cats watching TV

Old September 16th 03, 06:11 AM
Angela Ryan

Default cats watching TV

How can anyone know how a cat sees? Its not like they can get into the cats
brain or anything.

I know that Gizmo is more responsive to certain TV programs than others. She
particularly likes the morning program which had the news tickertape along
the bottom. I can see her eyes following it across the screen.

Angela
"Brad Snow" wrote in message
Saw this yesterday. People (well, women, of course claiming their
Bootsie watched TV. Scientific follow up:

Cats see faster than us. Have to, to see and pounce quickly. So we see
a TV picture, but cat sees the dots and lines from the beam hitting
the screen (dots and lines which translate into the picture we see).
So:
-Normal fast cat won't see/be interested in TV of birds or whatever,
and
-if your cat DOES watch TV, he's slow

Old September 16th 03, 07:03 AM
Brad Snow

On Tue, 16 Sep 2003 15:11:53 +1000, "Angela Ryan"
wrote:

How can anyone know how a cat sees? Its not like they can get into the cats
brain or anything.

I know that Gizmo is more responsive to certain TV programs than others. She
particularly likes the morning program which had the news tickertape along
the bottom. I can see her eyes following it across the screen.

Angela

Golly, guess she's one of the mentally challengd
Brad

.. .

Old September 16th 03, 07:09 AM
Brad Snow

I just tried for Gizmo pics from your earlier post. Can't make the
link or address work. Sure he's great, tho
Brad

wrote:

How can anyone know how a cat sees? Its not like they can get into the cats
brain or anything.

I know that Gizmo is more responsive to certain TV programs than others. She
particularly likes the morning program which had the news tickertape along
the bottom. I can see her eyes following it across the screen.

Angela
.. .

Old September 16th 03, 07:26 AM
Jo Firey

I don't know, every once in while the TV gets the cats attention. But it may be
sound rather than picture.

And Rosie is definitely into chasing the pointer on my monitor.

--
Jo Firey

"Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take
our breath away."

wrote:

How can anyone know how a cat sees? Its not like they can get into the cats
brain or anything.

I know that Gizmo is more responsive to certain TV programs than others. She
particularly likes the morning program which had the news tickertape along
the bottom. I can see her eyes following it across the screen.

Angela
.. .

Old September 16th 03, 07:36 AM

Brad Snow wrote:

Saw this yesterday. People (well, women, of course claiming their
Bootsie watched TV.

And we all know how stupid women are, right?

Scientific follow up:

Finally, something from the rational male point of view!

Cats see faster than us. Have to, to see and pounce quickly. So we see
a TV picture, but cat sees the dots and lines from the beam hitting
the screen (dots and lines which translate into the picture we see).
So:
-Normal fast cat won't see/be interested in TV of birds or whatever,
and -if your cat DOES watch TV, he's slow

My cats watch the TV screen all the time. I don't think it has anything to
do with whether they're fast or slow - they're just looking at movement.
Maybe they're seeing moving pictures, or maybe they just see moving dots
and lines, but something on that screen captures their interest. Also, I'm
sure the sounds coming from the TV contribute to their interest as well.

Joyce - just another silly woman who thinks her cats like Animal Planet
Old September 16th 03, 10:12 AM

Nanny wrote:

Felix is not the only one who requested a video :-)
I had a cat that never watched tv, except when we played a video we had of
one of the other cats. She'd sit in front of the tv then, at a distance
where it seemed likely that she could discern what was going on, and watch
the whole thing.

My cats are especially interested when there are cats on TV. They couldn't
care less about mice, birds or fish, but bring on a cat, even a big cat,
and they're riveted. One time I was watching a show about feral cats that
had a scene of a mother cat and newborn kittens. Roxy was transfixed - she
walked up to the TV, stood up on her hind legs, and put her paw on the
screen. Did she see the kittens, or just hear them? I don't know, but she
was convinced there were kittens in the big black box. At one point, she
ran around to the back of the TV, sure she'd find the kittens there. When
she didn't find anything, she came back around, looking befuddled.

Joyce
Old September 16th 03, 10:29 AM
Alan Erskine

"Brad Snow" wrote in message
Saw this yesterday. People (well, women, of course claiming their
Bootsie watched TV. Scientific follow up:

Cats see faster than us. Have to, to see and pounce quickly. So we see
a TV picture, but cat sees the dots and lines from the beam hitting
the screen (dots and lines which translate into the picture we see).
So:
-Normal fast cat won't see/be interested in TV of birds or whatever,
and
-if your cat DOES watch TV, he's slow

Cites (references) please.
--
Alan Erskine
alanerskine(at)optusnet.com.au

Old September 16th 03, 11:25 AM
John Biltz

On Mon, 15 Sep 2003 23:26:25 -0700, Jo Firey wrote
(in message ):

Neither watches much TV. Maya sometimes will watch a nature show if it
has mountain lions. Lions, tigers, leopards hold no interest to her,
just mountain lions. Its quite possible she has actually seen or heard
one of them in real life. I was once watching Star Wars episode one and
suddenly she was staring at the TV. It was the scene where Ani's owner
was flying around and she was captivated by the wings fluttering like a
giant moth. Bruiser often will watch the LCD screen on my laptop while I
am playing computer games. He really gets into it too.