gone without a trace

Old November 24th 05, 04:20 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

Default gone without a trace

Pat wrote:
"Jeanne Hedge" wrote
I don't know if this is even possible with this house, but don't
forget that you can make your bid include the purchase of the major
appliances already there. When my parents bought their current house
2-3 years ago, their bid included payment for the stove and
refrigerator that were already there. The then-current owners
accepted, and so Mom and Dad didn't have to go out and buy those
appliances separately, and they got them cheaper than if they'd had to
buy new later.

The applicances that are in the house belong to the renters.

You probably already know this, but start lurking around your local
freecycle. Also the classified ads. There are people all the time that
move, and don't want to move their appliances; or they are renters who
own appliances and buy a home with built-ins. You can pick up good
refrigerators, washers/dryers, and stoves if you're lucky enough to run
onto them. We found a Maytag washer/dryer SET for our son that looks
practically new for $100.

Old November 24th 05, 04:57 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

"Nan" wrote

House ownership purrs are on the way. I sincerely hope that you get
the loan and the house of your dreams.

Thanks, Nan.

I think the house of my dreams is never going to happen, but meanwhile, this
little one I described will do nicely.

Old November 24th 05, 05:09 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

Pat wrote:
"jmcquown" wrote

Ahem, what kind of heat does it have, then? Radiator/steam heat?
It must have *some* sort of heat.

Yes, it does. A propane floor furnace. Radiators are great but hard
to find around here.

I lived in a place once with a gas floor heater; my ex-husband rented it.
It was haunted. By a man who killed his wife. I didn't like the heat just
coming up from the floor, not to mention the ghost wasn't Casper the
Friendly.

Don't trust space heaters in any way shape or
form. Especially not with cats around.

Space heaters and woodstoves are all I've ever used, and the cats
absolutely love them, too.

Persia loves it when I light a fire in the fireplace, but it's not something
I'd let her near. I don't trust space heaters. How many horror stories do
we hear every year about a space heater that wasn't properly equipped tipped
over and started a fire that burned down homes? Especially during the
holidays.

Most places include at least the stove, if not the fridge.

In this area, they don't. Not even in rental homes and apartments.

How odd. Around here, I have not only the stove, dishwasher, refrigerator
(I traded the fridge for my own for $15 less a month) plus a full size
washer & dryer. The last place I lived had a stackable washer & dryer but
still the stove and fridge and dishwasher. I wouldn't move someplace that
didn't at least have a stove and washer/dryer hookups.

Sorry, but electric shock treatment never agreed with me. It just
sounds cruel. Teach the cats to be indoor cats. It can be done, if
you're willing.

Uh, Jill, there's a huge difference between an electric fence and
"shock treatment".

Pat, I don't think so. Anything that shocks an animal is not pet friendly.
You can train a cat to stay inside without that. Persia cried her head off
for a couple of weeks when I wouldn't let her out to roam, even though she'd
begged me in the bitter cold to let her in. Now, she doesn't want out. She
asks out in her mesh enclosure but she doesn't want to stay out there unless
I'm sitting out there with her.

EEEEK!

Hey, I know I'm ugly, but even I don't think I'm ugly enough to make
another woman scream in horror!

I never said you're ugly; but I don't want to see my neighbors walking
around gardening in the nude. Okay, so you'll have a fence. I don't want
to *know* my neighbors are walking around naked.

Try some heavy outdoor work in the sun between May and October during
full-blown menopause, without an air conditioned place to cool down
in, and see how long you can keep it up with any clothing on your
body....

How about I just stay out of the sun and don't do gardening work? I'm not a
gardening and chickens and horses kinda gal; I was raised in the city. I
don't walk around nude except inside my house from the bathroom to the
bedroom

Jill

Old November 24th 05, 05:53 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

"jmcquown" wrote

How many horror stories do we hear every year about
a space heater that wasn't properly equipped tipped
over and started a fire that burned down homes?
Especially during the holidays.

The kind of space heater I mean is attached to a wall or to the floor.

Anything that shocks an animal is not pet friendly.

It's a lot friendlier than letting them wander in traffic.

You can train a cat to stay inside without that.

But I don't *want* seven cats inside at all times.

Maybe you've never felt the shock of an electrified fence. It isn't painful,
just unpleasant - enough that you wouldn't want to touch it again unless a
monetary reward was involved.

I never said you're ugly; but I don't want to see my neighbors walking
around gardening in the nude. Okay, so you'll have a fence. I don't want
to *know* my neighbors are walking around naked.

I can think of a few people you might make an exception for....

Old November 24th 05, 07:41 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

Thank goodness for Abelard being quite healthy now.

And we will purr and pray mightily that you can get that house that you want
to buy for your peace of mind and well-being. Nothing but good thoughts
going your way from us.
Lily & her mama
Jazz, RB

--

Irulan
from the stars we come
"Pat" wrote in message
That nasty business on Abelard's shoulder is completely finished. You can
no longer even find the spot where it was inflamed. We are both so
grateful for the healing purrs from RPCA.

