A cat forum. CatBanter

The Raccoon and the Possum

Old March 26th 19, 01:22 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Bill Stock[_2_]

Default The Raccoon and the Possum

I've mentioned that we leave food out for a couple of strays and the wildlife sometimes gets into it. But the other night I turned on the light and I see a large Raccoon and a Possum at the same food. The Possum left as soon as I turned the light on, but he didn't exactly run away either. I thought Possums were relatively timid, despite all those sharp little teeth. I don't know what happened before I turned on the light, but the Raccoon was not aggressive at all, which really surprised me.
Old March 26th 19, 03:58 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jmcquown[_2_]

On 3/25/2019 9:22 PM, Bill Stock wrote:
I've mentioned that we leave food out for a couple of strays and the wildlife sometimes gets into it. But the other night I turned on the light and I see a large Raccoon and a Possum at the same food. The Possum left as soon as I turned the light on, but he didn't exactly run away either.

Opossums aren't exactly known for speed.

I thought Possums were relatively timid, despite all those sharp little teeth. I don't know what happened before I turned on the light, but the Raccoon was not aggressive at all, which really surprised me.

Maybe the Possum and the raccoon are BFF's in private life. LOL

The only opossum I ever encountered was outside my fenced patio back in
TN. It was a young one. I spotted it hiding in some shrubs along the
back wall of the apartment when I went out to check the mailbox. I sat
down and stayed very still. It sort of meandered out from under the
bushes, across the lawn to a tree and proceeded to climb up, very
slowly. It didn't seem at all disturbed by me. Didn't show me it's
teeth. Wasn't Speedy Gonzales, either!

Jill
Old March 26th 19, 05:07 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Bill Stock[_2_]

On Tuesday, March 26, 2019 at 11:58:03 AM UTC-4, Jill McQuown wrote:
[...]

Just after I posted this last night, I looked outside and there they were eating face to face again. Yeah, I don't know if the Possum is female or not, but I don't want to be Godfather to those babies.
Old March 26th 19, 05:55 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jmcquown[_2_]

On 3/26/2019 1:07 PM, Bill Stock wrote:
[...]

They would look weird, for sure! Perhaps they just both realize a good
thing (free food!) when they see it and have called an armistace.

I honestly don't know if they are are naturally antagonistic towards
each other.

Jill
Old March 26th 19, 06:09 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Mishi[_2_]

On Tuesday, March 26, 2019 at 1:55:03 PM UTC-4, Jill McQuown wrote:
[...]

It depends on the raccoon. I heard screaming coming from my garage a few years ago, and ran out to see what the heck was going on. A raccoon had a opossum by the tail, and was dragging it around, snarling and growling. I stomped my foot, and the coon let go, then went right back after the poor possum. I grabbed my hose and hosed the coon down, driving him away from the poor possum. I trapped the coon that night, and turned him into a animal control guy that lives down the street. The coon was a miserable SOB - he turned the trap over while he was in it, growling and snarling at me. Even the animal control guy said he was a mean sucker!
Old March 26th 19, 06:26 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jmcquown[_2_]

On 3/26/2019 2:09 PM, Mishi wrote:
[...]

I gather they can be mean suckers! Fortunately I've never encountered a
situation like that. I gather you were using a Hav-A-Hart trap. They
don't have to like it. I've never tried to trap either one.

Jill

Old March 26th 19, 07:18 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Mishi[_2_]

On Tuesday, March 26, 2019 at 2:26:14 PM UTC-4, Jill McQuown wrote:
[...]

Yes, I used a Hav-A-Hart trap, and the animal control guy has an area about 30 miles away that he has permission to release them into. It is swampy, with plenty of wild food. (I asked him before trapping.) It is far enough away that the raccoon will be unlikely to return. We have trapped about 20 coons over the years - our property backs up onto an old cemetery and swampy area, along a creek, so they are very populous here.

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Dead baby possum in the road dgk Cat anecdotes 15 September 11th 12 09:22 PM
OT Just relocated a kittke possum Kraut / Larry S. Cat anecdotes 8 October 17th 10 12:06 AM
I saw uh Possum Mosey =`^..^`= Cat community 16 April 24th 09 11:34 PM
Poor Possum dopekitty Cat anecdotes 1 November 16th 05 07:05 PM
OT - Playing 'possum' (american possum) Mishi Cat anecdotes 7 July 25th 05 05:45 PM