frequently find dead chameleons in the garage, which is a pity.

I am sure Holly and Duffy would love to find them inside the house, but I'm
not at all sure that they would return the enjoyment!

Thanks for mentioning the stamps. I'm going to look for them -- hadn't
heard about that series. I like turtles, too. I saved a big turtle from my
neighbor a few weeks ago. I have lots of shrubs and frequently find turtles
"moseying" along (sorry! - Texas, you know). My neighbor came over and
asked if he could take it and make soup. I yelped!! The neighbor is a good
friend and has agreed never to try to eat my little critters. Chalk one up
for the environment.

MaryL
(take out the litter to reply)

Photos of Duffy and Holly: 'o'
http://tinyurl.com/8y54 (Introducing Duffy to Holly)
http://tinyurl.com/8y56 (Duffy and Holly "settle in")

Old October 16th 03, 10:53 PM
Sherry

Thanks for mentioning the stamps. I'm going to look for them -- hadn't
heard about that series. I like turtles, too. I saved a big turtle from my
neighbor a few weeks ago. I have lots of shrubs and frequently find turtles
"moseying" along (sorry! - Texas, you know). My neighbor came over and
asked if he could take it and make soup. I yelped!! The neighbor is a good
friend and has agreed never to try to eat my little critters. Chalk one up
for the environment.

MaryL
(take out the litter to reply)

The "box turtle" on the stamps looks just like what we call a "terrapin." It's
a cute pic. Do you all have those lizard things that live in the dirt? What
are they, salamanders or something? I *hate* digging in the flower bed and
running on to them. It scares me silly.

Sherry
Old October 17th 03, 12:13 AM
MaryL

"Sherry " wrote in message
[...]

We don't have the salamanders you described here (at least, I've never seen
them). There were salamanders where I grew up in Ohio. They were sort of a
beige-colored salamander with bright orange spots. We would often see them
in shallow pools of water, and they would look like little jewels in the
water. The "chameleons" (or green anodes) that are so common here are often
seen running up and down fences or on the walls of houses, and will often be
seen on foliage. They turn bright green when they are on foliage (and
usually even when they are on walls in the sun) and turn a brownish color if
they are on the soil. They are fairly small -- about 6" long for adults,
but that is almost all tail (which will fall off if one is grabbed by the
tail and then will re-grow). We also have a lot of skinks -- similar in
size but a little thinner and a little longer. The skinks move quickly with
a slithering-type of motions (somewhat like a snake), so people often
dislike coming across them by accident. Actually, skinks might be "close"
to what you described and often will be seen garden areas (but slithering
around leaves, etc. -- I have never seen them "under" the soil like a worm).
At any rate, they are both interesting and eat lots of insects. And that's
a good thing!

MaryL