In other news, I found and hppe to buy a small house (still quite a bit
larger than where I am now) that's for sale in the town nearest to me. I
decided not to wait and rely on that low-interest USDA Rural Development
loan I mentioned several months back, if I can get a loan through a local
bank. It is just simpler and quicker this way, and there's so much less
paperwork involved and the choices are better without all the restrictions
like central heat being required, etc. I dislike central heat, anyway.

I'll be meeting with the loan officer this coming Monday, and if I am
approved for the amount I need, and the house is acceptable to the lender
at the price I offered, I will need to come up with around $4500 by around
Christmas time. That will be quite a challenge, but I'm committed to doing
it, even if it means selling my car and taking a cash advance on my one
and only credit card, then applying for another to which I can transfer
the balance and pay 0% interest on it for a year through one of those type
of offers that constantly come in the mail.

I think the house will pass muster with the bank, but somewhat concerned
about raising the downpayment in time. And I'll need still more cash to
make the place kitty-safe, being that it's on a residential street in town
(where there is traffic) and purchase appliances (stove, refrigerator,
washer/dryer) which I do not own.

I've decided that if I get the house, I will enclose the whole backyard
with a tall cedar fence with an electric wire at the top to prevent
climb-overs and stone at the bottom to prevent dig-unders. Any cat that
tries to climb over will have to be in contact with a one-foot-wide
continuous row of grounded chickenwire fastened to the cedar just below
the hot wire, when trying to go "over the top". I think the shock will
discourage further attempts. And the fence will give me a modicum of
privacy as well, and enable me to continue my usual practice of gardening
in my birthday suit.

The best things about this place a

(1) I'll no longer have to drive anywhere to go shopping for food;
(2) It has a partial basement to hide out in during severe storms;
(3) there are three bedrooms: one for sleeping, one for an office, one
for storage;
(4) there's a garage, and an attic which is well insulated;
(5) It has large shade trees;
(6) BROADBAND IS AVAILABLE!!!

If I do get it, I won't be moving until April. There are renters in it
now, and they're good ones. They'd like to stay through the winter, and
I'd like a few more months to save up for the fencing lumber and
appliances.

Wish me luck? Money purrs are hereby entreated....

Thanks!!

Old November 24th 05, 07:43 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

Pat, another possibility is when you go get the loan include the amount for
the appliances you will need to buy. I remember when we refinanced a few
years back we added the amount that we needed to upgrade the house and
stuff. That might also go your way. Good luck!
Lily & her mama

Old November 24th 05, 08:44 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

Pat wrote:
"jmcquown" wrote

How many horror stories do we hear every year about
a space heater that wasn't properly equipped tipped
over and started a fire that burned down homes?
Especially during the holidays.

The kind of space heater I mean is attached to a wall or to the floor.

Anything that shocks an animal is not pet friendly.

It's a lot friendlier than letting them wander in traffic.

You can train a cat to stay inside without that.

But I don't *want* seven cats inside at all times.

Maybe you've never felt the shock of an electrified fence. It isn't
painful, just unpleasant - enough that you wouldn't want to touch it
again unless a monetary reward was involved.

My uncle (gosh, he must be 90 by now) invented the "invisible fence" with
the dog collar thing. That's how he made his first million. (Later in the
1960's he got into the computer business before computers were meant to be
in peoples' homes and made another couple of million. Too bad I haven't
seen the man since 1969, but then again, he has 6 kids to leave his millions
to.)

I never said you're ugly; but I don't want to see my neighbors
walking around gardening in the nude. Okay, so you'll have a fence.
I don't want to *know* my neighbors are walking around naked.

I can think of a few people you might make an exception for....

Only ONE, and even then when he and I sit around playing cards or backgammon
we wear jammies

Jill

Old November 24th 05, 08:56 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

I'm so glad to hear Abelard is ok.
Lots of purrs and best wishes for everything to go well with the house,
Polonca and Soncek

Pat wrote:
That nasty business on Abelard's shoulder is completely finished. You can no
longer even find the spot where it was inflamed. We are both so grateful for
the healing purrs from RPCA.

In other news, I found and hppe to buy a small house (still quite a bit
larger than where I am now) that's for sale in the town nearest to me.

snip

Old November 24th 05, 09:58 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

jmcquown wrote:
Pat wrote:
"jmcquown" wrote

[...]

This exchange, I couldn't help chuckling. Pat, I live probably about as
isolated as you. While I never would go outside stark naked, I did go
out in my underwear to get my capri pants/blouse off the clothesline
once. I ran smack into an entire seismograph crew who was working just
over the fence.

Sherry

Old November 24th 05, 10:01 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

What no pictures ;-)
wrote in message
oups.com...

jmcquown wrote: