Update from Julie and Sam

Old September 19th 06, 06:58 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Julie and Sam

Default Update from Julie and Sam

Thank you all for your purrs and well wishes. As usual they seem to be
helping. It appears that my brother will not suffer from liver damage
and the doctors hope to be able to transfer him tomorrow. He'll be
coming to the hospital where I work so I'll be better able to keep an
eye on him.

Sam's news isn't quite as good although he is breathing better today and
had a fairly good night. He had to have a couple of doses of albuterol
during the night but he didn't require oxygen. I picked him up from the
Emergency Vet this morning (they close at 8:30 a.m.) and we transferred
him to his regular vet to spend the day where they'll just keep an eye
on his breathing. We'll be able to make sure he's ok to be alone during
the day while we're at work. We're no closer to determining what to do
about the tumor. On his x-rays in January 2005 this looked like a
calcification about the size of a marble. The x-rays yesterday revealed
a tumor about 3" ( 7 cm)in diameter. The vet is concerned about even
putting him under long enough to take a biopsy. When I left this
morning we had about decided to get his asthma under control, take
another x-ray in 6 weeks and then consider a biopsy. The questions that
have to be answered a 1) can he survive anesthesia long enough to get
the biopsy; 2) if it is cancer what are we going to do about it - the
chances of him surviving anesthesia administered for surgery of that
nature are very slim. 3) So is it really worth the risk to learn what
we're pretty sure we already know.

I'm sure this will all work itself out in the coming weeks. I just wish
there was an easier way. As the vet said last night, however, "Sam
doesn't know that Sam has a tumor". As far as we're concerned, whatever
we decide to do, as long as Sam's quality of life is good, then we'll
help him fight. Again, thank you all for your purrs. They mean so very
much.

Julie and Sam

Old September 19th 06, 07:43 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Jo Firey

"Julie and Sam" wrote in message
[...]

Hope his own vet can get him settled and breathing better. It is hard to
not go after information you could get, but it sounds like you already know
that going after the biopsy really won't make a difference in his treatment.
Especially as it would be hard on him and he is already stressed. There
does come a time when quality of life and fight are mutually exclusive.

I know how hard this can be. Purrs that you still have some good quality
time together.

Sometimes the last few weeks with mine have been especially sweet even when
I've known they were the last few weeks. I've been lucky to be able to take
the time to sit and hold them and love them and tell them a proper good-by.

Jo

Old September 19th 06, 07:48 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Julie and Sam

Jo Firey wrote:

Hope his own vet can get him settled and breathing better. It is hard to
not go after information you could get, but it sounds like you already know
that going after the biopsy really won't make a difference in his treatment.
Especially as it would be hard on him and he is already stressed. There
does come a time when quality of life and fight are mutually exclusive.

I know how hard this can be. Purrs that you still have some good quality
time together.

Sometimes the last few weeks with mine have been especially sweet even when
I've known they were the last few weeks. I've been lucky to be able to take
the time to sit and hold them and love them and tell them a proper good-by.

Jo

One of the reasons that I've not been online a lot recently is that
whenever I sit down with my laptop Sam takes over my lap. Then Barnabus
sits on the right arm of the loveseat and all of a sudden I don't have a
way to type or a place to put my laptop. In the long run, I'd rather
have the memories of having Sam cuddle with me, I'm sure everyone knows
we're sending purrs when needed and will understand.

Julie

Old September 20th 06, 01:13 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Victor Martinez

Julie and Sam wrote:
I'm sure this will all work itself out in the coming weeks. I just wish
there was an easier way. As the vet said last night, however, "Sam
doesn't know that Sam has a tumor". As far as we're concerned, whatever
we decide to do, as long as Sam's quality of life is good, then we'll
help him fight. Again, thank you all for your purrs. They mean so very
much.

Can they do a biopsy with local anesthetic? I know it's probably
difficult, but it certainly beats having to be put under general anesthesia.

I'm glad your brother doesn't have permanent damage to his liver. Purrs
for a complete recover from his depression.

