Darn Rogers is dropping Usenet

Old December 4th 05, 04:40 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

Default Darn Rogers is dropping Usenet

I'm sure gonna miss my daily dose of cat newsgroups. 8-(

Old December 4th 05, 04:56 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

Kim wrote:
I'm sure gonna miss my daily dose of cat newsgroups. 8-(

You have two options, Google

http://groups.google.com/group/rec.pets.cats.anecdotes,

which some people find very difficult to use (I'm not one of them).

Or Talk About Pets:

http://www.talkaboutpets.com/group/r...ats.anecdotes/,

either of which will allow you to read all the posts. If you choose to
post, you may want to create a "fake" email on Yahoo as I've done, so
that you don't the spam.

Smokie Darling (Annie)

Old December 4th 05, 04:58 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

Kim wrote:
I'm sure gonna miss my daily dose of cat newsgroups. 8-(

Just sign up for individual.net. It's only 10 euros a year and very
reliable.
--
Britta
"There is no snooze button on a cat who wants breakfast." -- Unknown

Old December 4th 05, 05:15 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

"Kim" wrote in message
.. .
I'm sure gonna miss my daily dose of cat newsgroups. 8-(

Where did you see this?

Old December 4th 05, 05:22 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

"Bill Stock" wrote in message

"Kim" wrote in message
.. .
I'm sure gonna miss my daily dose of cat newsgroups. 8-(

Where did you see this?

Never mind, Googled it. Greedy B*stards.

Old December 4th 05, 11:36 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

Kim wrote:
I'm sure gonna miss my daily dose of cat newsgroups. 8-(

Why not subscribe to www.news.individual.net it only costs 10 euros per
year, less than $1 per month. Even though they only carry text groups and no
binaries, they are very good value.
--
Adrian (Owned by Snoopy and Bagheera)
A House is not a home, without a cat.

Old December 4th 05, 03:19 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

Kim wrote:
I'm sure gonna miss my daily dose of cat newsgroups. 8-(

I use a free newsreader called Xnews, and connect it to
"freenews.netfront.net" to read this group and many many others. It is
very up to date, and new postings appear within seconds. The odd time I
do post, I go to Google groups, using a yahoo account I set up for this
purpose and never read. No costs involved.

Old December 4th 05, 06:48 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

Kim wrote:
I'm sure gonna miss my daily dose of cat newsgroups. 8-(

Oddly enough, I got an e-mail from Newsguy (which I use for
my newsgroups) offering a month free service to Rogers
subscribers. Here's a copy, with the relevant links:

Rogers has announced that it will no longer provide Usenet
services. We're
offering Rogers customers a free month of Newsguy if they
sign up for any
Basic, Extra or Express Newsguy account. If you know anyone
at Rogers
looking for a replacement news service and you refer them to
Newsguy,
you'll receive a 20% referral credit on your account. All
they need to do
is reference your Username or email address when they sign
up. Rogers
customers simply need to indicate their
email address in
the contact field and they'll get their free month.

Full details can be viewed at:

http://newsguy.com/rogers.htm

If you have any questions, please let us know.

Thank you,

Old December 4th 05, 09:45 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

My new ISP provider hasn't fixed its newsgroup server in almost 2 months
despite my calls and mails, so I've found a free newsserver aioe.cjb.net
and it's really good. You can read and post from it.
Best wishes,
Polonca and Soncek

Old December 5th 05, 10:19 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

On Sat, 3 Dec 2005 23:40:23 -0500, Kim said...

I'm sure gonna miss my daily dose of cat newsgroups. 8-(

Hi Kim,

Sorry to hear about the issue with Rogers. Not sure what prompted them to drop
the newsgroups, but in most cases it has to do with the tremendous amount of
traffic that Usenet draws, rather than a lack of activity as they referenced in
their customer announcement.

We've been providing Usenet services since 1992, and we've seen a continued
growth in the community... posts, users, etc... with each passing year.

There are a variety of free and paid Usenet options, so you can still access
your favorite groups. Not sure if a paid alternative would be of interest to
you, but NewsGuy.Com is currently offering a special to displaced Usenet users
at Rogers.

If you purchase any of our Usenet newsgroup accounts, we'll add 1-month of free
service to that account...

http://newsguy.com/rogers.htm

Our members can connect to the newsgroups with their favorite NNTP newsreader
(Agent, Xnews, OE, etc.) or they can use our Web-News interface. The interface
includes a Thumbnail Viewer, BatchDownload manager, and enables members to
download the smaller/decoded version of newsgroup files.

We offer account types with different download capacities (3GB, 15GB, 30GB), and
account fees that are as low as $3.95/month. We also offer a free 2-day trial
that allows visitors to check out the service without any cost or obligation. If
you have questions about any of the above, feel free to email
) or phone us toll-free (1-866-4USENET).

Best regards,

NewsGuy.Com