Cat spay wound infection puss drainage, 10th day, done by 3rd world vet in Peru, help!

Old June 4th 06, 12:06 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav

Default Cat spay wound infection puss drainage, 10th day, done by 3rd world vet in Peru, help!

We took Precious kittie, est. age 8, 9 months to be spayed at a small
vet clinic in Lima, Peru; after the surgery, wound seemed longer than
needed to be able to enter abdomen and remove the uterus and ovaries,
which we were shown after the butcher-like procedure. We were given no
post-op instructions, just that the cat wouldnīt be paralyzed, not to
worry about her walking half-paralyzed, dragging hind legs when
anethesia (ketamine) wore off on 2nd day. I had no idea she should have
been kept inside a box or cage, as to not move. An injection was given,
said it was an antibiotic. Precious kittie, didnīt complain much, she
mostly slept during the first 6 days. She was allowed to move about and
used her litter box normally. She seems like a fighter! We were
supposed to come back to have external stitches removed on the 7th day,
but on the 6th day, Precious kittie ended up with a 15cm incision up
from the wound toward her chest after cutting open and cleaning an
infection: a puss bubble. The original spay incision was 7cm long
(which was re-opened to clean the infection) and appeared sewn poorly.
We brought her back again the next day (the 8th day), following the
removal of the puss bubble, she was given another antibiotic im
injection, her wound was washed with soapy water, and then she seemed
fine. We were sold a small tube of Nutri-cal for $38 (seems expensive;
the whole procedure seems wrong, but what can I do here, in the 3rd
world, things are not honest, their licenses arenīt real, nobody
cares, not the police, they are kidnappers..anyway...) and we were told
not to feed cat food, which I donīt agree. Kittie has been eating
light and drinking water, however she hasnīt defecated today, only
urinated. The wound seems to have puss drainage, no blood. We are
cleaning it 2x daily. Kittie sleeps and moews happily, she responds to
food and we use Nurti-cal to get her to swallow antibiotic pills. We
were given a single tab of Floxocil, divided up in 7 tiny pieces to
give one daily with the Nutri-cal, is this enough? Kittie is wearing a
surgical collar with plastic mask, so she won't lick wound, which
costed us $20! The spay was $45, not that it matters, but I donīt
think it was a real schooled vet. I feel so terrible watching Precious
suffer in a box. I need help, any professional, authentic,
knowledgeable advice?

Old June 4th 06, 12:25 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav,alt.med.veterinary

"angela l" wrote in message
oups.com...
We took Precious kittie, est. age 8, 9 months to be spayed at a small
vet clinic in Lima, Peru;

.......she needs to find another vet. Lima is not a small town, I'm sure
there's other vet help available. I had a dog spayed once in Mexico and it
was the best job of stitching I'd ever seen with zero complications, so
don't assume because you're in Peru that good help can't be found.

buglady
take out the dog before replying

Old June 4th 06, 05:01 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav,alt.med.veterinary

......she needs to find another vet. Lima is not a small town, I'm sure
there's other vet help available. I had a dog spayed once in Mexico and
it
was the best job of stitching I'd ever seen with zero complications, so
don't assume because you're in Peru that good help can't be found.

And there are two veterinary schools. Vet schools in the states have
clinics. Can't imagine they wouldn't in Peru. One in San marcos:

http://veterinaria.unmsm.edu.pe/

....and one in Lima:

http://www.ucsur.edu.pe/facultades/veterinaria.asp

Old June 6th 06, 04:11 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav,alt.med.veterinary

buglady wrote:
"angela l" wrote in message
oups.com...
We took Precious kittie, est. age 8, 9 months to be spayed at a small
vet clinic in Lima, Peru;

......she needs to find another vet. Lima is not a small town, I'm sure
there's other vet help available. I had a dog spayed once in Mexico and it
was the best job of stitching I'd ever seen with zero complications, so
don't assume because you're in Peru that good help can't be found.

buglady
take out the dog before replying

Thank you for reading my post and for your kind concern, however,
Mexico is the 2nd world; Peru is the 3rd world. When tourists come here
like I did the first time 5 years ago, it appears to be a nice place. I
have beeen here for so long and learned I cannot even report this, as
there are no regulations. Turns out that woman, pretending to be a vet,
renting an old clinic and selling pet products, performs surgery under
a guise. After we had a new vet see Kittie, we learned the subcutaneo
was sewn, used fishingline, which explains the infection. She had
re-bobined a spool that said "surgical" with fishingline. Getting the
police involved would mean they extort more money from me, which is how
the law works here, hostage style, no kidding. On the bright side, I
did find a trained vet, a friend, with a private home visit-based
practice. He even told me here in Peru, the clinics are all about
harming animals, for the purpose of extorting money. Hospitals and even
banks here in Peru are run like a circus. The people are even treated
like animals, forced to cram 20 passengers into a 8 passenger van with
really bad exhaust and that is their only public transportation system.
Donīt get me wrong I love Peru, but I cannot trust the people. I just
hope Kittie makes it; letīs pray!

