Darned Alarm System!

Old January 9th 14, 05:41 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jmcquown[_2_]

Default Darned Alarm System!

Yesterday morning around 10AM my alarm system started wailing. I got up
and entered the code to silence it. Meanwhile, I got a call from the
gate (SOP), is everything okay? Yes, everything is fine. Well, it
seems the system was still sending a trouble signal to the console so
they sent someone over to take a look and reset it. It took him about
10 minutes to get it to reset properly.

The thing is, Persia *knows* if that alarm goes off and the phone rings
immmediately, there will be a knock at the door. A friend discribed
it as 'The Beverly Hillbillies' syndrome... every time they heard that
mysterious "purty music", aka the doorbell, someone would be knocking on
the door. LOL

Anyway, around 3:30AM Persia and I were sound asleep when the alarm went
off again. I got up and punched in the code. The phone rang. As I was
telling the guy there's no fire, no one is hurt, it started wailing
again. Oh come on! I said I don't know what's going on, it did this
yesterday morning, too. As I was saying that it went off yet again.
Grrrr. He said I'm sending someone over to disconnect it so you can get
some sleep. Thank you!

Meanwhile, Persia knew someone would be coming over. So she went and
hid in "her" room.

He disconnected the alarm, although he said he really didn't like doing
it. Too bad. I have enough trouble sleeping without getting up every
time that thing decides to start whooping on a whim. They'll file a
report and have the alarm system guys come out to take a look.

As I was drifting off to sleep again, Persia rejoined me on the bed.
But she remained in alert mode, just waiting for the loud whoop of the
alarm, the phone ringing and that knock on the door again...

Jill
Old January 9th 14, 08:06 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
MaryL[_2_]

"jmcquown" wrote in message ...

[...]

~~~~~~~
That happened to me several years ago. In my case, I needed a new battery
for the backup system. That might be worth checking when maintenance comes
to check yours. I change batteries in various appliances, but I could not
change the big batteries in the security system. That required a
technician. Fortunately, those batteries last a long time.

MaryL

Old January 9th 14, 08:41 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jmcquown[_2_]

On 1/9/2014 2:06 PM, MaryL wrote:

"jmcquown" wrote in message ...

[...]

Oh, I forgot to say, when the guard was here the first time Wednesday
morning he tested the battery. He said it was fine. Besides, I would
recognize the periodic beep it makes when the battery is running low.
I've had to replace it once.

This wasn't at all like a battery warning beep. It was a full scale
alarm. It's extremely loud. There is a horn.

Oh, and I've been informed via the Dataw Net, SCE&G this morning
acknowledged there is a problem with a blown power insulator affecting
this area. That was responsible for power "flickers" and disruption of
some services for a few seconds. My electricity flashed on and off a
few times this morning. But that was hours after my security system had
been disconnected. I'm now wondering if they had other electric
"flickers" which might have triggered my alarm in the middle of the night.

I'll still have the system checked out before reconnecting.

Jill
Old January 9th 14, 09:41 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Bastette

jmcquown wrote:

[...]

I'm sure your neighbors are happy about it, too!

--
Joyce

When you finish, you have a complete (you hope) set of characters. So you call it a "character set". And because you're in a funny mood, instead of calling the numeric identifiers "numeric identifiers", you call them "code points".
-- Steve Ferg, "Unicode Beginners Introduction for Dummies Made Simple"
Old January 10th 14, 12:09 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
MaryL[_2_]

"jmcquown" wrote in message ...

On 1/9/2014 2:06 PM, MaryL wrote:

"jmcquown" wrote in message ...

[...]

~~~~~~~~~
The backup batteries that come with my security system do not make a beeping
sound (quite unlike the batteries with ordinary smoke alarms). The time
mine were activated was when we lost power for 7 days following one of the
hurricanes. Then the batteries caused an unrelenting, piercing screech. It
was almost unbearable, and it was probably much worse for the cats since
they have such sensitive hearing. Luckily, I was able to get someone to
come in and disconnect it until we had power again. As I said earlier, I
can change batteries in most appliances, but these are very large batteries
and require special tools.

MaryL

Old January 10th 14, 05:58 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jmcquown[_2_]

On 1/9/2014 6:09 PM, MaryL wrote:

~~~~~~~
[...]

Wow, I'll bet that was annoying! I'm familiar with the beep noise of
low battery in the security system. Similar, as you said, to a smoke
alarm battery warning. It beeps often enough and loud enough to get on
your nerves.

One time when I was cat-sitting the neighbor's alarm started emitting
that battery beeping sound. It was annoying ME and I wasn't even there
for very long every day. I could only imagine the cats couldn't be
enjoying it much when they were inside, either.

I called the gate and explained she's out of town. They set a time and
I met the guard over there and he swapped out the battery. We *do* have
to pay for the alarm batteries but since it wasn't my house they didn't
ask me to pay for it. I don't think she ever got a bill for the
battery, which, IIRC is about $140.

I could change the battery myself, it's just a couple of plugs in the
control panel, no special tools required. The battery is about 6 inches
square. But since they send a guard over to deliver the battery I
figure they may as well install it, too.

No resolution (or appointment) with the alarm system guy yet. Persia
and I did enjoy a blissful, uninterrupted sleep last night.

Jill
Old January 15th 14, 07:27 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Cheryl[_3_]

On 1/9/2014 11:41 AM, jmcquown wrote:
[...]

That happened to me on my birthday last year and I wasn't even home. My
cell phone alerted me first with a text message then the security
company called and since it was my secondary phone number, they had to
alert the police. I had to leave my dinner party and go home to meet the
police there. And of course, they never showed up. It turned out that
one of the sensors needed a battery replacement.

--
CAPSLOCK–Preventing Login Since 1980.

false alarm Winnie Cat anecdotes 6 July 31st 09 06:39 PM
shock to the system Christina Websell Cat anecdotes 3 June 9th 09 08:47 PM
Fat LesBi system Dry lesbas Cat anecdotes 0 February 20th 07 01:50 PM
They know what the alarm means. Enfilade Cat anecdotes 7 November 24th 05 04:58 AM
My Alarm Cat Jane Cat anecdotes 1 September 29th 05 03:59 PM