Ping: Matthew, series 2

Old August 8th 10, 10:19 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
cshenk

Default Ping: Matthew, series 2

Although some of these say 'serve over rice or pasta' omit that part.

3 weeks to 3 months. I can advance to no more puree food still no
starches or white sugar. I can start to use fat free/ low fat dressings,
mayo , ketchup, mustard and fat free sour cream

Noted there was a discrepancy. Diet week posted before this allowed yogurt
so some of series 1 has it. Just ignore and rotate those to here if I
misunderstood.

Generally most of these actually fit series 1, but may not take as nicely to
puree.

---------- Recipe via Meal-Master (tm) v8.05

Title: Greek Egg-Lemon Soup
Categories: Diabetic, Soups/stews, Main dish, Rice, Crockpot
Yield: 4 Servings

4 Chicken bouillion cubes;
4 c Boiling water
2 tb Rice; raw
2 md Eggs; beaten
2 tb Lemon juice, fresh
1/4 ts Mixed herb seasoning;
Dash of coarsely ground
-pepper
Parsely sprigs

Dissolve bouillon cubes in boiling water; add rice slowly so as not to
stop
the boiling. Cover, reduce heat to low, and let simmer gently for 15
minutes or until rice is tender but firm. Combine eggs and lemon juice.
Slowly pour half of hot mixture into egg mixture, stirring quickly. Return
to remaining soup, and cook over very low heat 3-4 minutes, stirring
constantly, until mixture is smooth and coats the spoon. (Avoid boiling or
high heat to prevent curdling.) Stir in herb seasoning immediately. Food
exchanges per serving; 1/2 STARCH EXCHANGE + 1/2 MEDIUM-FAT EXCHANGE CHO:
6g; PRO: 4g; FAT: 3g; CAL: 69; Low-sodium diets; Substitute 4 cups
unslated
chichen broth for bouillion cubes and water.

Source: The Art of Cooking for the Diabetic by Mary Abbot Hess, D.R.,M.S.
and Katharine Middleton Brought to you and yours via Nancy O'Brion and her
Meal-Master

File ftp://ftp.idiscover.co.uk/pub/food/m...s/diabetic.zip

-----

---------- Recipe via Meal-Master (tm) v8.05

Title: Hot and Sour Soup
Categories: Soups, Appetizers, Vegetarian
Yield: 6 Servings

8 Dried chinese mushrooms
8 c Vegetable stock
8 sl Ginger, peeled
1/2 Lime, peeled & sliced thin
4 tb Lime juice
1 tb Lemon juice
2 tb Soy sauce
2 Chilies
1 lb Firm tofu, cut into chunks
Cilantro, chopped

Rinse the mushrooms, put them in a small saucepan and cover with water.
Bring them to a boil on high heat and swish the mushrooms to remove excess
dirt. Discard the water. Rinse. Once again, cover the mushrooms and bring
them to a boil, covered. Let sit 1 hour. Then drain, remove tough stems,
squeeze out excess water and slice or cut in half. Bring the stock to a
boil in a large saucepan on high heat, add the ginger and lime slices and
cook for 2-3 minutes. Lower the heat and add the lime and lemon juice, soy
sauce and chilies. Simmer for 5 minutes. Add tofu and mushrooms and simmer
5 more minutes. Taste to check the balance of hot, sour and salt -- none
should overwhelm the other ~- and add more chilies, lime juice or soya
sauce as needed.

Serve garnished with chopped cilantro. Have a side dish of extra sliced
chilies for those who like it hot. Keeps a few days refrigerated but it is
best served fresh.

Jeanne Marie Martin, "Vegan Delights" Posted by Anne MacLellan

From Gemini's MASSIVE MealMaster collection at www.synapse.com/~gemini

Added note: check Tofu. I am unsure if you are allowed it, omit if not
sure.

