I have to decide to euthanize my cat

Old September 17th 03, 07:42 PM
kspitfire

Default I have to decide to euthanize my cat

I just got back from my vet a few hours ago who determined that my cat
has a large abdominal tumor, says it's definitely advanced and
combined with other symptoms (loss of appetite - I could only get her
to eat about a tablespoon of wet food this morning - fever and
listlessness) is recommending I have her euthanized. She's a
holistic/homeopathic vet whom I trust, even made an appointment for me
to take her in to a regular veterinary hospital to have some x-rays
done to confirm her diagnosis. I decided to cancel the x-ray
appointment for now because my cat didn't do well on the car ride
home, pooped in her carrying case and then threw up the little bit of
tuna I was able to feed her when we got home.

I'm hesitant for a few reasons - about 7 years ago my now 16 year old
cat was diagnosed with a peritoneal pericesdial diaphragmatic hernia -
a ripped diaphragm which has allowed some of her lower internal organs
to shift into the upper cavity. Everything had solidified and was ok
by the time the vet she had then discovered it, but it was originally
diagnosed as a tumor mass around her heart. She turned out to be fine
and was able to live with it without any problems, and my current vet
knew about it and had seen her before these recent developments. The
vet now is assuring me that my cat is very ill and dying and that I
should have her euthanized, I'm inclined to agree with her except that
my cat's symptoms at home aren't very severe. She has lost weight and
isn't interested much in playing but is still affectionate and doesn't
seem to be in much pain. Her decrease in appetite started about a
week and a half ago.

I'm not sure exactly what I want out of posting here - I don't want to
have her undergo treatment for the tumor, she's lived a long and
healthy life despite what I call her "scrambled egg" condition. She's
also not able to have anethesia due to it - that's how it was
originally discovered, she was given some in order to treat an abcess
but had a severe, painful reaction and almost stopped breathing. I
have a message in to my vet now about that, I'm not sure how that
would effect being able to have her put to sleep... I guess if anyone
has had a cat with this rare condition could offer advice it would be
appreciated.

To top it all off it's coming up on the anniversary of my mother's
death just a few years ago. I helped her go through severe treatments
for two types of cancer and in the end had to decide to take her off
of life support. If we'd known ahead of time how bad off she was I
probably wouldn't have let the doctors run as many tests and wait as
long as we did to let her die. It's a big part of the reason why I
got into holistic medicine and had been taking my cat to an holistic
vet, I really value quality of life over extending it at any cost. I
don't want this to color my decision for my cat though, and of course
there's also cost issues... I think when I end up figuring this out
I'm going to need the money to get into therapy!
Old September 17th 03, 08:15 PM
Charles M

In article , kspitfire wrote:

snip
my cat's symptoms at home aren't very severe. She has lost weight and
isn't interested much in playing but is still affectionate and doesn't
seem to be in much pain. Her decrease in appetite started about a
week and a half ago.

I'ld let her go on then. Actually, I'm a bit bothered by the number of posts
lately where euthanizing seems to be the very first thing suggested. If nothing
else, I'ld get her thoroughly checked out before proceeding, get an opinion
by another vet, etc.

CMM

Old September 18th 03, 03:38 AM
Mary

I guess if anyone
has had a cat with this rare condition could offer advice it would be
appreciated.

My cat had a cancerous stoumach tumor. I took him to the vet and they said he
just had a tummy ache. Next day still vomiting, won't eat, just sitting curled
up. I took him back. They said it's still nothing. That night he collapsed. I
rushed him to the vet. The night shift vet said it was stoumach cancer. We'd
have to wait til morning for the ultrasound. If it was cancer, they suggested
euthanasia as the mass was large and his blood counts were off and he was no
spring chicken anymore. Next morning it was cancer. We agreed to euthanize. We
held him and told him how much we loved him and he left this world purring.

Had I known earlier that it was cancer and he had no hope, I would have called
the vet to my home to euthanize, probably would have done it two days earlier
before he was really in pain. Here's his last story right from this newsgroup
http://www.mary.cc/boots/stories/7.htm