Unusual Kitten Behavior

Old July 20th 06, 04:13 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
lucy707 via CatKB.com

Default Unusual Kitten Behavior

I have a tabby kitten who will be 11 weeks old this saturday. Before she goes
to sleep, she'll try to nurse on this blanket that I have on my bed. You know,
she'll knead it with her paws and.. suckle on it. It kind of freaks me out. I
know it shouldn't but still. I wonder why would she be doing this? Should I
just chuck it? (the blanket not the cat.) Or what could I do to make her stop?
It makes me feel kind of guilty, like I took her away from her mother and she
misses her. (I got her when she was 7 weeks old.) Anyway. Any advice? Thanks!

Old July 20th 06, 04:15 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
lucy707 via CatKB.com

By the way: this hasn't just recently started up. She's been doing it for a
few weeks now. I just now got around to asking about it!

Old July 20th 06, 04:18 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Matthew

it is a thing kittens and cats do they will do it all their life maybe as
long as it is not a fuzzy towel where if the suckle that they will ingest
fuzz it is ok

Old July 20th 06, 04:56 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Ryan Robbins

I have a tabby kitten who will be 11 weeks old this saturday. Before she
goes
to sleep, she'll try to nurse on this blanket that I have on my bed. You
know,
she'll knead it with her paws and.. suckle on it. It kind of freaks me
out. I
know it shouldn't but still. I wonder why would she be doing this? Should
just chuck it? (the blanket not the cat.) Or what could I do to make her
stop?
It makes me feel kind of guilty, like I took her away from her mother and
she
misses her. (I got her when she was 7 weeks old.) Anyway. Any advice?
Thanks!

This isn't unusual behavior at all. Some cats do this throughout their life.
My parents had a male cat who would suck and knead his baby blanket every
night, dragging it throughout the house as he went.

Old July 20th 06, 05:25 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
lucy707 via CatKB.com

Ryan Robbins wrote:
I have a tabby kitten who will be 11 weeks old this saturday. Before she
goes

[quoted text clipped - 10 lines]
misses her. (I got her when she was 7 weeks old.) Anyway. Any advice?
Thanks!

This isn't unusual behavior at all. Some cats do this throughout their life.
My parents had a male cat who would suck and knead his baby blanket every
night, dragging it throughout the house as he went.

aw how cute. this blanket is too bigh for her to drag around this house.
thanks for your help!

Old July 20th 06, 12:56 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Wendy

I have a tabby kitten who will be 11 weeks old this saturday. Before she
goes
to sleep, she'll try to nurse on this blanket that I have on my bed. You
know,
she'll knead it with her paws and.. suckle on it. It kind of freaks me
out. I
know it shouldn't but still. I wonder why would she be doing this? Should
just chuck it? (the blanket not the cat.) Or what could I do to make her
stop?
It makes me feel kind of guilty, like I took her away from her mother and
she
misses her. (I got her when she was 7 weeks old.) Anyway. Any advice?
Thanks!

Some cats are just blanket suckers. My formerly bottle fed cat will knead me
every time he jumps into my lap. He also kneads the bedding at night and
drools. Who's to figure cats.

She may do less of this as she gets older but I wouldn't be alarmed if she
keeps it up her whole life.

Old July 21st 06, 12:43 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
[email protected]

my blue point Siamese does "the sucky thing" too but she does it on the
inside of my elbow and kneads my arms! I've always got little hickeys
on my arm. Plus it tickles!

Old July 22nd 06, 07:43 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
lucy707 via CatKB.com

well i'm glad to know that this isn't abnormal behavior. i was worried that
maybe the people who had her and her siblings just abruptly gave them away
without bothering to ween them or something, or that she was missing her
mother. (which REALLY made me feel guilty.) it wasn't the actual suckling
that bothered me. it was my conscience, you know. thanks for the help!