-----

---------- Recipe via Meal-Master (tm) v8.05

Title: Xxcarol's Greenie Beanie soup
Categories: Xxcarol, Soups
Yield: 12 Servings

1 lb Washed fresh green beans
1 c Cubed potato, waxy type
6 c Chicken stock
1 c Chopped carrots
1/4 c Garlic cloves, whole
1/4 c Chopped purple onion
3 tb Butter
1 ts Chinese 5 spice

Greenie Beanie soup is a fun name for an old version of a vegetable soup,
spiced up just a bit with chinese 5 spice. It will taste 'sweet' and
comes
with stovetop or crockpot directions.

Put all but the green beans in the crockpot or stove top stock pot and
cook
until the carrots and potatoes are fork tender. This will take 6 hours in
a crockpot and about 1 on the stove. Add the green beans, cutting them to
2
inch long bits and either crockpot cook another 1 hour or finish on the
stove for 15 mins at a low simmer.

Optionally you may want to puree the soup just before adding the green
beans. Dont be worried about the amount of garlic. It will cook down and
be mild but you can use less if you want to just add 3-4 cloves. (stovetop
cookers should probably use less).

If you do not have chinese 5 spice, don't worry. Use a little nutmeg and
pumpkin pie spice in it's place. To make the larger batch work in a
smaller
house, make it all the way up to the addition of the green beans then
freeze the excess and make up just the number of cups you need.

This makes a perfect accompany soup to a dinner of roasted pork and a
thickly chewy crusty bread. It also makes a nice light lunch with just
the
bread.

If you home-make your chicken stock, it may be cose to sodium free but
otherwise check the can if on a sodium reduction. The rest is nominal on
that and it's diabetic acceptable as well.

From the Sasebo Japan kitchen of: xxcarol 19JUL2006

Added note: this spans to series 3. Omit potato in series 2. In fact, if
you
use canned veggies (I know, but they mush well) and take out the potato
and butter, this is a blendable series 1.

-----

---------- Recipe via Meal-Master (tm) v8.05

Title: Turkey Creole
Categories: Crockpot, Easy, Xxcarol, Turkey
Yield: 6 Servings

1 Onion, large diced
1 1/2 Bell Pepper, diced
3/4 c Celery, diced
24 oz Stewed Tomatoes
4 1/2 ts Chili powder
3/4 ts Salt (to taste)
4 c Turkey, cooked & cut up
6 c Rice, cooked

Put everything except rice in crockpot. Leave for most of the day. Serve
over cooked rice. How's this for simple? From: Carol Shenkenberger Date:
12-01-99 Cooking

Added note: spanning series 3, without the rice it's a series 2. With
care on
the celery and no rice, this can be converted to series 1. Suggest
Gerbers
turkey puree to make that fast and easy. Don't worry the added spices
make
it adult tasting.

-----

---------- Recipe via Meal-Master (tm) v8.05

Title: Xxcarol's simply kangkoon
Categories: Xxcarol, Vegetables, Japan
Yield: 2 Servings

1 lb Fresh kangkoon
2 c Chicken broth
2 ea Sqizzels Patis (Tiparos)
1/2 tb Spiced Vinegar
2 ea Whole peeled garlic cloves

This is a very time honoured way to fast make a side dish in a place where
normal dinner has at least 5 items. You cant after all, spend 30 mins on
each of them or your family would starve!

One thing folks in the orient do, is 'spice' the boiling water for veggies
and there's an easy way to do this repeated here. It really does make a
difference so try it if you have not. The simplist version will take a
mere 2 mins.

Take 2 cups of chicken broth or mild dashi or if neither is handy, can use
2 cups water and 2 chicken bullion cubes and place in pot. Add the rest
and
simmer for at least 5 mins. Can be simmered longer with no ill effect or
just turn the heat off and place the pot to the side in the hot broth so
you can use the burner for something else like a japanese housewife would
do. She'd use 'kangkoon' which is a spinach type tasting item not enough
different from other types to be notable this time. Use the leaves and not
the hollow stems. (save the stems for a soup).
American fusion addition:
Add a dab of butter to the serving.

