Would you leave food out for raccoons?

Old June 30th 06, 01:54 AM posted to alt.cats,alt.pets.cats,rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Barb P

Default Would you leave food out for raccoons?

--
Where will you spend eternity? In the Smoking or Non-Smoking Section?
"studio" wrote in message
ps.com...
Barb P wrote:
Someone mentioned cat food not good for raccoons. We had the coon problem
year ago. They got into our attic thru the chimney. We had hired the
wildlife control man to trap them (and set them free far into the
country).
He baited them with catfood! Also, had possums...no skunks yet..thank
goodness! I no longer leave food out at night for the stray cats. If they
dont come by dark to eat, then they have to wait til morning.

studio wrote:
Also besides all the other things that previous posters have
mentioned, cat food
is not good for raccoon's or skunk's anyway.

Yes Barb, raccoon's absolutely love cat food, but it's not good for
them
if they eat it on a daily basis, and especially not good if it's their
main diet.
It's like baiting a kid with a twinkie. But if the kid eat's nothing
but Twinkies,
the kid won't have a long life.

Yes, and just like kids, they dont know that either ;-)

Old June 30th 06, 05:00 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Terry

Kiran, you have seen to many Disney movies.

Old July 26th 06, 05:57 PM posted to alt.cats,alt.pets.cats,rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Lee Hirt

On 27 Jun 2006 23:24:40 -0700, "-L." wrote:

Kiran wrote:
I have a cat but this is not about her, it is about a group of raccoons
(one adult and five children). They have been spotted sniffing around
our and our neighbors' yards and porchces this summer, mostly late
nights.

General consensus on the street is to have no food or food smells that
will attract them, and I would certainly not want to leave a trash bag
out that for them to rip apart and make a mess.

However --- and having grown up in urban areas, I have no experience
with raccoons --- part of me says they too are living creatures, hungry
and looking for food, shouldn't I leave some out for them too? It
bothers my heart that I am throwing food away they could have eaten.

I do realize it is a pack of six, not one little cute pet. I also don't
want any potential harm to my kids, my cat, my neighbor kids and cats.
(There is a Black Lab next door who I am sure can look after himself!)

So if you know raccoons, would you feed them in this situation? If so,
when and where would you leave the food?

Not in an urban or suburban setting. If you lived in the country, I'd
say yes. They're simply too close to people, which isn't a good thing
for anything wild.

I know this is an old post, but I simply had to respond. NEVER, EVER
feed raccoons regardless whether the setting urban or country! I know
they are cute, but they are also a major pest when they become
attached to your property. With their little hands they can open just
about anything they set their minds to. I heard more than one story
about people coming home to find a family of raccoons have moved in.

In addition they can be very vicious, develop a territorial attitude
which may lead to home invasion, and can carry rabies.

But just as important, when you feed a wild animal, it loses its fear
of humans and it needs that fear to survive long term. Always
remember that the next human the raccoon sees may hate them and try to
kill it.
Old July 27th 06, 05:56 PM posted to alt.cats,alt.pets.cats,rec.pets.cats.health+behav
-L.

Lee Hirt wrote:
I know this is an old post, but I simply had to respond. NEVER, EVER
feed raccoons regardless whether the setting urban or country! I know
they are cute, but they are also a major pest when they become
attached to your property. With their little hands they can open just
about anything they set their minds to. I heard more than one story
about people coming home to find a family of raccoons have moved in.

So what? My Mom fed the coons and possums in her neighborhood from
1969-2001. Every day, every season. The neighborhood embraced the
wildlife there and looked after it.

In addition they can be very vicious,

Yeah, the coons my Mom fed were so vicious they ate right along with
the cats - sometimes from the same bowls....

develop a territorial attitude
which may lead to home invasion, and can carry rabies.

Incidence of rabies in raccoons is relatively low. besides, I didn;t
say pet them - I said feed them.

But just as important, when you feed a wild animal, it loses its fear
of humans and it needs that fear to survive long term. Always
remember that the next human the raccoon sees may hate them and try to
kill it.

Like I said, it depends on where you live. If you are in a rural
setting, it's probably less impactful to feed them. In an urban
setting, I agree with you.

