Cat tattoos?

Old November 7th 05, 05:31 AM
gravatiaX

Default Cat tattoos?

Hi-
I adopted 2 beautiful brothers from the animal shelter on Sept 29. The
shelter told us that they were 2 yrs old and that they were originally
brought in sometime in Feb 05. Then (not sure when), someone adopted
them, only to return them to the shelter in early Sept. After a
check-up, our vet said that they were probably born in Feburary and
were no more than 9 mths old. I guess you can't always trust them to
keep track of so many animals....
Anyway, tonight we discovered some writing on Julius, it looks like a
Sharpie. There seems to be crudely written and large numbers and
letters on his belly, but he won't sit still so we can make it out. My
question is: is this how tattoos are always done (sloppily on the lower
belly), and do shelters do this often? If so, how come we weren't told
about the tattoo? My greatest fear is that some previous owner will
knock on my door wanting them back. Has anyone else adopted a tattooed
cat?
Thanks

Old November 7th 05, 05:53 AM
Karen

On 2005-11-06 22:31:38 -0600, "gravatiaX" said:

Hi-
[...]

I think tatoos are usually on the ears. That's pretty wierd!!

Old November 7th 05, 06:18 AM
Lumpy

"gravatiaX" wrote in message
oups.com...
Hi-
I adopted 2 beautiful brothers from the animal shelter on Sept 29. [..][

Anyway, tonight we discovered some writing on Julius, it looks like a
Sharpie. There seems to be crudely written and large numbers and
letters on his belly, but he won't sit still so we can make it out.

Wow. I hope you can get a good look. I would love to see a photo
of this.

But most importantly, thank you for saving these lovely boys and giving
them a forever home.

Old November 7th 05, 08:37 AM
-L.

gravatiaX wrote:
Hi-
I adopted 2 beautiful brothers from the animal shelter on Sept 29. The
shelter told us that they were 2 yrs old and that they were originally
brought in sometime in Feb 05. Then (not sure when), someone adopted
them, only to return them to the shelter in early Sept. After a
check-up, our vet said that they were probably born in Feburary and
were no more than 9 mths old. I guess you can't always trust them to
keep track of so many animals....
Anyway, tonight we discovered some writing on Julius, it looks like a
Sharpie. There seems to be crudely written and large numbers and
letters on his belly, but he won't sit still so we can make it out. My
question is: is this how tattoos are always done (sloppily on the lower
belly), and do shelters do this often?

Shelters usually don't - some vets sell this as an ID method. You may
find that it is an ID code and a phone number - and that the phone
number rings a vet.

If so, how come we weren't told
about the tattoo? My greatest fear is that some previous owner will
knock on my door wanting them back. Has anyone else adopted a tattooed
cat?

I wouldn't worry about that - the shelter probably already followed the
lead if it is indeed an ID number and a phone number. Have the cat
microchipped and keep your adoption papers - that will be enough to
prove ownership.

-L.

Old November 7th 05, 08:38 AM
-L.

Karen wrote:

I think tatoos are usually on the ears. That's pretty wierd!!

I have seen it a few times- always on the belly. Ear tatoos usually
are used in research labs and for things like Cattle and larger
animals. Some breeders may do so with their breeding stock.
-L.

Old November 7th 05, 07:10 PM

"-L." wrote:

Karen wrote:

I think tatoos are usually on the ears. That's pretty wierd!!

I have seen it a few times- always on the belly. Ear tatoos usually
are used in research labs and for things like Cattle and larger
animals. Some breeders may do so with their breeding stock.
-L.

One of our cats was ear tattooed by the vet that did his initial
checkup (he was a feral kitten). In fact ear tattoos are common.
-mhd
Old November 7th 05, 08:41 PM
gravatiaX

Thanks for the help, everyone. I'll bet a former vet tattooed these
guys -- I had never seen one on the belly, though.
I hate to think that my boys were "passed around" and had to live in
the shelter twice! It makes me more determined to keep them happy and
spoiled!

Old November 8th 05, 03:32 AM
Snittens

wrote
One of our cats was ear tattooed by the vet that did his initial
checkup (he was a feral kitten). In fact ear tattoos are common.
-mhd

A group that does feral TNR around here does ear tattoos to ID the cats they
have done. We get some that have tattoos at the shelter from them, when a
friendly cat gets mixed up in their feral colonies.

-Kelly

Old November 8th 05, 03:42 AM
-L.

Snittens wrote:
A group that does feral TNR around here does ear tattoos to ID the cats they
have done. We get some that have tattoos at the shelter from them, when a
friendly cat gets mixed up in their feral colonies.

-Kelly

Most TNR programs I have met nick or crop the ears so the cats can be
spotted from afar. IMO, it's a much better system.
-L.

Old November 8th 05, 05:19 AM
Snittens

"-L." wrote

Most TNR programs I have met nick or crop the ears so the cats can be
spotted from afar. IMO, it's a much better system.
-L.

Oh, actually they do that too. The tattoo is the cat's ID number with the
group, for medical records purposes. I think they round them up once a year
(?? not sure) and vaccinate them. The friendly cats that got TNR'ed by the
group usually adopt more quickly because it's such a tug at the heartstrings
story to tell and people think the tipped ear is unique.

-Kelly