OT. Rant

Old November 20th 04, 06:54 AM
Yowie

"Jo Firey" wrote in message

"Yowie" wrote in message

You folks need far better PR (as do decent, peaceloving Muslims)

Yowie

Makes me wonder. Most every nation is subject to some pretty negative
stereotyping. So what did the Aussies and Kiwi's and Canadians do that

they
get a pass?

Well, us Aussies stereotype Kiwis as sheep loving dole bludgers. We know its
not true but we love nothing better than teasing our cousins in our 8th and
9th states from across the "creek". As far as I know (not being a Kiwi),
they say pretty much the very same thing about "the west island", ie,
Australia. Mind you, in the rest of the world, you'll find that Aussies and
Kiwis tend to stick together as we've got far more in common than any other
country. Beer, cricket and rugby, and hot christmases are important to us,
culturally.

As to Canadians... dunno.

Yowie

---

Old November 20th 04, 01:35 PM
Sherry

Well, us Aussies stereotype Kiwis as sheep loving dole bludgers.

LOL! Now it's *my* turn to be confused, Tweed!
What in the *world* is a "dole bludger"?
I had flashbacks to the 1992 presidential campaign.
Sherry

Old November 20th 04, 03:08 PM
Adrian

I think I just saw a black paw being raised. :-)

One belonging to a cat with one eye ;-)

Cheers, helen s

That's the one ;-)
--
Adrian (Owned by Snoopy & Bagheera)
A house is not a home, without a cat.

Old November 20th 04, 05:00 PM
O J

Joyce wrote:

Here's a hilarious letter that someone wrote to Dr. Laura, a talk-show
host in the US who routinely uses the Bible to justify all sorts of
bigotry and hatred. (Actually, I don't know whether she is still on the
air. This letter was written a number of years ago, so maybe she's
already old news.) Apologies if you have already seen this, as I said
it's old, but I thought it was apropos:

---------------------snip----------------------

I suspect that the 'letter' is a spoof, but Dr. Laura is quite real.
She was on radio in the LA market for years -- don't know if she still
is. I'd like to contribute to this thread a send-up of a potential
marriage amendment to the US constitution. It lists six proposed
clauses with the scriptural passages to back them up.

-----------pasted material follows-------------

Marriage Amendment.txt

Fellow Lovers-of-Marriage,

President Bush has been working diligently to prevent marriage between
people of the same sex, backing a constitutional amendment banning gay
marriage, arguing the institution cannot be severed from its
"cultural, religious and natural" roots. "After more than two
centuries of American jurisprudence and millennia of human
experience," he said, "a few judges and local authorities are
presuming to change the most fundamental institution of civilization."

But you and I both know Bush isn't going far enough to return the
institution of marriage to its fundamental roots of two centuries ago!
So I went ahead and drafted up a Constitutional Amendment codifying
all marriages entirely on Biblical principles. After all, God wouldn't
want us to "pick and choose" which of the Scriptures we elevate to
civil law and which we choose to ignore. I bring you:

Draft of a Constitutional Amendment to Defend Biblical Marriage

1. Marriage in the U.S. shall consist of a union between one man and
one or more women.
(Genesis 29:17-28; II Samuel 3:2-5)

Genesis 29:17-28
17 Leah was tender eyed; but Rachel was beautiful and well favoured.
18 And Jacob loved Rachel; and said, I will serve thee seven years for
Rachel thy younger daughter. 19 And Laban said, It is better that I
give her to thee, than that I should give her to another man: abide
with me. 20 And Jacob served seven years for Rachel; and they seemed
unto him but a few days, for the love he had to her. 21 And Jacob said
unto Laban, Give me my wife, for my days are fulfilled, that I may go
in unto her. 22 And Laban gathered together all the men of the place,
and made a feast. 23 And it came to pass in the evening, that he took
Leah his daughter, and brought her to him; and he went in unto her. 24
And Laban gave unto his daughter Leah Zilpah his maid for an handmaid.
25 And it came to pass, that in the morning, behold, it was Leah: and
he said to Laban, What is this thou hast done unto me? did not I serve
with thee for Rachel? wherefore then hast thou beguiled me? 26 And
Laban said, It must not be so done in our country, to give the younger
before the firstborn. 27 Fulfil her week, and we will give thee this
also for the service which thou shalt serve with me yet seven other
years. 28 And Jacob did so, and fulfilled her week: and he gave him
Rachel his daughter to wife also.

II Samuel 3:2-5
2 And unto David were sons born in Hebron: and his firstborn was
Amnon, of Ahinoam the Jezreelitess; 3 And his second, Chileab, of
Abigail the wife of Nabal the Carmelite; and the third, Absalom the
son of Maacah the daughter of Talmai king of Geshur; 4 And the fourth,
Adonijah the son of Haggith; and the fifth, Shephatiah the son of
Abital; 5 And the sixth, Ithream, by Eglah David's wife. These were
born to David in Hebron.

2. Marriage shall not impede a man's right to take concubines in
addition to his wife or wives.
(II Samuel 5:13; I Kings 11:3; II Chronicles 11:21)

II Samuel 5:13
13 And David took him more concubines and wives out of Jerusalem,
after he was come from Hebron: and there were yet sons and daughters
born to David.

I Kings 11:3
3 And he had seven hundred wives, princesses, and three hundred
concubines: and his wives turned away his heart.

II Chronicles 11:21
21 And Rehoboam loved Maachah the daughter of Absalom above all his
wives and his concubines: (for he took eighteen wives, and threescore
concubines; and begat twenty and eight sons, and threescore
daughters.)

