Need advice on first aid for cuts

Old April 10th 05, 02:02 PM
Henry

Default Need advice on first aid for cuts

In trying to cut out severe hair mats from my longhaired cat on
Saturday, even though I thought I had safely inserted a comb under the
mat, I ended up snipping out a chunk of his skin smaller than a dime.
I'm pretty certain it was only the first layer (the hide), and it did
not bleed much. He does not seem distressed about it. I immediately
shaved the area with electric clippers, cleaned it with peroxide and
applied triple antibiotic ointment.

I am wondering: should such a wound be sutured as well, or is it
likely to heal and close up without suturing? I am currently
unemployed and really cannot afford the vet right now. If it needs
suturing, is it something I can do myself with, say, cotton thread and
a regular sewing needle? If so, does anyone have any guidelines?

Henry
St. Louis, MO

Old April 10th 05, 02:16 PM
---MIKE---

This sounded believable until he got to the do-it-yourself suturing.
Now I think he's a troll. Also, if he could shave the area with
clippers, why would he try to cut out the mat?

---MIKE---

Old April 10th 05, 05:35 PM
Smokie Darling (Annie)

---MIKE--- wrote:
This sounded believable until he got to the do-it-yourself suturing.
Now I think he's a troll. Also, if he could shave the area with
clippers, why would he try to cut out the mat?

---MIKE---

Not saying it isn't a troll, but... I've a cat that I have to cut mats
off of, because if her skin comes up, the clippers will cut her badly.
So, I cut out the mats, then "clipper" what I can of the rest of her
fur (before going to the vet for the closer shave).

Smokie Darling (Annie) - she isn't fond of sitting still for the
cutting out of mats either, but we manage.

Old April 10th 05, 05:57 PM

---MIKE--- wrote:
This sounded believable until he got to the do-it-yourself suturing.
Now I think he's a troll. Also, if he could shave the area with
clippers, why would he try to cut out the mat?

---MIKE---

I vote troll. Besides the obvious, someone who cares enough about their
cat to cut out mats, is going to care enough NOT to cause that kind of
pain to it. And even a completete and total idiot wouldn't sincerely
ask the "cotton thread and needle" question. Not to say there aren't
real, live, dolts out there who DO stitch up their own pets' wounds.
There are. But they don't ask how to do it on a cat newsgroup. Troll
bait.

Sherry

Old April 10th 05, 08:57 PM
Mathew Kagis

wrote in message

SNIP

I vote troll. Besides the obvious, someone who cares enough about their
cat to cut out mats, is going to care enough NOT to cause that kind of
pain to it. And even a completete and total idiot wouldn't sincerely
ask the "cotton thread and needle" question. Not to say there aren't
real, live, dolts out there who DO stitch up their own pets' wounds.
There are. But they don't ask how to do it on a cat newsgroup. Troll
bait.

Sherry

Well, in case it is'nt a troll (which I doubt). You can use Calendula (made
into tea) as a topical anti-bioti/ anti-bacterial, just wash it a couple of
times a day & watch the wound for infection, unless it's REAL deep, let it
heal on it's own.
--

Mathew
Butler to 2 kittens: Chablis & Muscat

Old April 11th 05, 12:23 AM
-L.

Henry wrote:
In trying to cut out severe hair mats from my longhaired cat on
Saturday, even though I thought I had safely inserted a comb under

the
mat, I ended up snipping out a chunk of his skin smaller than a dime.

Don't suture your own cat. Keep an eye on the wound. If it begins to
swell or look red, or gets a crusty yellow cap on top, take him to a
vet. If you cannot take him to a vet, call your local HS and ask if
they have any recommendations on how to get him treated at low-cost or
no-cost. You can clean the wound with peroxide or benzalconium
chloride (Bactine makes a sting-free wash that is OTC). And druy it
well. I wouldn't over-dress t with triple antibiotic ointment, as this
can cause anerobic infections under the skin. The wond needs to
"breathe".

Best of luck. If you need more advice, email me.

-L.

Old April 11th 05, 05:47 AM
Henry

This is the first time I posted on this site, and I can't believe the
smug, uncompassionate responses from so many, other than yourself, to
my questions asked in good faith. It certainly discourages any
newcomer from risking any inquiry.

I was afraid I might be mistreating my cat by NOT suturing the wound.
I have known of farmers who sutured wounds on their various farm
animals. The emergency clinic would have cost me over $150, which I
don't have, IF they had to suture the wound, although they said the
wound that I described often does not need suturing. So far the wound
looks good (if a wound can look "good")--none of the signs you
described. Actually, the clinic recommended cleaning the wound with
peroxide, applying Neosporin and keeping an eye on it for the signs you
described. So far, so good.

So, can I expect new skin and hair to grow over the wound eventually?

And just what IS an effective and safe way to remove hair mats? My cat
develops them every winter, and by spring he is miserable with them,
with dry, flaking skin underneath. The last time the vet saw him, he
criticised me for not grooming my cat to get the mats out. My cat is
miserable about combing out the mats. A detangling spray and a comb
with rolling teeth didn't do the trick. My clippers only work on
unmatted fur and have a very difficult time penetrating a mat. And
I've seen the danger of using scissors, even with a comb (seemingly)
underneath.

Henry

Old April 11th 05, 05:51 AM
Henry

Just what the hell do you all mean by a "troll" anyway? I am truly
disappointed by all this smug judgment among what appears to be a
closed clique.

Old April 11th 05, 05:56 AM
Henry

As a matter of fact, there's an ad for Ethicon suture material among
the sponsored links on the margin of this very website. If suturing
material is available there, it seems to imply that users of this news
group might do their own suturing. Otherwise, why would they be
advertising here?

Old April 11th 05, 06:07 AM
Mary

"Henry" wrote in message
oups.com...
Just what the hell do you all mean by a "troll" anyway? I am truly
disappointed by all this smug judgment among what appears to be a
closed clique.

It really is not a closed clique--that I promise you. There are people
who post upsetting things just to get a rise out of cat people. If you
step back and look at your post as objectively as you can you might
see that having someone ask about suturing his own cat appears it
might be one of those.

You need to take the animal to a vet--but you know that. Just do it.