Rude Awakening!

Old May 25th 07, 05:34 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
EvelynVogtGamble(Divamanque)

Default Rude Awakening!

Five A.M., sound asleep, and suddenly all Hell breaks loose,
cats screaming hysterically! I was halfway to the source of
the racket before I'd even opened my eyes. There were my
two girls, tails bushed to full capacity, confronting a
strange cat through the patio door! This really surprised
me, because I had no idea they could display that kind of
aggression! When I acquired Cendrillon, she and Melisande
accepted each other with only cautious avoidance for the
first day or two - no screams, no hisses, not even a warning
growl between them.

I live in a very large apartment complex (over 100
buildings, 1220 units). The terms of our leases require
people to keep their pets confined, but of course not
everyone complies. The patio walls are only four or five
feet high - you can put a dog out there and it stays
(although it may bark all day and night) - cats don't even
regard a wall that high as a challenge! Unfortunately,
however, I think most of the wandering cats on the property
are "throw aways" - people move out (or get tired of the
responsiblilty) and just leave them to fend for themselves.
There are decorative pools and waterfalls to drink from
all over the spacious grounds, plenty of nooks and crannies
for creatures their size to find shade or shelter, and lots
of birds and small prey to hunt.... A cat on its own could
do a lot worse, so I'm sure we have quite a sizeable colony
of ferals.

Those I occasionally catch sight of appear reasonably
well-fed, so either hunting is very good, or some of the
tenants put food out for them. (Or they have homes, but are
allowed outside, despite the rules.) Occasionally I've seen
an Animal Control truck on the premises, but these cats are
pretty wary of being approached, so I doubt they are often
successfully captured. Judging from the episodes I've seen
on Animal Planet, Phoenix has a fairly enlightened humane
society - I'm not sure how they deal with colonies of feral
cats on private property, but hopefully the strays that get
picked up are the lucky ones.
Old May 26th 07, 04:34 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Karen

On 2007-05-25 11:34:10 -0500, "EvelynVogtGamble(Divamanque)"
said:

[...]

Did they calm down? I saw the little calico again this evening.
Definitely someone lets her/him out on nice evenings. It is bird heaven
right out here.

Old May 26th 07, 07:16 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
EvelynVogtGamble(Divamanque)

Karen wrote:

Did they calm down?

Oh, yes - as soon as the stranger caught sight of me through
the patio door, he/she started to leave, and I sped it on
its way with a "scat!" through the door opened an inch for
the purpose.

Why did I feel guilty? There's no way I could have another
cat here, even two is stretching things. (And judging by my
girls' response to the mere sight of an intruder, they
wouldn't stand for the addition, anyway!)

hoomanz iz so rude!!! Stormmee Cat community 11 October 27th 06 03:06 PM
Moe was very rude the other day [email protected] Cat anecdotes 0 November 28th 05 10:38 PM
Rude awakening Mishi Cat anecdotes 10 April 25th 05 07:12 PM
unpleasant dream, nice awakening JB Cat anecdotes 0 December 23rd 04 03:10 PM
Rude girl Magic Mood JeepĀ© Cat anecdotes 1 November 5th 03 07:40 PM