Tasteless use of cat in advertising

Old April 13th 04, 06:26 PM
Ryan Robbins

"Mary" wrote in message
om...

"Ryan Robbins" wrote in message
news
Perhaps you could enlighten me on this rule of threes thing. I have

looked
in all of my books and can't find any reference to it.

This is very telling. You have way too much time on your hands.

Why is it "telling"?

Old April 13th 04, 06:29 PM
Ryan Robbins

"Mary" wrote in message
news

"Ryan Robbins" wrote

However, one should use passive voice sparingly.

No, one should write exactly as one pleases as long
as one writes well.

And you can't write well if you use passive voice all of the time. Passive
voice, when used too often, bogs the prose down because there's no action.

It is by far more annoying to me to keep finding
ways to avoid the passive voice than it is to
hear it used too much.

Writing well takes effort.

Old April 13th 04, 06:31 PM
Sherry

Psssttt.... as is ending a sentence with a preposition.

I was trying to be funny. Note the sentence frags too. :P

Yeah, I know! :-) I don't think your post had the dreaded preposition at the
end. It just reminded me of that silly rule. It sounds so stiff. Like, "At whom
is the dog barking?" sounds, well, weird; not like "Who is the dog barking at?"

Sherry

Old April 13th 04, 06:37 PM
Sherry

Do you remember the talking toilet paper
ads? I hated them as much as I hated the ones for
Snuggle Fabric Softener that have that repulsive
giggling bear.

I couldn't resist a big "me, too" here.
That bear is just plain disgusting.

Sherry

Old April 13th 04, 06:55 PM
kaeli

In article ,
enlightened us with...
There is a
huge amount of free will involved.

You're really giving the vast majority of the human race way too

much
credit.

Very true. Do you remember the talking toilet paper

No...
But it sounds kinda funny.

I hated them as much as I hated the ones for
Snuggle Fabric Softener that have that repulsive
giggling bear. Well, I was in a hurry one day and
when I got home from the store I found that I
had bought that brand! There is something
psychologists call the "mere exposure" effect
that means that all you have to be is exposed
with some frequency to the name of a product
in order to become predisposed to buying it.

I wouldn't argue with that, even though I tend to be extremely brand
loyal.

Even if the exposure, such as these stupid
TV ads, just ANNOYS you!

One thing, though - I DESPISE the Quiznos ads with those rat things. I
now hate Quiznos and would never go there.

As to the free will thing - lots and lots of people in this world aren't
all there in the head. They're already predisposed to do bad or stupid
things and a little encouragement is all they really need. Kids are
still imitating that horrid Jackass show, FCOL. To assume people even
have common sense gives people too much credit.
Sure, most of us aren't going to go cutting heads off cats because of a
car ad, but all it takes is one idiot who laughs, says it's really
funny, and decides to try it...and that's just the idiots. Some people
are not just idiots, but truly cruel. I don't even want to go there.

~kaeli~
Doing my part to **** off the Religious Right.
http://www.ipwebdesign.net/wildAtHeart
http://www.ipwebdesign.net/kaelisSpace