The Stray Kitty. (VERY LONG)

Old November 7th 03, 07:25 AM
Flippy

Default The Stray Kitty. (VERY LONG)

Meet Jetson. He is a stray kitty.

A few months ago he started hanging around. He is a male, shorthair, mainly
white with tabby markings. I guess the three lovely girl kitties and one
handsome boy kitty that live here attracted him. We didn't want him to be
called "the stray kitty", so we tentatively named him Jetson.

Although Jetson appears to be a stray he doesn't look starved. Nevertheless
I took a bowl outside and started feeding him regularly. Fresh water is
always on hand.

One night Jetson was sitting on the outside of the window, which sent Chloe
into hysterics, so I sprayed him with water. Another time I heard two cats
(not mine) fighting outside, and so I stepped out to assess the situation.
Jetson and another white & black cat were fighting and so I shooed the both
of them away. As the white & black cat ran away Jetson looked on with an
expression of satisfaction on his face - "Yeah, you shooed away the
intruder. ". I think that this was the turning point for Jetson; he
obviously thought that this was his "territory".

On most days I let my four kitties go out into the backyard for a supervised
play. During this time the back door remains open so that they can come in
when they want to. It was during one of these times that Jetson decided to
come indoors to inspect the living conditions in the house. I guess he was
impressed because I found him sleeping on the bed. The next day he came
inside and curled up to sleep on the bed again. Mia and I decided that if he
was going to spend time inside, he should have a bath (he was VERY dusty),
and he should be de-wormed and de-flea-ed.

A week later I printed flyers and hand-delivered them to about 30 houses in
our immediate neighborhood. I contacted local Rescue organizations and the
local vet to report that we had found a "stray". Ten minutes later the local
vet called, telling us that a month earlier someone had reported a lost cat.
Their description fit Jetson. The vet gave our phone number to the lady
whose granddaughter had lost her cat, and the lady called us immediately.
She lives about 15 houses away from us and she said that her granddaughter
was inconsolable after losing her kitty. I felt sad that we were going to
lose Jetson, but at the same time I was happy that Jetson would have such a
devoted family. The lady arrived two minutes later with her granddaughter. I
picked Jetson up off the bed and kissed him, said goodbye, then carried him
to the front door. They took one look at him and immediately said "That's
NOT our cat!" What a pity. After seeing the little girl I really wished that
Jetson WERE their cat. On the other hand, I felt relieved that we got to
keep Jetson a little longer.

One week passed and nobody had claimed Jetson. We kept feeding him, but by
now we gave him his own cat-bowl inside. He tried desperately to fit in with
the cats already living here. The other cats would hiss at him and bop him
on the head, but he is such a gentle cat that he would not hit them back.
Instead, he would literally "turn the other cheek" by slowly turning around
and walking away. And so the other cats got used to him very quickly. Jetson
also started spending some nights inside. One afternoon I even caught him
sleeping on the sofa between Juliet and Chloe!

And so we come to the romantic part of this story - Jetson fell in Love -
with Tiffy! Every time he saw Tiffy on the bed he would jump onto the bed
also and try to touch noses with her. He also tried to groom her!! Of
course, Tiffy wanted absolutely NO part of this unseemly behaviour. Tiffy
would hiss and scream at his attempts to snuggle with her. But being such a
gentle cat, Jetson would just ignore her reaction then sneakily sit two
inches away from her. After a while he would veeeery slowly reach his paw
out to touch her. Sometimes she would let him, sometimes not. Mia and I
discussed how good Jetson is for Tiffy. We are hoping that he will teach her
to be more tolerant towards other cats. Mia has tried to give Jetson some
helpful advice: "Jetson, you have to court Tiffy, you can't just make a
move!" Hehehe.

