Weasel Ball

Old September 5th 05, 09:53 PM
Juls

Default Weasel Ball

LOL, I went out to lunch with family at the Cracker Barrel and they
have a gift shop with lots of stuff. I see this crazy thing called a
Weasel Ball for 6.99, and I thought, maybe that will perk Jack up.
(He's still depressed and moping around)

http://www.weaselballs.com/

This thing is a fake weasel attached to a ball and it flips around all
over the place. Looks like a real weasel playing with a ball.

When I first started it up, Jack arched his back at it (I'd never seen
him arch his back before) and then just followed it around, staying a
safe distance from it. He followed the weasel for a good thirty minutes
before I turned it off to see if he'd make friends. He didn't. He went
to every spot that weasel had been to sniff, I guess to make sure the
weasel didn't mark any spots.

It was hilarious and was nice to see Jack engage in an activity. Well
worth the 6.99.

He's still kind of disturbed by the weasel, because it has big fake
eyes.

Oh, and the weasel flipped on top of three of his holiday mice, and
he's very ****ed the weasel touched his mice. But it's just nice to see
there's still life in Jack, even though he thought the weasel was
unfortunate.

--
To email (remove annoying hyphens)

j-u-l-i
at
e-c-t-dot-o-r-g
Old September 5th 05, 10:14 PM
Candace

Juls wrote:
LOL, I went out to lunch with family at the Cracker Barrel and they
have a gift shop with lots of stuff. I see this crazy thing called a
Weasel Ball for 6.99, and I thought, maybe that will perk Jack up.
(He's still depressed and moping around)

My cats have one, too, but they've always been afraid of it, pretty
much, or at least verrrrrry cautious about it. I think mine broke now,
I'll have to go see because I don't think I've had it on since we got
Marbles. He probably wouldn't be afraid of it. Personally, *I* found
it very entertaining.

Poor Jack, it might only be a kitty that can cheer him up. Do you have
any friends with cats that might be willing to bring one over to see
how he would react?

Candace

Old September 5th 05, 10:44 PM
Juls

In article . com,
"Candace" wrote:

Juls wrote:
LOL, I went out to lunch with family at the Cracker Barrel and they
have a gift shop with lots of stuff. I see this crazy thing called a
Weasel Ball for 6.99, and I thought, maybe that will perk Jack up.
(He's still depressed and moping around)

My cats have one, too, but they've always been afraid of it, pretty
much, or at least verrrrrry cautious about it. I think mine broke now,
I'll have to go see because I don't think I've had it on since we got
Marbles. He probably wouldn't be afraid of it. Personally, *I* found
it very entertaining.

Poor Jack, it might only be a kitty that can cheer him up. Do you have
any friends with cats that might be willing to bring one over to see
how he would react?

I don't, but I just really feel like a new cat or kitten will be the
only thing that really gets him out of his sadness. I hadn't really
comprehended how much they buddied around all day. (And I hadn't
comphrended how many of my routines throughout the day were based on
Dmitri)

There's a sweet cat next door who liked to sit on the deck railing
outside the front window and try to torment Jack and Dmitri. But they
just chirped at him and said Hi, Friend! He was hanging out on the back
porch for awhile, and once I opened the door, with both boys at my
feet. He hissed and spit and jumped a mile high and took off running.
Jack and Dmitri just looked at me like "What's his problem?"

So Jack may be ready, but I'll still have to do the whole intro thing
because the new guy might not be so ready to meet the king.

That poor cat next door is declawed, which really disturbs me greatly.
I've considered catnapping him myself. I do keep a can of mace outside
for him, just in case. (There's a pit bull behind a fence that makes me
nervous. He and I are friendly through the fence, but I worry he might
get loose one day, and the guy next doors has no claws.)

Anyway, I'm thinking I might start looking this week for a new friend
to adopt. It's sooner than I'm ready for, but I think Jack really needs
a brother to love.

Old September 6th 05, 03:42 AM
RobZip

"Juls" wrote in message
LOL, I went out to lunch with family at the Cracker Barrel and they
have a gift shop with lots of stuff. I see this crazy thing called a
Weasel Ball for 6.99, and I thought, maybe that will perk Jack up.
(He's still depressed and moping around)

http://www.weaselballs.com/

My boy Spot observed the weasel for about 10 minutes before attacking
outright. At the end of half an hour, the weasel was detached from the ball,
thrashed severely, groomed and sat upon like some sort of kill trophy. The
other cats all take turns dragging the remains of the weasel about and
thrashing it once in a while. Sometimes a good sprinkling of catnip spikes
their interest.