From the Sasebo Japan kitchen of: xxcarol 8JUL2006

-----

---------- Recipe via Meal-Master (tm) v8.05

Title: Xxcarol's oysters in 5 mins
Categories: Xxcarol, Japan
Yield: 4 Servings

1/2 lb Oyster meats
1/8 c Datu Puti brand soy sauce
1 tb Suukim maasim spiced vinigar
3 tb Olive oil

Wanna fast treat suitable for the gods? This is it. Heat the olive oil
and dump in the mussel meats. While heating, mix the soy and vinigar
being
sure to shake the vinigar up so you get some of the sediment in there.

Cook til the mussels are hot all though but before any visible cooking
signs (browning) are seen and place on place with the sauce at the side.
Set a set of chopsticks per diner and enjoy!

This from a recipe from a lady at Tonoo market, local favorite food though
she uses sesame oil and said as an optional addition, she'd add a little
miso (pinky nail sized bit of paste).

From the Sasebo Japan kitchen of: xxcarol 10JUL2006

Added note: Asian markets often have frozen mussels, de-shelled and they
work well in this. Oysters and clams too.

-----

---------- Recipe via Meal-Master (tm) v8.05

Title: Curried Apples and Shrimp, xxcarol adapt
Categories: Seafood, Fruits, Shrimp, Xxcarol
Yield: 4 Servings

1 ea Med Onion, red, chopped fine
1/2 c Daikon, shred or fine chop
4 tb Butter or Margarine
2 ea Apples, sliced
3/4 ts Curry Powder
2 ts Flour
3/4 c Water
1 ea Chicken Bouillon Cube
3/4 lb Med Shrimp, shelled & cleane
1/4 ts Patis (optional)

Saute onion and daikon in butter for 2 minutes. Add apple slices and saute
another minute. Blend in curry and flour, add bouillon cube and water,
stirring until well blended. Add shrimp, cover and simmer for 3 minutes,
or
until shrimp in no longer translucent.

This is excellent alone as a side dish in a small bowl or served with rice
as part of a meal. Adapted from a nameless recipe in my MM database, I
optionally add a 'squizzle' of patis. Caution note, a little goes a long
way with patis so do not add too much especially in this dish.

Optional additions: The origonal used celery in place of the daikon.
mild chile pepper would not be amiss.

From the Sasebo Japan kitchen of: xxcarol 29APR2006

-----

---------- Recipe via Meal-Master (tm) v8.05

Title: Skillet Slaw for 2
Categories: Salads, Vegetables, Xxcarol
Yield: 3 Servings

1 sl Bacon
2 tb Onion, fine chopped
1 tb Vinigar
1 tb Water
1 1/2 ts Sugar
1/4 ts Salt
ds Black pepper
2 c Cabbage, finely shredded
1 sm Apple, peeled and chopped
1/4 c Sour cream (FF)

Cook the bacon strip until crisp, and save the bacon drippings. Remove

finished bacon and add the onions, cooking for about 2 mins. Now add the
vinegar, salt, water, pepper, sugar and bring to a boil. Add the slaw and
apples and toss to coat. Cook until the cabbage wilts (about 6 mins).
Stir
in the sour cream and serve topped with the crumbled bacon.

From the kitchen of: xxcarol

-----

---------- Recipe via Meal-Master (tm) v8.05

Title: Xxcarol's Baked Squash
Categories: Low-fat, Vegetables, Xxcarol
Yield: 4 Servings

4 ea Summer yellow squash
1/4 c Lowfat cottage cheese
1/4 c Tofu, soft
1 lg Onion, chopped rough
1 ea Carrot, chopped small
1 ea Green pepper, chopped pretty
1 ts Anise
Salt and pepper to taste

Ok, this isnt haute cuisine, but it's tasty and not high in calories. Due
to the other indredients being 'fat-free' the 1/4 cup cottage cheese makes
it high fat percentage, but actually a decent meal deal on fats because
that 1/4 cup is split 4 ways. Bake at 350 degrees for about 1 hour.