And so we come to today. This morning Jetson was very eager to go outside to
play, but we didn't let him out as usual. I guess he knew that something was
up when we brought out the cat carrier. He very casually inspected it. I don
't think he's ever been in one before. We carried him out to the car. I don'
t think that he's ever been in a car before either. During the 20-minute
trip he didn't make a sound. What a good kitty! (The other cats meow until
their throats become raspy.)

We arrived at our destination, and waited for our turn at the counter. When
it was our turn we were asked many questions about Jetson, including how old
Jetson is. We replied that we don't know his age because he is a stray. We
told the workers that Jetson had been de-wormed and de-flea-ed. Misty-eyed,
we said goodbye and surrendered him to the kind lady. She took Jetson into
the back, and then returned with our cat carrier. Mia and I were very sad to
leave. We would miss Jetson terribly. We have been thinking about him all
day.

But now it is 5pm and time to call the Animal Hospital to see if Jetson is
ready. You see, today Jetson was to be neutered and vaccinated. Mia and I
had discussed the situation, and we decided that if Jetson was going to live
with us, he just HAD to be vaccinated and desexed. :-)

Jetson is not a "stray" anymore. He is "our" cat now.

By Flippy
Friday, November 7, 2003.
My website: http://www.flippyscatpage.com

PS: Pictures coming next week.

Old November 7th 03, 09:51 AM
Flippy

PS: It's now after 7pm and Jetson is home now. He had something to eat and
drink, and now he is sleeping. (but not before he sprayed the laundry!)

Old November 7th 03, 10:14 AM
John Biltz

On Fri, 7 Nov 2003 0:51:49 -0800, Flippy wrote
(in message ):

PS: It's now after 7pm and Jetson is home now. He had something to eat and
drink, and now he is sleeping. (but not before he sprayed the laundry!)

Well you didn't expect to get away with that for free did you. Congrats
on your new kitty.

Old November 7th 03, 10:44 AM
Flippy

"John Biltz" wrote in message ...
On Fri, 7 Nov 2003 0:51:49 -0800, Flippy wrote
PS: It's now after 7pm and Jetson is home now. He had something to eat

and
drink, and now he is sleeping. (but not before he sprayed the laundry!)

Well you didn't expect to get away with that for free did you.

LOL! No, I guess not. How silly of me to assume... :-)

Congrats on your new kitty.

Thank you.

Flippy in Melbourne, Australia.
My Cats: http://www.flippyscatpage.com

Old November 7th 03, 10:54 AM
Yowie

"Flippy" wrote in message
.. .
[...]

Awww, I love a happy ending. Congratulations Jetson for finding such a
wonderful foreverhome, and congratulations Mia & Flippy for being such good
and generous slaves.

Yowie

Old November 7th 03, 11:03 AM
Tish S

Oh WOW! Congratulations Jetson and welcome to the best kitty palace
in Melbourne! Flippy, you and Mia are the *best*! Thank you for
taking in this little boy!

Hugs,
Tish

"Flippy" wrote in message ...
Meet Jetson. He is a stray kitty.

[regretfully snipped]
Old November 7th 03, 01:29 PM
Karen

in article , Flippy at
wrote on 11/7/03 12:25 AM:

[...]

Wow!!! That's great! I hope Tiffy comes to like him. She needs a buddy to
teach life is not all bad. Congrats!!!

Karen

Old November 7th 03, 02:07 PM
MaryL

"Flippy" wrote in message
.. .
Meet Jetson. He is a stray kitty.

Jetson is not a "stray" anymore. He is "our" cat now.

By Flippy
Friday, November 7, 2003.
My website: http://www.flippyscatpage.com

Great story! And I love Jetson's name.

MaryL

Old November 7th 03, 02:57 PM
Sherry

You guys are just the best. Lucky, lucky Jetson.

Sherry
Old November 7th 03, 03:15 PM
Marina

"Flippy" wrote
Meet Jetson.

Lovely story, Flippy! Thanks for sharing it, and thanks for sharing your
home with Jetson. What an excellent name! When will we see pictures of him?

--
Marina, Frank and Nikki