OT. Rant

Old November 21st 04, 11:28 AM

Steve Touchstone wrote:

Recently I was in the checkout line at the supermarket behind a couple
who pulled out an Access card to pay for a few food items. Then the
man pulled out a big wad of cash to pay for a couple cases of beer and
a carton of brand name cigarettes. A little old lady (looked to be in
her 80s) lit into the guy. She pointed out that if he had to smoke he
could probably have paid for those few food items with what he would
save by buying to a cheap brand of cigarettes at a smoke shop.

GRRRR, I hate people who butt into others' lives like that. Why does
she feel the need (or believe she has the right) to lecture a perfect
stranger about his habits and preferences??

My pet peeve, though, are the people who, dripping with self-righteousness,
have to comment on the shopping cart contents of anyone who's a little
fatter than skeletal. "You don't really *need* that, do you dear?" they'll
say, pointing to any high-calorie item. Seriously, there ARE people who
are that rude!

Of course there are people who cheat the system, but the number of people
who do it is grossly exaggerated by people who would prefer we not have
any welfare (our name for "the dole") benefits at all. The way some people
see it, our economy is in ruins because of the hordes of welfare mothers
popping out kids so they can get more money. As though the amount they get
could ever come close to what it costs to feed, clothe and care for a child!
If you want to talk about welfare cheats draining our economy, let's talk
about *corporate* welfare...

Hey, this thread *is* called "Rant."

Joyce
Old November 21st 04, 12:49 PM
dirtylitterboxofferingstospammers

My pet peeve, though, are the people who, dripping with self-righteousness,
have to comment on the shopping cart contents of anyone who's a little
fatter than skeletal. "You don't really *need* that, do you dear?" they'll
say, pointing to any high-calorie item. Seriously, there ARE people who
are that rude!

I am not slim. I am overweight. I am fat. The other week was the cycling club
annual dinner & award ceremony, which I had to be at as I'm racing secretary
and had organised the trophies, engravings, medals and the production of the
programme for the event (my printer had been working overtime, as had I).

Whilst at the dinner, in the middle of the main course, a person told me about
how, if I wanted to stay slim & healthy like him, I should not eat a meal such
as the one on the plate... the fact is, he had exactly the same on his plate as
me, which he was eating... a couple of other people, during the evening, made
comment about how if I want to be healthy, I should be eating A, not eating B,
doing C, not doing D. Did I ask these people for their advice? No, they simply
felt it was perfectly acceptable to tell me how so much better they are than me
with the "If you want to be slim like me..." I resisted the retort of "There
*is* one thing fatter than my arse in this room, and it's your mouth.", but god
knows how. Is my eating anything eating causing them to get cancer due to
"passive eating"??? No. I may not be slim, and I can cycle 100 miles on a bike,
but hey, aren't we fat people supposed to be lazy, good-for-nothing couch
potatoes who do nothing but lie on a sofa all day feeding our faces with
chocolates as we have no sense of self-control or self-worth?? How dare we
inflict ourselves on the outside world!!

BAH!

MInor rant over, normal service is now resumed (until the next rant, anyway)

Cheers, helen s ;-)

**$om $

Old November 21st 04, 01:05 PM
dirtylitterboxofferingstospammers

After reading your posts for several years, I cannot possibly imagine
you'd raise a child to be a bigot. Obviously you had help from Waffles
as well. :-)

Thank you Adrian. Everything I know has been taught to me by Waffles. I am but
a mere hoomin and I bow to Waffles as my superior know-it-all..errr.. fount of
knowledge ;-)

Cheers, helen s

**$om $

Old November 21st 04, 02:27 PM
Victor Martinez

doing C, not doing D. Did I ask these people for their advice? No, they simply
felt it was perfectly acceptable to tell me how so much better they are than me
with the "If you want to be slim like me..." I resisted the retort of "There

That is appaling! How rude can people be? If anybody I don't know
commented on the size of *my* ass they would receive a scathing retort
worthy of censorship by the FCC.

--
Victor Martinez
Send your spam he

Old November 21st 04, 03:10 PM
O J

Helen S. wrote:

---------------------snip----------------------
BAH!

Double BAH!!

I know it's not ladylike to ask someone to step out into the hall to
find out who's still standing to walk back in. It's not gentlemanly
either, but I would have been sorely tempted. I've ridden centuries
and trained on a banked track, but have always had weight trouble and
what those people did was inexcusable. That won't take away the hurt,
but maybe some supportive hugs from someone who's been there will.

((((((((((((( Helen )))))))))))

Regards and Purrs,
O J

Old November 21st 04, 03:36 PM
Sherry

The way some people
see it, our economy is in ruins because of the hordes of welfare mothers
popping out kids so they can get more money. As though the amount they get
could ever come close to what it costs to feed, clothe and care for a child!

I'm not suggesting they have babies just to get on the proverbial government
teat, but Oklahoma is #1 in the union for teenaged/unwed pregnancies. It
probably really *is* a drain on the economy. If I sound bitter about it, it's
because of a select few girls. The WEP program requires they "work" a few hours
a week (we're talking about 6 hours a week) to get their check.So they send
them to nonprofit org's (that they choose,) and they're really just volunteers
kind of. The ones we get at the shelter have no intention of turning a hand.
They want to stand and yap all day, or play with the animals. We try to "teach"
them good work eithics, but it's a lost cause.
At the shelter we get handicapped adults from the Work Activity Center, inmates
from the Work Release Program, offenders who are serving a Community Service
sentence, the WEP mothers. I'd work with the handicapped adults any day than
the WEP mothers. Or even the inmates.
Sherry