Why dropping toys in water bowl?

Old February 6th 09, 12:45 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Mike[_4_]

Default Why dropping toys in water bowl?

I found some little, fur mice my newly adopted 6 mo cats (one male, one
female) love but I've found them more than once in their water bowl. Not
quite sure which one did it but I suspect the female.

This toy is ruined after dunking but my real question is why they might
purposely drop what they think is a mouse in their water bowl.

Mike
Old February 6th 09, 12:51 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
cybercat

"Mike" wrote in message
news
I found some little, fur mice my newly adopted 6 mo cats (one male, one
female) love but I've found them more than once in their water bowl. Not
quite sure which one did it but I suspect the female.

This toy is ruined after dunking but my real question is why they might
purposely drop what they think is a mouse in their water bowl.

They do it for fun. And I bet your cat doesn't think the toy is ruined.

Old February 6th 09, 01:29 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
kraut

On Thu, 5 Feb 2009 19:51:02 -0500, "cybercat"
wrote:

"Mike" wrote in message
news
I found some little, fur mice my newly adopted 6 mo cats (one male, one
female) love but I've found them more than once in their water bowl. Not
quite sure which one did it but I suspect the female.

This toy is ruined after dunking but my real question is why they might
purposely drop what they think is a mouse in their water bowl.

They do it for fun. And I bet your cat doesn't think the toy is ruined.

Mine went through a spell of putting them in the toilet and when they
did they were lust flushed away.

They have not done it lately.

Old February 6th 09, 07:43 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Clara Semps

In article , Mike
wrote:

I found some little, fur mice my newly adopted 6 mo cats (one male, one
female) love but I've found them more than once in their water bowl. Not
quite sure which one did it but I suspect the female.

This toy is ruined after dunking but my real question is why they might
purposely drop what they think is a mouse in their water bowl.

Mike

Could be they're not even doing it on purpose but getting really
rambunctious in their play and it flys into the water bowl. SCORE!
After that, well, they scored, so I guess play is done for the moment.
LOL
Old February 7th 09, 04:58 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
barb

That's so cute! Maybe they just enjoy doing that the way some toddlers
start dropping things out of their high chairs. Try putting the drowned
mice on a sunny window sill and see if you can save them.

Barb

Old February 8th 09, 05:01 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
MaryL

"Mike" wrote in message
news
I found some little, fur mice my newly adopted 6 mo cats (one male, one
female) love but I've found them more than once in their water bowl. Not
quite sure which one did it but I suspect the female.

This toy is ruined after dunking but my real question is why they might
purposely drop what they think is a mouse in their water bowl.

Mike

I had a cat, years ago, that used drop a cactus in his food dish every
night. Yes, a *real* cactus! My mother had a pot with three cacti in it.
One was the type that is round, almost like a ball, and it had fairly long
(and sharp!) spines all around. One morning, I noticed that one of the
cacti was missing. I looked on the floor and was puzzled because I couldn't
figure how it fell out of the bowl and disappeared. Then I started to feed
my cat--and there it was. I picked it up (*very carefully* because it was
sharp) and repotted it. The next morning, it was in the cat's bowl. We
went through that routine many times until the poor cactus finally died.
The really strange thing is that none of the spines were ever broken, and
there was never any injury to my cat's mouth. He obviously picked it up
very gently, and somehow decided that it belonged in his food dish. But it
was never in the water bowl.

MaryL

Old February 10th 09, 10:21 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
yngver

On Feb 5, 6:45 pm, Mike wrote:
I found some little, fur mice my newly adopted 6 mo cats (one male, one
female) love but I've found them more than once in their water bowl. Not
quite sure which one did it but I suspect the female.

This toy is ruined after dunking but my real question is why they might
purposely drop what they think is a mouse in their water bowl.

Mike

One of our cats does that. I have read that it may be derived from the
practice of a predator dropping slaughtered prey into a stream of
water so that he can come back later to get the rest of it, and other
predators won't smell it and come steal it away. Same reason cats
sometimes scratch around the area when presented with food. It's not
that they don't want it, they just don't want it right then and are
trying to cover it with dirt or sand so they can come back later and
eat it when they are hungry enough to consider it, if ever.
-yngver