An alternative to Anise as a spice is: Cumin, celery seeds, or chinese 5
spice. You can omit all the spices if desired and serve with a little
bottle of tobasco sauce at the side.

Goes well with: Baked chicken, pork chops, or a simple cold boiled shrimp
dish.

From the kitchen of xxcarol

-----

---------- Recipe via Meal-Master (tm) v8.05

Title: Xxcarol's Kiddie Kimchi
Categories: Xxcarol, Vegetables
Yield: 8 Servings

1 ea Head of Nappa cabbage
2 ea Head Bok Choy cabbage
1/2 ea Daikon (2 cups)
3 tb Salt
1 qt Water
1/3 c Vinegared Hot Pepper Paste
1/2 tb Red chile powder

Yup, she's up to something again! Kid's version of Kimchi? Ya gotta be
kidding! Kids won't get within a country mile of that stuff!

Ok, to start with, this isnt all that hot. The trick is the vinegared
Chile paste. It's from Korea, doesnt taste like Vinegar and is almost a
hot-n-sweet BBQ sauce. Even kids in a chile-wuss family can handle this
one straight. Add the red chile powder (I use a Japanese version) to
taste. Nappa cabbage is otherwise known as 'Asian' cabbage but you can
sub
in other types for it and the bok choy if you need to where you are.
Daikon
is a large white root that is related to the radish but mild in flavor.
Omit if you can not find it.

Kimchi isnt a super 'fast' thing as it has to cure on the counter for at
least 12 hours. Chop the veggies all up small (I made matchsticks of the
daikon) then add to water and the salt. Yes, it's alot of salt. Set this
on the counter in a plastic container and just turn the mix over or shake
it up when you think about it. Depending on how crisp you want it, let
this sit from 12-36 hours (longer, less crisp).

When it's your desired crispness, up-end the container into a collander
and
rinse with fresh water then put it back in the container and add the rest
of the ingredients.

Optional additions: MILD chiles (it's a kids dish!), whole baby carrots,
waterchestnuts.

Serving suggestions: With sliced mango at the side. This is in itself a
side dish and makes a nice topper for rice or glass noodles.

From the kitchen of: xxcarol, Sasebo Japan, 1AUG2004

-----

---------- Recipe via Meal-Master (tm) v8.05

Title: Xxcarol's Neck-O-Love
Categories: Xxcarol, Soups
Yield: 4 Servings

2 ea Chicken necks, skinned
7 ea Chopped chicken gizzards
1 ea Japanese green bell pepper
1 ea Japanese red bell pepper
1 ea Small onion, sliced fine
2 lg Garlic cloves, sliced small
4 c Water
1 ds Poulty seasoning
1 ds Cumin seasoning

It's a cloudy rainy day here in Sasebo, so what would be more natural than
a pot of soup? The fixings are adaptable and easily obtained although
finding 'chicken necks' may require a local Asian Grocery for some parts
of
the world where they arent sold commonly. Of course, you can save them up
from whole dressed chickens where they usually are in a bag inside!

The Japanese Bell Peppers, red and green, are just a stronger flavored
version than seen in the USA supermarket but you should be able to
substitute those from your area with pretty much the same effect. Chop all
the ingredients except the chicken necks, and add it all to the pot.

Simmer for about 2 hours and add salt/black pepper to taste. Remove the
necks and either place 1/2 of one in each bowl, or pick the meat off and
return to the pot, discarding any bones.

Serving suggestion: This one does well with a lite green leafy salad with
a little olive oil and a sprinkle of grated Romano cheese. If you can
find
Mochi (rice-flour based crackers), serve to the side with the soup.

From the Sasebo Kitchen of: xxcarol, 14JUNE2003

-----

---------- Recipe via Meal-Master (tm) v8.05

Title: Xxcarol's Rainy Day Flock Stew
Categories: Xxcarol, Crockpot, Ham, Soups/stews
Yield: 12 Servings

3 c Chopped cooked ham, canned
16 oz Frozen cut okra
28 oz Can crushed tomatoes
16 oz Can stewed tomatoes w/ water
1/2 c Chopped onion
1 ea Chopped green pepper, bell
1 ts Curry spice mix, Jamaican
1 ea 2.25oz can black olives

It's raining and I just had to cook something! The local kids here travel
in a flock and my place is one of the more popular. I try to have
something simple around for them.

