SO Angry!

Old March 18th 04, 01:40 AM
Kalyahna

Default SO Angry!

Okay. So I get home from work today, looking forward to having a functioning
kitchen light for the first time in a couple of months. I was a little
confused because it was a ceiling fan, not a replacement of the fluorescent
thing that had been up there. And then I looked around and notice something
exceedingly odd. My window was open. WIDE open. So were the blinds. And I
could only see the one cat, sitting on the bed, watching me. What's the
first thing I do? Tear around the apartment hunting for my other two, and my
absolutely petrified foster cat. None of them to be found. I flung open the
window and yelled 'here kitty kitty kitty' several times, and to my great
relief, my orange tabby Pandora pops up and meows at me, running toward the
window. By this time, I had called my landlord because I had requested
maintenance on the light. The receptionist calls back to tell me that both
the maintenance man and the maintenance manager insist THEY didn't open any
windows. At that point, I'm outside digging my shaved-a-week-ago new cat out
of one of those odd gutters built into the ground to keep the earth and
runoff away from the basement windows. I told the woman my cats don't have
opposable thumbs, so getting the window open is impossible for them, and
then hung up on her. I found the foster cat smashed against the wall, under
the bed, too afraid to move. Everybody's alright, though I'm still ****ed
off about it, and wondering how far I take this. I'll talk to the complex
manager on Monday (I don't have any choice, between office hours and my work
schedule, that's the first day I have off that they're open). I don't know
if I want the stupid ******* fired or reprimanded, or just to admit that he
did, in fact, leave the window open.

What makes me so angry is that I work for a humane society... yes, I know I
should have them all collared and tagged, but collars and tags help people
contact the owner, they don't prevent the cat from getting into all the
trouble they can get into when allowed outside in an admittedly bad
neighborhood... so I'm aware of all these risks... but there were inches of
snow on the ground this morning! It was below freezing on my way to work,
and not much better than that on my way home. I'm so grateful they're okay
and they were smart enough not to go far and they were smart enough to
respond when I called (all Peaches did was meow loudly, but it was enough to
find her)... but I'm SO furious that they lied! I mean, the window has a
latch that you have to lift and hold while you're opening the window. My
cats, smart as they are, don't tend to cooperate to get into the cabinets,
much less open a friggin' window. Any cat that wants out is going to squeeze
through the smallest space, not open it three feet wide first. Plus, I have
those lovely venetian blinds that only open or close or rotate if you use
the hangy-turny thing to do so, and my cats can't open the blinds or rotate
them the opposite direction of the way -I- always turn them (so that the
slits of light don't reflect on the computer screen). AUGH! I want to pummel
the man into a leaking mass of bloody goo.

Old March 18th 04, 04:47 AM
MarAzul

"Kalyahna" wrote in message
Okay. So I get home from work today, looking forward to having a

functioning
kitchen light for the first time in a couple of months. I was a little
confused because it was a ceiling fan, not a replacement of the

fluorescent
thing that had been up there. And then I looked around and notice

something
exceedingly odd. My window was open. WIDE open. So were the blinds.

First of all.. my heart goes out to you. I'm sure before the anger set in
you were in a state of panic for your cats.

Second.... even if nothing else happens from it, I would *definatly* report
it. Even if you didn't have cats that kind of irresponibility is disgusting.
(as Mary said.. what if you had been robbed??) I don't care what the problem
is, or if I'd have to take a half day at work, I never let anyone in my
apartment without myself or my husband being home. Paranoid? Sure.. But not
only do we have cats in the house, we have guns. It's been my experience
that something always goes wrong if you're not there.

Mar
-------------------------------------
"Did you find the gun?"
"Yeah.. it was in Buffy's underwear drawer. She has nice things."
"Show me."
"Well, I didnt take 'em but there were thongs and regular underpants..."
"Show me then gun!"

-Andrew and The First
-Buffy the Vampire Slayer

Old March 18th 04, 08:50 AM
Tracy

Probably a good ideal to collar and tag (and microchip) the cats.
Old March 18th 04, 08:50 AM
Tracy

Probably a good ideal to collar and tag (and microchip) the cats.
Old March 18th 04, 10:50 AM
IBen Getiner

"Kalyahna" wrote in message ...
[...]

If you continue to demonstrate this kind of negligence regarding your
pets, there are people here who will see to it that the proper
authorities come and take them away from you.

Old March 18th 04, 04:21 PM
Kalyahna

"Tracy" wrote in message
om...
Probably a good ideal to collar and tag (and microchip) the cats.

I can do that for MY cats, but I can't do that for the fosters that I have
90% of the time. The shelter offers microchipping now and then for outside
animals, but it's still a point of discussion whether or not it should for
adopted animals (it's not, currently). And I tend to take the cats that
desperately need socialization - so chances are they won't have the courage
to leap out any windows, but if something should scare them so that they do?
Chances are I won't find them before they're picked up as a stray (again) or
killed by a car or a roaming dog or whatnot.

It won't hurt to ask the foster coordinator, though, if it's alright to have
them collared and tagged with shelter info, at the least.

Old March 18th 04, 04:26 PM
kilikini

"IBen Getiner" moronically said:

(snip)

If you continue to demonstrate this kind of negligence regarding your
pets, there are people here who will see to it that the proper
authorities come and take them away from you.

I can't believe that you just said that! The OP didn't leave the window
open, the repairmen did. She frantically found all of the kitties. Why was
she negligent? What did *she* do wrong besides let those imbeciles into her
apartment, but sometimes you don't have a choice.

Why is Usenet all about arguing with other people? I've been on Usenet for
about 7 years now and have met some wonderful people, have shared some
excellent ideas and advice, but it's getting a little petty. (I'm sure
there will be plenty of flaming going on telling me to just get out.)
Lighten up!

kilikini

Angry cat Jack Cat health & behaviour 24 December 4th 03 10:26 PM
I am so angry (vent) MaryL Cat health & behaviour 76 November 2nd 03 06:08 PM