Kitten Poop!

Old October 17th 03, 07:18 PM
Karen M.

Default Kitten Poop!

To my fellow feral caretakers, have a question:

I posted pics recently of my two lovely semi-feral kittens, Miss
Marmalade (Marmie) and Harley. They are doing great for the most part,
except for one little problem - Marmie is not going in the litter box.
She goes *around* the litter box, but not in it.

She went to the vet right before I got her. She did have worms, she's
been treated. I haven't noticed further worm bits in her stools, and
believe me, I've been getting reeeaaal good looks (and smells). Other
than that she was healthy. Her poops are still a bit runny, but she's
regular and pees regularly too, though once again, not in the box, as I
just discovered. She was peeing in a cat bed, that has been removed.

Her brother goes in there like a dream. I clean up each "deposit" very
thoroughly with a special cleaner. I've tried placing their litter box
over the offending sites, no go. I've tried containing them to the
bathroom for awhile for feeding and post-feeding elimination, no go. She
held it, then after I let her out into her area, she went and pooped.
She was doing this when they were in their big dog crate too for the
first few days. I thought maybe the space was too small. She was pooping
in their sleeping area, too. And she was doing it before I got her, her
rescuer noticed it too.

I'm thinking another vet trip is in order, but maybe this is a habit
left over from her original worm condition? And also keep them contained
in the bathroom, a "virgin" room for a few days. I hate to back track
with them, as they're making great progress getting more freedom in the
house, but this little problem will prevent Marmie from getting adopted,
and I'd really like them to get adopted together.

Sorry for the long post, but I wanted to give all the info that I can
think of off the top of my head.

Old October 17th 03, 08:55 PM
LauraK

I posted pics recently of my two lovely semi-feral kittens, Miss
Marmalade (Marmie) and Harley. They are doing great for the most part,
except for one little problem - Marmie is not going in the litter box.
She goes *around* the litter box, but not in it.

Try a different brand or type of litter.
Try a box with lower sides -- maybe a disposable aluminum jelly roll pan with
very low sides.
What does she do when you put her in the litter box? Does she observe the other
kitten when he's using it? Kittens are usually very curious about what other
cats are doing in there, often to the dismay of older cats who prefer a little
privacy.

http://www.madmousergraphics.com
web design, print design, photography

Old October 17th 03, 09:01 PM
Sharon Talbert

First, the vet visit, to rule out medical cause (take a stool sample, to
rule out continued roundworm or even a new species of parasite). Then all
I can think of to do is cage her, just to help home her to the litterpan
and to break the ugly cycle she's gotten into. Could she be making a
statement about the litter itself? It might be worthwhile offering a
different litter, if that hasn't been tried already. Either way, though,
I would get her out of her current environment.

Good luck and keep us posted.

Sharon Talbert
Friends of Campus (feral) Cats
www.campuscats.org
Old October 17th 03, 09:10 PM
MaryL

"Karen M." wrote in message
To my fellow feral caretakers, have a question:

I posted pics recently of my two lovely semi-feral kittens, Miss
Marmalade (Marmie) and Harley. They are doing great for the most part,
except for one little problem - Marmie is not going in the litter box.
She goes *around* the litter box, but not in it..

I'm thinking another vet trip is in order, but maybe this is a habit
left over from her original worm condition?

How large is your litter box? Duffy did that for awhile (my blind cat
adopted several months ago). Megan suggested a larger and deeper box. I
was already using the VanNess "large" box, so I bought one of the
extra-large boxes with hoods and discarded the hood. The box is deeper than
the one I was using. That did it! Duffy's tail end was apparently hanging
over the other box and urine would drip to the floor. I haven't had any
problems since.

Of course, all of this presumes that there are no medical problems. It is
always important to first rule out urinary tract infections. I would have
particular concerns in this area since you say she was also peeing in the
cat bed until it was removed (whereas Duffy was simply "missing" the box).

MaryL
(take out the litter to reply)

Photos of Duffy and Holly: 'o'
http://tinyurl.com/8y54 (Introducing Duffy to Holly)
http://tinyurl.com/8y56 (Duffy and Holly "settle in")

Old October 17th 03, 09:12 PM
Karen M.