3. A marriage shall be considered valid only if the wife is a virgin.
If the wife is not a virgin, she shall be executed.
(Deuteronomy 22:13-21)

Deuteronomy 22:13-21
13 If any man take a wife, and go in unto her, and hate her, 14 And
give occasions of speech against her, and bring up an evil name upon
her, and say, I took this woman, and when I came to her, I found her
not a maid: 15 Then shall the father of the damsel, and her mother,
take and bring forth the tokens of the damsel's virginity unto the
elders of the city in the gate: 16 And the damsel's father shall say
unto the elders, I gave my daughter unto this man to wife, and he
hateth her; 17 And, lo, he hath given occasions of speech against her,
saying, I found not thy daughter a maid; and yet these are the tokens
of my daughter's virginity. And they shall spread the cloth before the
elders of the city. 18 And the elders of that city shall take that man
and chastise him; 19 And they shall amerce him in an hundred shekels
of silver, and give them unto the father of the damsel, because he
hath brought up an evil name upon a virgin of Israel: and she shall be
his wife; he may not put her away all his days. 20 But if this thing
be true, and the tokens of virginity be not found for the damsel: 21
Then they shall bring out the damsel to the door of her father's
house, and the men of her city shall stone her with stones that she
die: because she hath wrought folly in Israel, to play the whore in
her father's house: so shalt thou put evil away from among you.

4. Since marriage is for life, neither the US Constitution nor any
state law shall permit divorce.
(Mark 10:9)

Mark 10:9
9 What therefore God hath joined together, let not man put asunder.

5. If a married man dies without children, his brother must marry the
widow. If the brother refuses to marry the widow, or deliberately does
not give her children, he shall pay a fine of one shoe and be
otherwise punished in a manner to be determined by law.
(Genesis 38:6-10; Deuteronomy 25:5-10)

Genesis 38:6-10
6 And Judah took a wife for Er his firstborn, whose name was Tamar. 7
And Er, Judah's firstborn, was wicked in the sight of the LORD; and
the LORD slew him. 8 And Judah said unto Onan, Go in unto thy
brother's wife, and marry her, and raise up seed to thy brother. 9 And
Onan knew that the seed should not be his; and it came to pass, when
he went in unto his brother's wife, that he spilled it on the ground,
lest that he should give seed to his brother. 10 And the thing which
he did displeased the LORD: wherefore he slew him also.

Deuteronomy 25:5-10
5 If brethren dwell together, and one of them die, and have no child,
the wife of the dead shall not marry without unto a stranger: her
husband's brother shall go in unto her, and take her to him to wife,
and perform the duty of an husband's brother unto her. 6 And it shall
be, that the firstborn which she beareth shall succeed in the name of
his brother which is dead, that his name be not put out of Israel. 7
And if the man like not to take his brother's wife, then let his
brother's wife go up to the gate unto the elders, and say, My
husband's brother refuseth to raise up unto his brother a name in
Israel, he will not perform the duty of my husband's brother. 8 Then
the elders of his city shall call him, and speak unto him: and if he
stand to it, and say, I like not to take her; 9 Then shall his
brother's wife come unto him in the presence of the elders, and loose
his shoe from off his foot, and spit in his face, and shall answer and
say, So shall it be done unto that man that will not build up his
brother's house.

6. In lieu of marriage (if there are no acceptable men to be found), a
woman shall get her father drunk and have sex with him.
(Genesis 19:31-36)

Genesis 19:31-36
31 And the firstborn said unto the younger, Our father is old, and
there is not a man in the earth to come in unto us after the manner of
all the earth: 32 Come, let us make our father drink wine, and we will
lie with him, that we may preserve seed of our father. 33 And they
made their father drink wine that night: and the firstborn went in,
and lay with her father; and he perceived not when she lay down, nor
when she arose. 34 And it came to pass on the morrow, that the
firstborn said unto the younger, Behold, I lay yesternight with my
father: let us make him drink wine this night also; and go thou in,
and lie with him, that we may preserve seed of our father. 35 And they
made their father drink wine that night also: and the younger arose,
and lay with him; and he perceived not when she lay down, nor when she
arose. 36 Thus were both the daughters of Lot with child by their
father.

Let us all pray this helps clarify the bonds of holy matrimony as God,
Himself, intended them.

Amen.

— Brykman

Old November 20th 04, 05:05 PM
CatNipped

"Victor Martinez" wrote in message

Racism and bigotry are never right. Never. They have always been used as
an excuse to opress the minority (and sometimes even a weak majority) by
those in power.
I just told Tom that if his sister and her husband voted for the
anti-gay ammendment in their state's election, then they are not welcome
in our house. I'm sorry, but if you find my relationship so repugnant,
that you would vote to inscribe discrimination in your state's
constitution, then I do not want to welcome you into my house.
As an aside, the bible has been used throughout history to justify and
defend many horrible things, from the crusades to slavery in the US and
the oppresion of women.

How sad that someone your love loves should be that ignorant and intolerant!

{{{{{{{{{{Victor and Tom}}}}}}}}}}

There is far too little love in this cold, cruel world - it should be
celebrated in *whatever* form it comes to us. How can how someone loves
someone else *possibly* take away anything from us???!! Everyone should
have the right to love whomever they want and also the LEGAL right to
healthcare, tax breaks, critical-care visitation, inheritance, etc., etc.,
etc.

Again, how does this harm anyone else - how is it anyone's business what
consenting adults choose to do behind closed door!!!?????

I thought for a while that my son was gay - most of his friends are and,
until he started dating his finance, he never went out with women (I guess
he was just being picky LOL). If he were gay, I could not imagine loving
him any less or wanting anything else for him except to be happy and healthy
and to share his life with whomever brought him joy. I don't understand how
anyone who truly loves someone, friend or relative, could feel any
different.

Hugs,

CatNipped

--