Flushing Clumping Litter

Old July 26th 05, 12:48 AM

Default Flushing Clumping Litter

I'm new to caring for cats. Can I scoop out the waste from a litter box
filled with clumping litter, sift it and flush it? The only litter I'm
flushing is that clinging to the waste. It seems I should be able to,
bit I'm asking as my toilet seems to be clogging a bit from doing that.
Thanks!

Old July 26th 05, 12:59 AM
Trish

wrote in message
oups.com...
I'm new to caring for cats. Can I scoop out the waste from a litter box
filled with clumping litter, sift it and flush it? The only litter I'm
flushing is that clinging to the waste. It seems I should be able to,
bit I'm asking as my toilet seems to be clogging a bit from doing that.
Thanks!

I wouldn't flush clumping litter, seems to me it doesn't break down
properly. But you can buy a flushable litter. I tried it, my cats
protested. Wasn't a pleasant protest either.

Old July 26th 05, 05:10 AM

I would definitely bag the clumps instead of flushing them. Ozzie's
litter box lives in the bathtub, which means we often end up washing
scattered kitty litter down the drain before a shower. And despite
living in a fairly new apartment complex with decent drainage pipes, we
need to call in the plumber 2-3 times a year to unclog the drain.
Although I can't be 100% sure, I'm pretty convinced that the clogs are
due to the clumping cat litter that's regularly being washed down the
drain.

As long as you clean the box fairly regularly, and carefully knot up
the plastic bags with the used litter (we usually use plastic grocery
bags), there shouldn't be too much of a smell, and your sewer pipes
will certainly be much happier.

Cheers,

Adilah

Old July 26th 05, 05:16 AM
whitershadeofpale

mlbriggs wrote:

Only if you like plumbing bills. Best to place in a bag and put it in the
garbage.MLB

I didn't know shy people used a litter box

but...I have city sewer, one big pipe leading to the street...it's
plenty-o-room for some kitty lump.

I'm sure there are worse things flershed. (especially in a city)
All cities are dirty and nasty

Old July 26th 05, 06:39 AM
mlbriggs

On Mon, 25 Jul 2005 21:10:38 -0700, beckyjanekaizerman wrote:

I would definitely bag the clumps instead of flushing them. Ozzie's
litter box lives in the bathtub, which means we often end up washing
scattered kitty litter down the drain before a shower. And despite living
in a fairly new apartment complex with decent drainage pipes, we need to
call in the plumber 2-3 times a year to unclog the drain. Although I can't
be 100% sure, I'm pretty convinced that the clogs are due to the clumping
cat litter that's regularly being washed down the drain.

As long as you clean the box fairly regularly, and carefully knot up the
plastic bags with the used litter (we usually use plastic grocery bags),
there shouldn't be too much of a smell, and your sewer pipes will
certainly be much happier.

Cheers,

Adilah

I put the scooped litter in a plastic veggie bag then store it until the
next scooping in a Folgers coffee can. Those big red cans are handy for
storing things. My garbage is collected three times a week. FYI I keep
the can in the bathroom where her pan is and not in the kitchen. LOL.