Thanks Sharon. I'm thinking there's still *something* internal as well.
I'm a little leary to re-crate her, as she's pooped in there too with
the litter box handy. I don't want her to have "poop flashbacks". That's
why I'm thinking bathroom, as she has committed no felonies in there. I
did change her litter, the woman brought over the pine pellet kind they
had been using, I switched them over to World's Best a few days ago.
Didn't make a difference. I have Swheat Scoop handy too, and am going to
try mixing that in slowly to see if that makes a difference. Oh, and
I've tried muttering under my breath while cleaning up the smelly poop
and that hasn't helped either... Thanks for the suggestions!

Ah the smell of kitten poop,

Old October 17th 03, 09:27 PM
MaryL

"LauraK" wrote in message
[...]

Ooops. I missed the fact that these are kittens when I posted. Your
message had not shown up on my server when I posted my suggestion to use a
larger box (which is what worked for my cat, but he is an adult cat).

MaryL
(take out the litter to reply)

Old October 17th 03, 11:12 PM
Karen M.

MaryL wrote:
[...]

Hey MaryL,
I don't *think* it's the size, I just switched them to a larger one and
Harley is "fitting" just fine. I think it's started out medical and
now she's used to eliminating other places. Her original rescuer is
coming tomorrow to take both her and Harley for a check-up at the vet
her group uses and I just appraised her of the latest situation. We'll
get this nipped in the bud. Incidentally, Sharon Talbert from this group
just alerted me to a new kind of litter -

Dr. Elsey's Cat Attract Cat Litter -
"Developed by veterinarian in a feline-only practice, Cat Attract Litter
is designed to make it easier to get cats of all ages trained or
re-trained to use the litterbox. This clay-based clumping litter has
just the right texture, particle size and a unique herbal scent which is
proven to attract cats. It is scoopable, 99% dust free and contains
chlorophyll for natural odor control. Each bag includes a booklet with
step-by-step instructions for using Cat Attract and useful tips for
getting any cat to use the litter box. Also includes an unconditional
manufacturer's guarantee."

How cool is that for a resource?

Old October 18th 03, 01:44 AM
PattyC

"Karen M." wrote in message
[...]

When I rescued 3 kitties last summer, Moe (of Moe, Larry & Curley) did just
as you describe above. I was very worried about him, and about getting him
adopted, because of that. Eventually, Larry & Curley got adopted, but Moe
was having "sick" behavior, even after being treated twice for worms.

A woman who works at my vet's office adopted Moe (and then named him
Reuben). She has told me he then was put on antibiotics and eventually got
OK. He is a "normal" cat now who goes in the litter box. He weighed less
than 2 pounds when he left my home in summer 2002. She told me recently
that he weighs 12 pounds now!!

Just thinking give it time, OR have someone who can afford frequent vet
visits adopt Marmie!

PattyC

PS. You can see Moe here if you like. I still miss him.
http://community.webshots.com/user/pattyc4303

Old October 18th 03, 04:49 AM
MaryL

"Karen M." wrote in message

Incidentally, Sharon Talbert from this group
just alerted me to a new kind of litter -

Dr. Elsey's Cat Attract Cat Litter -
"Developed by veterinarian in a feline-only practice, Cat Attract Litter
is designed to make it easier to get cats of all ages trained or
re-trained to use the litterbox. This clay-based clumping litter has
just the right texture, particle size and a unique herbal scent which is
proven to attract cats. It is scoopable, 99% dust free and contains
chlorophyll for natural odor control. Each bag includes a booklet with
step-by-step instructions for using Cat Attract and useful tips for
getting any cat to use the litter box. Also includes an unconditional
manufacturer's guarantee."

How cool is that for a resource?

My sister has started to use Cat Attract litter for her cat that was
urinating outside the box. Unfortunately, her cat is declawed (as is true
of many cats with inappropriate urination). So far, the litter seems to be
helping a lot. She says the litter has a strange consistency and the balls
of urine get almost a concrete-like consistency, but she is happy with the
results.

Good luck!

MaryL
(take out the litter to reply)

Old October 20th 03, 08:04 PM
Karen M.

"MaryL" -OUT-THE-LITTER wrote in message ...
"LauraK" wrote in message
[...]

Oh well, it's good suggestion anyway. I had just gotten a bigger
litter box and switched litter, so I was just following your advice
*in advance*...

Karen