The canned ham is that simple inexpensive water-pack type. I had alot of
it in the freezer to use up. You can use something else for the meat here
but this one matches the spices I used. Also, as it's meant for kids I
reduced the onions and didnt add much spice.

The spice is a curry blend from Jamaica, with cumin, coriander, tumeric,
fenugreek, black and red pepper, and garlic. It is fairly mild.

Pretty much chop up all the goodies and add to the crockpot then pour over
the cans (including the liquids) and add the spice. Let cook on low for 6
hours then adjust seasonings. If you want to adapt this to a thick soup,
add 1-2 cups of chicken broth or 1 can tomato soup and 1 can water. Left
as
a stew, it's a good topper for a bowl of rice from the ricemaker. Made to
soup, add a scoup of rice to the soup.

Optional Additions: Adults may want more onion and to add some medium
level heat chiles.

Serving Suggestions: With rice, it's a complete meal. Adults will enjoy
mild 7-Up cooler with white wine. For kids, Kool-aide rocks!

From the Sasebo kitchen of: xxcarol 2AUG2004

-----

---------- Recipe via Meal-Master (tm) v8.05

Title: Xxcarol's Simple Snapper
Categories: Xxcarol, Seafood, Microwave
Yield: 2 Servings

12 oz Snapper fillet
2 ts Lemon pepper seasoning salt
2 ts Olive oil

One of my rare microwave recipes, this one is simple and easy and I've
often made it to take for lunch at work.

Using a plastic samwich bag, put the Snapper (cut it smaller as needed)
and
the rest in then let it marinate overnight. Next day, remove from bag and
microwave approximately 5 minutes.

Things to bring with it for lunch that are also easy: Salad in a samwich
bag with dressing. Rolls with butter (or biscuits). Fruit.

From: xxcarol, retyped 28DEC2006 but an old recipe from Norfolk

Added note: this spans to series 1 as you can puree it well.

-----

Old August 9th 10, 02:12 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
MaryL

Default Matthew, series 2

"cshenk" wrote in message
Although some of these say 'serve over rice or pasta' omit that part.

3 weeks to 3 months. I can advance to no more puree food still no
starches or white sugar. I can start to use fat free/ low fat
dressings,
mayo , ketchup, mustard and fat free sour cream

Noted there was a discrepancy. Diet week posted before this allowed
yogurt so some of series 1 has it. Just ignore and rotate those to here
if I misunderstood.

Generally most of these actually fit series 1, but may not take as nicely
to puree.

You are offering a wonderful service to Matthew by researching and printing
all these recipes. As a matter of fact, I think I will borrow some of them.
I don't need to puree anything, but I do have diabetes. As a result, I have
eliminated all the so-called "white stuff" (refined sugar, flour, pasta,
rice, potatoes). Many of your recipes will fit well within that regimen,
and I can simply eliminate bread and croutons from others (just as you
suggested to Matthew).

MaryL

Old August 9th 10, 03:04 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Matthew[_3_]

I can't say thank you enough but you are making me DROOL ;-)

From Gemini's MASSIVE MealMaster collection at www.synapse.com/~gemini

[...]

From the Sasebo Japan kitchen of: xxcarol 19JUL2006

Date:
[...]

From the Sasebo Japan kitchen of: xxcarol 8JUL2006

-----

[...]

From the Sasebo Japan kitchen of: xxcarol 10JUL2006

[...]

From the Sasebo Japan kitchen of: xxcarol 29APR2006

-----

[...]

From the kitchen of: xxcarol

-----

[...]

From the kitchen of xxcarol

-----

[...]

From the kitchen of: xxcarol, Sasebo Japan, 1AUG2004

-----

[...]