This week marks one year since the vet was about to euthanize Spot after he
wasted away with upper respiratory infection. After 2 weeks of force
feeding, he recovered and has claimed his place as the Alpha cat in the
household. He's gone from a wheezing, nearly dead bag of bones one year ago
to a feisty, rowdy, 16.5 pound daddy's boy today.

Old September 6th 05, 04:31 AM
Juls

In article , "RobZip"
wrote:

"Juls" wrote in message
LOL, I went out to lunch with family at the Cracker Barrel and they
have a gift shop with lots of stuff. I see this crazy thing called a
Weasel Ball for 6.99, and I thought, maybe that will perk Jack up.
(He's still depressed and moping around)

http://www.weaselballs.com/

My boy Spot observed the weasel for about 10 minutes before attacking
outright. At the end of half an hour, the weasel was detached from the ball,
thrashed severely, groomed and sat upon like some sort of kill trophy. The
other cats all take turns dragging the remains of the weasel about and
thrashing it once in a while. Sometimes a good sprinkling of catnip spikes
their interest.

LOL. This weasel is the funniest thing I've seen in awhile. Turns out
one of my uncles bought three when they first appeared at Cracker
Barrel, to torment their cats with. And apparently their cats love it.

This week marks one year since the vet was about to euthanize Spot after he
wasted away with upper respiratory infection. After 2 weeks of force
feeding, he recovered and has claimed his place as the Alpha cat in the
household. He's gone from a wheezing, nearly dead bag of bones one year ago
to a feisty, rowdy, 16.5 pound daddy's boy today.

OMG, how wonderful that he's come back like that!! That's the most
wonderful thing I've heard.

I'm loving this weazel. LOL. I started it up again and it chased poor
Jack around the living room. After awhile, I turned it off and let it
rest, and he spent twenty minutes doing that thing cats do, where they
want to touch it, but aren't quite sure if they should. So they spend
five minutes working up to it, then just barely touch it, jump back,
and then try again.

He's annoyed by it, yet intrigued. (Even though he's still mad it
touched his holiday mice) It's perked him up a little bit, and that's
all I could ask for. A little step at a time...

Old September 7th 05, 12:18 PM
Captain Midnight

Put it inside of a paper bag,thats a real trip, you cat won't know what
it is and have a ball.

Old September 8th 05, 09:48 AM
John Doe

Juls wrote:

He's still kind of disturbed by the weasel, because it has big
fake eyes.

The disturbance is more likely because it is heavy and forceful.
If it were possible to make a very light and maybe smaller version
of that, it might work as a toy.

Kitty is doing pretty well with those golf ball size plastic balls
with a bell inside made by Hartz. If it continues for a long time,
I will report back. I am trying to encourage him, playing a little
soccer using them. At least he is not intimidated. Kitty soccer
between two or more cats with those things would be marvelous, but
very unlikely I guess. I wonder if a trainer could teach that.
Old September 8th 05, 09:02 PM
jmc

Suddenly, without warning, John Doe exclaimed (08-Sep-05 9:48 AM):
Juls wrote:

He's still kind of disturbed by the weasel, because it has big
fake eyes.

The disturbance is more likely because it is heavy and forceful.
If it were possible to make a very light and maybe smaller version
of that, it might work as a toy.

Kitty is doing pretty well with those golf ball size plastic balls
with a bell inside made by Hartz. If it continues for a long time,
I will report back. I am trying to encourage him, playing a little
soccer using them. At least he is not intimidated. Kitty soccer
between two or more cats with those things would be marvelous, but
very unlikely I guess. I wonder if a trainer could teach that.

Maybe not so unlikely. I remember an incident that happened many years
ago - 1986 I think - between my cat Mouse and my roomate's cat Cleo.

We lived in a farmhouse. I got up to go to work one morning, and I
found Mouse and Cleo in our very large, very empty living room (poor
college students, don'cha'know).

They were facing each other, about 10' apart. In between them was a
very scared, very unfortunate mouse. Curious as to what was going on, I
stayed out of sight, and watched.

After a moment or two, the poor mouse would dart in some direction. The
cat on that side of the 'court' would reach out, and bat the mouse back
into the middle. The mouse would cower, then dart, and the next cat
would bat it back. This went on for the 5 or 10 minutes I watched,
fascinated.

I finally had to leave for work, the cats were still playing tennis when
I left.

Now, I agree that it was a bit cruel for the mouse, but I didn't want to
discourage either cat from doing their job. We had enough mice already.

So, you might not be able to teach Kitty soccer, but perhaps you can
teach him tennis

jmc