-L.

Old July 27th 06, 10:15 PM posted to alt.cats,alt.pets.cats,rec.pets.cats.health+behav
-L.

Upscale wrote:
"-L." wrote in message

Incidence of rabies in raccoons is relatively low. besides, I didn;t
say pet them - I said feed them.

Either you're not too bright or you're not very well informed. Which one is
it?

Raccoons are only responsible for 37% of the reported cases of animals
having rabies. This has increased dramatically in the last 10 years.
In 2001 (latest data) there were roughly 4700 cases of animal rabies
and ZERO cases reported in humans. If you do not go outside when
racoons are around and if your companion animals are vaccinated, your
chances of contracting rabies is zero.

-L.

Old July 27th 06, 10:39 PM posted to alt.cats,alt.pets.cats,rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Upscale

"-L." wrote in message
Incidence of rabies in raccoons is relatively low. besides, I didn;t
say pet them - I said feed them.

racoons are around and if your companion animals are vaccinated, your
chances of contracting rabies is zero.

I wasn't replying in regards to rabies. I was replying in regards to feeding
them. They're vicious, hard to get rid of, extremely destructive animals.
I'd put them on part with rats and just as deserving to be eliminated,
probably even more so because many people like you don't see them as any
sort of serious threat.

I've seen raccoons cause thousands of dollars of damage to houses, lower
property values and be an enormous nuisance. We're not talking about pets
here, we're talking about wild animals without any redeeming social value
whatsoever when it comes to their interaction with humans.

Old July 27th 06, 11:01 PM posted to alt.cats,alt.pets.cats,rec.pets.cats.health+behav
-L.

Upscale wrote:

I wasn't replying in regards to rabies. I was replying in regards to feeding
them. They're vicious, hard to get rid of, extremely destructive animals.

Not in my experience.

I'd put them on part with rats and just as deserving to be eliminated,

Well, there ya go. Just kill animals because you find them inconvient,
eh? Ever hear of the concept of "living with nature"?

probably even more so because many people like you don't see them as any
sort of serious threat.

They aren't a serious threat. The biggest threat to humans from
raccoons are bites and rabies - neither of which you can get if you
don't expose yourelf to them.

I've seen raccoons cause thousands of dollars of damage to houses, lower
property values and be an enormous nuisance.

If that's the case, someone wasn't managing their property properly.

We're not talking about pets
here, we're talking about wild animals without any redeeming social value
whatsoever when it comes to their interaction with humans.

Sez you. Another "humans can do whatever the **** they want with
animals because we CAN!" self-righteous moron...

-L.

Old July 27th 06, 11:20 PM posted to alt.cats,alt.pets.cats,rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Upscale

"-L." wrote in message

Not in my experience.

Then you've had limited experience. Yeah, yeah, I know, your mom or someone
you know used to feed them.

Well, there ya go. Just kill animals because you find them inconvenient,
eh? Ever hear of the concept of "living with nature"?

In or on the outskirts of large cities, there's very little "living with
nature." You want to blame a growing human presence, fine. Just know that
you're not intelligent enough to "live with nature" and maintain your
current existence with computers and cars and houses with electricity and
all the other things our society currently enjoys.

They aren't a serious threat. The biggest threat to humans from
raccoons are bites and rabies - neither of which you can get if you
don't expose yourelf to them.

If you're feeding them, then you're exposing yourself to them, period. You
can't just feed a couple of racoons and then expect them to move on. They
stay and destroy to get the food that they want. In addition, feeding them
causes them to lose their fear of humanity and then it's even harder to deal
with them.

If that's the case, someone wasn't managing their property properly.

If a family of raccoons starts hanging around your house because you fed
them, how *exactly* would you manage your property? I know, you'd pay
several hundred dollars to buy traps or have someone else catch them and
then move them. At that point, they would go out and find another house to
terrorize. All you'd be doing is transferring your irresponsibility to some
other unfortunate person or family.

Sez you. Another "humans can do whatever the **** they want with
animals because we CAN!" self-righteous moron...

Well, you answered my initial questions very well. You lack valid knowledge
*AND* you're too stupid to know any better when it comes to racoons.