PING Jill: butternut squash question

Old August 9th 10, 10:00 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
cshenk

Default PING Jill: butternut squash question

"jmcquown" wrote
"cshenk" wrote in message

it's not in season. I only suggested the soup because of Matthew's
limited diet at the moment. It seemed to fit the bill

Sadly he's not allowed winter squashes yet. That doesnt come until he's
allowed rice, potatoes, and other carbs.

Yes, I read that later after he posted what he's allowed to eat. I just
didn't think about squash being "starch".

It would be perfect if he didn't have that restriction. Gentle easy item
that purees well!

Old August 9th 10, 10:07 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
cshenk

"Jack Campin - wrote

Sadly he's not allowed winter squashes yet. That doesnt come
until he's allowed rice, potatoes, and other carbs.

Yes, I read that later after he posted what he's allowed to eat.
I just didn't think about squash being "starch".

It isn't. Squashes have very little carbohydrate. What they do have
is lots of fibre. Is Matthew having to limit both carbs and fibre?

Not sure and it may be his list just didnt show the few he is allowed.
Either way, I avoided them as they are listed as on his 'off list'.
(Gotta post set 3 but that's easy as he's allowed anything by then, just
careful portions so needs things you can reliably cook once then rewarm or
eat cold).

Old August 10th 10, 12:38 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Yowie

In ,
Marina typed:
Yowie wrote:

According to the late night advertisements, what you need is a mouli
:-)

I had to google that. OMG, they still make those things? I remember
them from my childhood home. More to wash up, not much help in the
kitchen, as I remember it. In the time you need to set the thing up plus
the
time to take it apart and wash it, you'd have cut the veggies several
times over.

I reckon everyone has had one at one time or another, having been convinced
by some late night advertisement (or equivalent) that such a device, much
like all others advertised on late night TV, is the answer to all their
problems.

After the initial "cool new toy" novelty wears off, one starts to realise
that unless there is a *huge* amount of chopping/slicing/grating to be done,
a knife is easier and quicker overall to use than a mouli because the
setup/cleanup time for a mouli is far more than that of a knife. Which is
not to say that moulis aren't fun, but aren't really worth the money most of
the time.

The geek in me wants an equation.

Amount of vegetables to process = x
Rate of vegetable processing for mouli = M
Rate of Vegetable processing for knife = K (where K is less than M)
Setup/packup for Mouli = m
Setup/packup time for knife = neglible

x needs to get larger as K approaches M to keep Mx+m Kx true. In other
words, the closer the speed of the mouli is to someone's knife skills, the
more vegetables thneed to be cut to make the mouli worthwhile.

(I blame it on too much coffee)

Yowie

But I'll admit I find cutting veggies therapeutic. If only Caliban
would keep his nose out of the way.

Old August 10th 10, 11:23 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Granby

Or, unless you want and eat a lot of veggies, you can buy already cut up,
most veggies these days. Someone said they cost so much more. We looked in
her fridge and she had,
half a head of lettuce turning brown,
half bag of carrots that were, for lack of a better word, getting slick.
A half onion gone bad.
Assortment of other things that would be thrown out.
"Yowie" wrote in message
In ,
Marina typed:

Old August 10th 10, 11:39 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Lesley

On 10 Aug, 11:23, "Granby" wrote:
Or, unless *you want and eat a lot of veggies, you can buy already cut up,
most veggies these days.

They're a lifesaver around here- Dave can't cut vegetables easily due
to his hands so I buy them so he can steam them to have with his
lunch, much healthier than some other options. In winter I buy the
ready prepared packs of stewing vegetables and make stews that last a
couple of days with them. I don't find anything goes to waste as I
don't buy big packs. I'm also hooked on those ready to eat carrot
batons, I often have them and some humus (carmelised onion humus is
divine!) on my desk to nibble on instead of having lunch at work

Lesley

Slave of the Fabulous Furballs
Old August 10th 10, 05:08 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Stormmee

well there is where i can say having mine is fine, because it came in a box
of auction stuff we bought for something else entirely, a dollar for the
box, and this was just in there... i got the box for a griswald cast iron
ash try with a matchbook holder, this box had the chopper and a wagner cast
iron ash tray as well, Lee
"Yowie" wrote in message
In ,
Marina typed:

Old August 10th 10, 05:09 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Stormmee

when you figure in the acutal veggies bought vs veggies used and the waste
of clearing away say outside cabbage leaves, prechopped veggies definitely
have their place, Lee
"Granby" wrote in message
Or, unless you want and eat a lot of veggies, you can buy already cut up,
most veggies these days. Someone said they cost so much more. We looked
in her fridge and she had,
half a head of lettuce turning brown,
half bag of carrots that were, for lack of a better word, getting slick.
A half onion gone bad.
Assortment of other things that would be thrown out.
"Yowie" wrote in message
In ,
Marina typed:

Old August 11th 10, 07:17 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
[email protected]

Takayuki wrote:

There's an airline that serves steaks? I haven't gotten a meal on a
plane in a few years now!

Take a trans-Pacific flight - they'll feed you if they don't want you
to starve to death.

I guess if your trip is longer than say 7 or 8 hours, then they have
to feed you. On domestic flights (in the continental US) many airlines
don't serve meals anymore. I pack my own food, which has its own set
of problems. First, it has to be non-perishable, because no way would
I be allowed to bring an ice pack on board (at room temperature, those
things are "gel", which is not allowed). Recently I lost a jar of peanut
butter at the security checkpoint because that's considered a "paste",
evidently another major terrorist tool. I was bummed about that!

Joyce

--
I don't know that I will ever trust again
It's a price I must pay for all my sins
Old August 11th 10, 07:19 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
[email protected]

Marina wrote:

I also make other veggie soups by roasting the veggies in the oven
first. Roast cauliflower soup, roast carrot soup, roast mixed vegetables
etc. Gives a whole new level of flavour to the soup.

That sounds great - I'm going to try that! You've been a source of
some really good cooking ideas.

Joyce

--
I don't know that I will ever trust again
It's a price I must pay for all my sins
Time has changed me and left me full of doubt
And my heart may be lost, never to be found -- Alison Krauss

Roxy likes butternut squash [email protected] Cat anecdotes 16 December 7th 09 09:00 PM
Ping - Jill Jofirey Cat anecdotes 2 November 26th 08 03:08 PM
ping JILL Kyla =^..^= Cat anecdotes 4 March 24th 08 09:32 PM
Ping Jill Jo Firey Cat anecdotes 0 January 9th 06 05:24 AM
Ping Jill Kate Cat anecdotes 4 January 5th 06 08:52 PM