Boots ate dental floss

Old February 8th 04, 10:32 PM
Wendy

Default Boots ate dental floss

Got up this morning to find about 6 - 8" of dental floss hanging out of
Boots' butt. I trimmed all but 1" of it off so it wouldn't snag on anything
and get pulled. Should the rest come out tomorrow when he does his morning
constitutional? Is there anything I should give him to help it on it's way?
How long should I wait for the rest to pass before taking him to the vet?

Old February 8th 04, 10:44 PM
Sherry

Got up this morning to find about 6 - 8" of dental floss hanging out of
Boots' butt. I trimmed all but 1" of it off so it wouldn't snag on anything
and get pulled. Should the rest come out tomorrow when he does his morning
constitutional? Is there anything I should give him to help it on it's way?
How long should I wait for the rest to pass before taking him to the vet?

Gee, Wendy, I hate to just parrot the "See A Vet" mantra, but if it were my
cat, I'd....call the vet today. I'm certainly not an expert, but it seems to me
a length of dental floss could become entwined where it shouldn't and cut into
tissue. Good luck.

Sherry

Old February 8th 04, 10:44 PM
MacCandace

Should the rest come out tomorrow when he does his morning
constitutional? Is there anything I should give him to help it on it's way?
How long should I wait for the rest to pass before taking him to the vet?

Is there a vet you can call today? I would certainly give him petromalt,
laxatone, something like that to move it along.

Candace
(take the litter out before replying by e-mail)

See my cats:
http://photos.yahoo.com/maccandace

"One does not meet oneself until one catches the reflection from an eye other
than human." (Loren Eisely)

Old February 8th 04, 11:28 PM
Wendy

"MacCandace" wrote in message
Should the rest come out tomorrow when he does his morning
constitutional? Is there anything I should give him to help it on it's way?
How long should I wait for the rest to pass before taking him to the vet?

Is there a vet you can call today? I would certainly give him petromalt,
laxatone, something like that to move it along.

I gave him some petromalt this morning.

The only vet available today is the "emergency" vet. I guess I have a lousy
attitude about them after the unpleasant experience I had with them when I
called when our rabbit broke his leg. (them - well how do you know the
rabbit has a broken leg? me - because the leg is just flopping around and
the bone is poking out through the skin. them - well are you sure? - well it
probably isn't a broken leg but bring him in anyway. Later when I get
there - now what makes you think he has a broken leg? show them the rabbit
with leg hanging loosely and bone sticking out of the skin and then they
FINALLY figured I wasn't blind or stupid. They ended up telling me I had to
put him to sleep - over a broken leg)

That said if Boots seems the least bit in distress I will call them tonight
otherwise I'll call our vet first thing tomorrow if it hasn't passed by
then. He should have about another 6" of it to pass.

Old February 8th 04, 11:35 PM
MacCandace

That said if Boots seems the least bit in distress I will call them tonight
otherwise I'll call our vet first thing tomorrow if it hasn't passed by
then. He should have about another 6" of it to pass.

Well, I hope he's okay. I guess I'd give him even more petromalt then. Did
you have the rabbit put to sleep?

Old February 8th 04, 11:53 PM
Mary

Should the rest come out tomorrow when he does his morning
constitutional? Is there anything I should give him to help it on it's way?
How long should I wait for the rest to pass before taking him to the vet?

My cat had 6 inches of tinsel hanging out of his butt. I GENTLY and EASILY
pulled out a foot long piece of tinsel. I never use tinsel. It must have blown
in from the neighbors or something. My cat was fine. I might give your cat a
little mineral oil or petramalt to help ease the passage of the floss. If 6
inches was hanging out of his butt, there's probably only 6 inches in there if
you only use 12 inches. That means it should just be in his colon, rectum and
made it past the rest of his insides. I bet he poops it by tomorrow. Keep him
inside and check his litter box. He may even pull it out himself cleaning.
Hopefully he doesn't swallow it again. Of course you have to hide all floss
from him.