From the Sasebo Kitchen of: xxcarol, 14JUNE2003

-----

[...]

From the Sasebo kitchen of: xxcarol 2AUG2004

-----

From: xxcarol, retyped 28DEC2006 but an old recipe from Norfolk

Old August 9th 10, 03:28 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Granby

My cardiologist said for me not to diet as such but to eliminate "white"
from my eating. More complicated than I thought it would be. But works.

Old August 9th 10, 03:43 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
MaryL

"Granby" wrote in message
My cardiologist said for me not to diet as such but to eliminate "white"
from my eating. More complicated than I thought it would be. But works.

Yes, it works very well. I have not needed any diabetes medication since
March 2005. My doctor has been very pleased (and surprised).

MaryL

Old August 9th 10, 10:28 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
cshenk

"Matthew" wrote

I can't say thank you enough but you are making me DROOL ;-)

Most welcome! It was fun and barely scratched the surface of what you can
do. I'll have series 3 (limited carb, lumps allowed but still need small
sizes per meal) ready soon. The aim of that one is more to have something
you make once a day then are able to rewarm or eat cold with no taste
suffering.

Lee will hopefully post her way of making Juk/Congee which may be better
than my plain version of those names. My own version is called 'rice
porridge' (Kyushu Japan version) and is probably much more fancy. Her's is
probabably the Thai/Korean version or may be the Vietnam version. Those 3
are pretty close. The Japan one is like them but on steriods (grin).

Thinks I didnt see in your list of allowed so didnt use but suspect if you
ask the dietician may be ok. Tofu, Miso, soy sauces. Things not listed and
for good reason: wine or anything with an alcohol base (includes mirin and
cooking sherry). If you want that 'wine taste' though, you can get a level
not far off from 100% (no sugar added) cranberry juice. Tart as heck drunk
straight but in small amounts, milds out not too far off the same as a red
wine in cooking.

Oh and they didnt seem to warn you about OJ. Even with no sugar added, it's
real high.

Old August 9th 10, 10:38 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
cshenk

"MaryL" wrote
"cshenk" wrote

yogurt so some of series 1 has it. Just ignore and rotate those to here
if I misunderstood.
Generally most of these actually fit series 1, but may not take as nicely
to puree.

You are offering a wonderful service to Matthew by researching and
printing all these recipes. As a matter of fact, I think I will borrow
some of them. I don't need to puree anything, but I do have diabetes. As
a result, I have eliminated all the so-called "white stuff" (refined
sugar, flour, pasta, rice, potatoes). Many of your recipes will fit well
within that regimen, and I can simply eliminate bread and croutons from
others (just as you suggested to Matthew).

Grin, it was fun! As he peels through them, he (or another) may ask 'got
more along this one's line' and I'll happily hunt along. I've got some very
decent diabetic ones.

Old August 9th 10, 10:51 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Granby

You know, because of Matthew, we may end up with a very healthful newsgroup.
There is something nice that can be said about everyone
"cshenk" wrote in message
"MaryL" wrote
"cshenk" wrote

Old August 9th 10, 11:14 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Matthew[_3_]

Ok I see a guilt trip coming on here

"Granby" wrote in message
You know, because of Matthew, we may end up with a very healthful
newsgroup. There is something nice that can be said about everyone
"cshenk" wrote in message
"MaryL" wrote
"cshenk" wrote

Old August 9th 10, 11:45 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Granby

That was an evil grin, you usually give them, not get them!
ng.com...

"Granby" wrote in message
You know, because of Matthew, we may end up with a very healthful
newsgroup. There is something nice that can be said about everyone
"cshenk" wrote in message
"MaryL" wrote
"cshenk" wrote

Ping: Matthew Mishi Cat anecdotes 6 August 12th 07 08:24 PM
PING Matthew Pat Cat anecdotes 1 December 6th 06 05:20 AM
PING: Matthew (aka NMR) Magic Mood Jeep Cat anecdotes 2 June 2nd 06 02:03 PM