meowing too much?

Old February 8th 05, 06:59 AM
Justin L

Default meowing too much?

I found out new cats' bad habit, or at least one of them. He meows at
night very loudly! I am guessing he is begging to go out because right
now he is scratching at the door as he is meowing up a storm.

What can I do? I have tried:
Feeding him
Playing with him
Petting him
Ignoring him

He woke me up at 4 different times last night. He almost sounds like a
lady cat in heat!

Help!!

Justin
Old February 8th 05, 05:17 PM
Karen

"Justin L" wrote in message

Karen Chuplis wrote:
in article , Justin L at
wrote on 2/7/05 11:59 PM:

I found out new cats' bad habit, or at least one of them. He meows at
night very loudly! I am guessing he is begging to go out because right
now he is scratching at the door as he is meowing up a storm.

What can I do? I have tried:
Feeding him
Playing with him
Petting him
Ignoring him

He woke me up at 4 different times last night. He almost sounds like a
lady cat in heat!

Help!!

Justin

He is in a different room than you, yes? This should get better once

they
can be out together.

Last night he was in a different room, and I actually got a decent night
sleep!

On the nights he was with me in the room, I went and slept on the couch
when he started meowing.

Hopefully he stops once he is settled in more.

Justin

When my cat Pearl first came to me (from my brother who couldn't keep her)
she would meow at night after I went to bed until I went and got her. This
slowly got better. Then when we moved, this behaviour started again. It
persisted about 3 months but finally settled down. It's like she didn't know
I'd gone to bed or often didn't want me to. At any rate, she is a talker,
definitely has some Siamese in her. As long as I brought her in and put her
in the bed with me, she was quiet. She will run into the bathroom and jump
on the counter and meow at the mirror too (during the day). However, she
adapted and now does not meow at night. It seemed to be an indication of her
level of comfort with a new situation. That is why I think this will get
better when everything normalizes for you all.

Old February 9th 05, 01:34 AM
Slimpickins

"Justin L" wrote in message
. com...
I found out new cats' bad habit, or at least one of them. He meows at
night very loudly! I am guessing he is begging to go out because right
now he is scratching at the door as he is meowing up a storm.

What can I do? I have tried:
Feeding him
Playing with him
Petting him
Ignoring him

He woke me up at 4 different times last night. He almost sounds like a
lady cat in heat!

Help!!

Justin

***Excessive vocalization can be due to several things. Basically it could
be either physical or behavioral. It's alwaays a very good idea to have him
check out by a before* assuming it's a behavioral problem. However, IMO, in
his case, it sounds like it's behavior. First off, do not* go to him when
he vocalizes. Ignore him. Call out to him and say, "NO!". Keep repeating
this and be consistent. It will take time, depending on your cat, and how
easy he is to train over time. But when you do go to him to play, etc, it
only reinforces this negative behavior that your trying to nip. So if he's
indeed doing it for attention, then he's gotten exactly what he wants. The
recent January-05 issue of Cat fancy, actually discusses excessive
vocalization and other top behavioral issues and concerns. You may still be
able to find it in some pet stores.

ML

Old February 9th 05, 04:32 AM
Justin L

Slimpickins wrote:
"Justin L" wrote in message
. com...

[...]

Thanks, I will look for it.

I think this cats previous owner taught him a couple of bad habits. I am
guessing they used to let him out whenever he would meow like this. He
also seems to want to grab and bite my hand when petting him, which I am
guessing he learned from them as well. It makes me afraid to pet him for
too long.

Justin
Old February 9th 05, 09:38 AM
Mary

"Justin L" wrote

He
also seems to want to grab and bite my hand when petting him, which I am
guessing he learned from them as well. It makes me afraid to pet him for
too long.

Every single time he grabs at you, say OW! really loudly and
stop playing.