--
Victor M. Martinez
Send your spam he

Old September 20th 06, 04:19 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Julie and Sam

"Victor Martinez" wrote in message
Julie and Sam wrote:
I'm sure this will all work itself out in the coming weeks. I just wish
there was an easier way. As the vet said last night, however, "Sam
doesn't know that Sam has a tumor". As far as we're concerned, whatever
we decide to do, as long as Sam's quality of life is good, then we'll
help him fight. Again, thank you all for your purrs. They mean so very
much.

Can they do a biopsy with local anesthetic? I know it's probably
difficult, but it certainly beats having to be put under general
anesthesia.

I'm glad your brother doesn't have permanent damage to his liver. Purrs
for a complete recover from his depression.

Thank you Victor and everyone for the purrs for my family. When I picked
Sam up from the vet tonight we discussed options. The vet clinic has three
vets and they discussed Sam's x-rays and situation and they're unsure that
his tumor is a tumor. They feel that if this has been going on for 1 1/2
years that ...well, that Sam wouldn't be alive. Therefore, they are
referring Sam to a specialty clinic where we're going to let one of the
surgeons review the x-rays and exam Sam and see what they suggest. So I'll
call tomorrow and get an appointment as soon as possible. In the meantime,
Sam is resting well and breathing slowly and deeply and he's very happy to
be home.

Julie

Old September 20th 06, 04:21 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Sam

Julie and Sam wrote:
[...]

And the purrs for Sam continue. Excellent news on your brother.
Continuing purrs for his recovery, physical and psychological.

--
Sam, closely supervised by Mistletoe
Old September 20th 06, 05:16 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Marina

Julie and Sam wrote:
[...]

I'm glad to hear the good news about your brother, but sorry about the
bleak prognosis for Sam. We will be purring hard for him, and for the
tumour to stop growing.

Old September 20th 06, 07:03 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
tension_on_the_wire

Julie and Sam wrote:
Thank you Victor and everyone for the purrs for my family. When I picked
Sam up from the vet tonight we discussed options. The vet clinic has three
vets and they discussed Sam's x-rays and situation and they're unsure that
his tumor is a tumor. They feel that if this has been going on for 1 1/2
years that ...well, that Sam wouldn't be alive. Therefore, they are
referring Sam to a specialty clinic where we're going to let one of the
surgeons review the x-rays and exam Sam and see what they suggest. So I'll
call tomorrow and get an appointment as soon as possible. In the meantime,
Sam is resting well and breathing slowly and deeply and he's very happy to
be home.

Julie

Best of luck at the clinic tomorrow. If it is not a tumour, you might
possibly be looking at a reprieve? We can only hope (and purr).

I am truly very sorry about the condition your brother is in. I know
that you are all breathing a sigh of relief that he was unsuccessful,
but bear in mind that he might not be relieved at all. Do keep in mind
(cruel as it may sound) that if you cannot get his cooperation to seek
treatment, you would be justified in trying to save his life by having
him committed for a short time, for full psyche evaluation. At least
long enough to give him time to think before going out there
unsupervised again. I have some experience in this area, and you are
more than welcome to e-mail me if you want to discuss it in more detail
without violating his confidence & privacy.

Purrs & prayers for your whole family with any number of legs...

--tension/luthien/muezza.glorio

Old September 20th 06, 07:02 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
[email protected]

On Tue, 19 Sep 2006 13:58:35 -0400, Julie and Sam
wrote:

[...]

Continuing purrs from here. I have two asthmatic cats, and lost
another last year to lymphoma, so you have my sympathies. And the
same with your brother; I understand what he is going through, as well
as what you are. Purrs that all will be well soon.

Ginger-lyn

Home Pages:
http://www.moonsummer.com
Animals in Movies Website)
Old September 20th 06, 09:45 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Norm

Julie and Sam wrote:

[...]

Belated purrs from all the denizens here.

--
"In 2005, the refining margin...has exceeded $20 per barrel, far above
the long-term average of $6. That has meant record profits for oil