Old June 6th 06, 04:24 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav,alt.med.veterinary

Thank you for your time and concern, but those arenīt even real (vet)
schools here in Peru, just another group of people doing business in
order to take advantage of the poor and ignorant; they are set up to
make money under false pretenses. Anybody can pose as a college
professor, a lawyer, a doctor, etc. For the lack of open mindedness
(because in Peru the mindset is all about tradition and that is
mimicking what someone else did, and doing it very poorly) and lack of
education, they have very outdated practices. You have no idea how poor
people live in other countries till you travel as a non-tourist and
actually live there. Sorry for going on about this.

Old June 6th 06, 04:36 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav

Update, found a real vet who works home-visit style because the clinics
are simply aweful places where they harm amimals in order to extort
money. Found the subcutaneo layer was sewn with fishingline (by that
butcher pretending to be a vet, which explains the infection). Tomorrow
this new doctor is coming to my house in the morning to see if the
(real) antibiotic is working and will have to re-suture everything, no
cost spared. Based on my limited knowledge, it seems the antibiotic
(injections given during 3 days) has to work to clear the infection as
to allow tissues to be sutured with special surgical supplies,
dissolvable stitches. If anyone has any ideas or advice, please send
comments.

Old June 6th 06, 04:38 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav,alt.med.veterinary

"angela l"

After we had a new vet see Kittie, we learned the subcutaneo
was sewn, used fishingline, which explains the infection. She had
re-bobined a spool that said "surgical" with fishingline. Getting the
police involved would mean they extort more money from me, which is how
the law works here, hostage style, no kidding. On the bright side, I
did find a trained vet, a friend, with a private home visit-based
practice. [...] Donīt get me wrong I love Peru, but I cannot trust the
people. I just
hope Kittie makes it; letīs pray!

What did the new vet say? I am so glad you got her seen by a real vet.
How does kitty seem?

Old June 6th 06, 05:00 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav

"angela l" wrote in message
oups.com...
Update, found a real vet who works home-visit style because the clinics
are simply aweful places where they harm amimals in order to extort
money. Found the subcutaneo layer was sewn with fishingline (by that
butcher pretending to be a vet, which explains the infection). Tomorrow
this new doctor is coming to my house in the morning to see if the
(real) antibiotic is working and will have to re-suture everything, no
cost spared. Based on my limited knowledge, it seems the antibiotic
(injections given during 3 days) has to work to clear the infection as
to allow tissues to be sutured with special surgical supplies,
dissolvable stitches.

I hope the best for your kitty, I'm so glad you're taking such
good care of her. Peru sounds like a tough place to get good
vet care and that is a shame.

Old June 6th 06, 05:30 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav,alt.med.veterinary

You have no idea how poor
people live in other countries till you travel as a non-tourist and
actually live there.

Been there, done that. :-) Totally understand. Was just trying to give you
some sort of direction to go in. I encourage you to read the following
experience some North American veterinarians had in Peru:

http://www.usask.ca/wcvm/globalvets/...urney/lima.php

Especially check out the organization, Amigos de los Animales
http://www.anaaweb.org/ . Copied:

"We were all given the opportunity to work for at least one day with a
non-profit volunteer based organization called Amigos de los Animales. The
majority of their funding is provided by the World Society for the
Protection of Animals (WSPA) and by other donations. Amigos de los Animales
provides free veterinary care for abused and stray animals as well as for
people who cannot afford to treat, neuter or spay their animals."

The students stated that there are 14 veterinary colleges in Peru. Although
it seems that they may not be on par with a Cornell or Penn, I can't imagine
they're all crooked (and I speak as someone who has visited such countries
and their schools). The American Veterinary Medical Association lists the
following as having vet schools in Peru: Cajamarca, Chicayo, Chincha Alta,
Lima, Puno.

Sorry for going on about this.

That's OK. Hope all gets better.