Is it time for me to get a new kitten so soon?

Old September 11th 05, 06:23 AM
NateB323 NateB323 is offline
Junior Member

Default Is it time for me to get a new kitten so soon?

Hi all, I posted here a while back concerning my boy TB. Well, he lost his battle with Liver/Biliary disease and Kidney failure on the 29th of August. I had to let him go...that morning I knew it was time because he couldn't even stand up to drink. It has been awful, truly the worst time of my life. He was like my son, my best friend for 15 and 1/2 years, and now he's gone. I have very slowly gotten better, as to where I don't cry every day, but I still cannot look at his pictures.

Last week, I found a post on a database at work for 5 free kittens being given away the end of September. Well, even though I swore I would not get another cat so soon, I went and looked at them today. I told the lady that I was interested in two of them and she would hold them for me until I decided. They are 6 weeks old and I would like them to stay with the mother until they are 8 weeks before I pick one or two. I don't know though, I feel guilty, I just got TB's ashes back Thursday and cried up a storm. I still miss him dearly, and I KNOW that no other cat is going to compare to TB. I can only hope that if I choose a kitten it will grow up to be half the cat TB was. What do you guys think? Do you think I'm going about this the wrong way? Am I getting one too soon? I'm torn.

-Nate
Old September 11th 05, 12:34 PM
Kim

Sorry for your loss. 8-( Only you will know when you're ready. If you're
having doubts, maybe you're not quite there, but like you said, it'll be a
couple of weeks until you get them.

When I lost my himmy Pandora to CRF, no way was I getting another cat. After
about 4 months I found myself wanting to see kittens. I found a real cutie
in a local pet store and told the store clerk at the back I'd take her. By
the time I got to the front of the store I couldn't do it... told them I
changed my mind. I was so overcome with guilt and sadness that I couldn't
get out of there soon enough. A couple of weeks later I was closer to being
ready. I saw little calico "Brio". Went to see her a couple of times then
waited a week just to be sure... had made up my mind that if she was still
there it was meant to be. She was... and I brought her home with me. That
was 2 years ago... and I can't imagine life without her.

--
NateB323

Old September 11th 05, 08:20 PM
Veloise

Nate wrote:
...TB...lost his battle with Liver/Biliary disease and Kidney failure on the 29th of August. ...

...free kittens
being given away the end of September. ...I feel guilty, I just got
TB's ashes back
Thursday and cried up a storm. I still miss him dearly, and I KNOW that
no other cat is going to compare to TB. I can only hope that if I
choose a kitten it will grow up to be half the cat TB was. What do you
guys think? Do you think I'm going about this the wrong way? Am I
getting one too soon? I'm torn.

TB would want you to be happy, and a new kitty is one way to do that. I
found it helpful that the successor looked completely different. The
fun part was: I had been accustomed to a geriatric cat (almost 21 years
old, by the calendar, not cat years) and the new baby was bouncy,
responsive, playful, could hear and see very well in comparison.

If you think it might be too soon, it may well be. Perhaps take some
time visiting cats at shelters and pet stores before committing.

HTH

--Karen D.

Old September 12th 05, 10:09 AM
Lesley

.. They are 6 weeks old and I would like
them to stay with the mother until they are 8 weeks before I pick one
or two. I don't know though, I feel guilty, I just got TB's ashes back
Thursday and cried up a storm. I still miss him dearly, and I KNOW that
no other cat is going to compare to TB. I can only hope that if I
choose a kitten it will grow up to be half the cat TB was. What do you
guys think? Do you think I'm going about this the wrong way? Am I
getting one too soon? I'm torn.

Nate

We were in much the same position when our beloved Isis went to the
Bridge. A few days later a friend at work happened to mention her
semi-feral feline had had a litter and we realised we needed cats as
our home felt so completely empty.

But what we did find helped was we were in the same position you are in
now, we had to wait a few weeks until they were ready to leave their
mum.

Anyway we'd never even seen the kittens as the woman who had their mum
lived a long way away and we had our doubts but they were going to be
sent to a pet shop if she couldn't find them homes....

They are Redunzel and Sarrasine. We love them very much. They are NOT
Isis or her sister Fugazi and they're not replacements for them. They
are their own selves and we don't feel it's disrespectful to the memory
of Isis and Fugazi or Speedy Joe to have them. In fact it's the other
way round, if we didn't have more cats it would have felt like we were
saying they'd put us off having cats, which of course they didn't

Just my two cents

Lesley

Slave of the Fabulous Furballs

Old September 14th 05, 02:14 PM

I am so sorry for your loss. I know what it is to lose an animal
friend.
You will never replace TB. He was unique and he will always have a
special place in your heart.
I don't think that it is being disloyal to him to want another animal
friend so soon. It is an honor to his memory .Tb gave you so much
happiness, of course you hope to have that again in your life. You
want to fill that void in your life and you want to give another cat a
happy home. Follow your heart. Only you know where that will lead you.
My Grady cat was with me for 15 years. When he died I wanted another
cat immediately. A very different kind of cat though. He left such a
huge a hole in my life I had to fill it. A friend of a friend gave me a
cat that needed a home. She has been with me for several years now and
I adore her. I still miss Grady. He still has his own place in my heart
but I am so grateful for the companionship and love of my new cat. When
you love an animal it grows more and more love and makes room for more
animals to love.