Religious door to door callers are dense....

Old February 17th 07, 07:02 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Helen Miles

Default Religious door to door callers are dense....

"wafflycat" wrote in message

Basically a woman was so tee'd off with the local JWs calling at her house
despite her not being interested and saying so, she decided to get her own
back. She started interrupting their meetings. She did not join in the
meetings, she interrupted them to start talking about stuff she was
interested in but they weren't. This finally caused them to take the hint///

I managed to work out how to get rid of Mormons last June...below is an
entry I posted in my diary at the time...

Tonight, the door bell went whilst I was chowing down on some Ben and
Jerry's Phish Food ice cream straight out of the rather large tub
(ultimate comfort food), dressed in my "DSS" green tracksuit bottoms and
t-shirt with bleach stains after going for a run. I answered it. More
fool me. Stood at the door were 2 brain-washed cretins in smart shirts
with their little badges. Bless. I do so love the "The Church of Jesus
Christ of Latter-Day Saints". NOT.

I can do beligerent very well when I feel like it, and I've had a pretty
****ty day.

"Can I help you?" I said, leaning against the door and shoving a
spoonfull of ice-cream in my mouth.
"We're spreading the word of Christ" they said.
"Are you? That's nice." I said.
"Do you believe in the Lord God?" they said.
"Not yours. Why?" I said, shoving more ice cream in my mouth.

They then started off on some blurb about some crap and I tuned out.
After they rambled for a bit and started discussing the merits of why we
were in Iraq and Afghanistan and them not leaving, despite my asking
them twice to get out of my front porch, I went nuts. I *think* I told
them to get a clue from a clue bus, preferably by them being run over by
said bus, and that being a soldier of Christ was for the brain washed
religious fundamentalist moronic masses.

In reality I have no idea what I said as I was so wound up. Mary my
neighbour had come to her door to see what all my yelling was about and
arrived just as I had thrown melted chocolate & toffee ice cream all
over their very nice smartly pressed clean shirts. Bless her, she did
try to clean them up, but a grubby gardening glove is not really the
implement for the job. Next time they'll get the water treatment.

To be fair, they did do the job they set out to do. They made me feel an
awful lot better and significantly improved my day. Just not in the way
they originally envisaged.

-----

Did I mention I hate religious callers? ;o)

Helen M

Old February 17th 07, 07:19 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Ketzl's Dad

On Sat, 17 Feb 2007 13:02:14 -0500, Helen Miles wrote:

I managed to work out how to get rid of Mormons last June...below is an
entry I posted in my diary at the time...

snip

To be fair, they did do the job they set out to do. They made me feel an
awful lot better and significantly improved my day. Just not in the way
they originally envisaged

Halleluijah! Another one saved. :-)

--
Joey DoWop Dee
Remember: It is To Laugh

Old February 17th 07, 08:14 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Sherry

On Feb 17, 12:02�pm, "Helen Miles" wrote:
"wafflycat" wrote in message

[...]

Being the recluse that I am, I hate *any* kind of uninvited callers,
except family or friends. I do not want the answer the damn doorbell
and find an Avon Lady, a Schwann salesman, a vacuum salesman, a storm-
window salesman, a Mormon, a JW (or any other denomination. If I was
unsatisfied with my own faith, I'd seek them out. If I wanted a vacuum
cleaner, I'd shop for one. We used to be quite hospitable to anyone at
the door. We got older, and DH got pretty good at being surly and
cranky when he wants to. I think we have that right.

Sherry

Old February 17th 07, 08:14 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Stormmee

My parents own a farm, in very rural Missouri, they live on a road that is
gravel, to get to this road you take a blacktop for a few miles, their
driveway is 1/3 mile long, My father has a gate at the beginning, he tried
to be polite, he closed the gate, they opened it, he put up a sign, they
ignored it, he locked the gate, they climbed over it... we were discussing
this one day, after the tenth visit... my dad says... next time they knock I
am answering the door naked... gonna invite them in for more than coffee...
my mom is saying no you're not... a few months later I ask him how it was
going... He smiles and says, they haven't been back since their last visit
a month ago... I say why... Daddy says that doesn't matter but I am sure
they won't be back, Lee
Helen Miles wrote in message
news:44b6b0b84818663593fb5d870827c2fd.76411@mygate .mailgate.org...
This is a minor rant, so bear with me...

JW's are quite possibly THE most annoying people on the planet. I have a
BIG sign on my front door that says

"No salespeople, NO religious callers, NO political canvasing. Official
callers must have ID."

To me, that is perfectly clear. I don't like to be disturbed by people I
am not expecting as it disrupts the cats and it invades my privacy.

JW's just don't get the hint though. Apparently they are immune to signs
telling them to get lost. So, the doorbell goes at 8am this morning (a
saturday), and I get up and answer it because it might have been my
elderly neighbour needing help, which I don't mind at all. BUT, it was a
pair of bloody JW's!!!

As I pointed out that I REALLY wasn't interested, and by the way they
should learn to read, Miss Lily Whiskers slipped out between my legs and
into my front garden. The cats are absolutely not allowed out of the
front door because I live on what can be a busy road at times as it is
used as a rat-run in rush hour. That would have usually been fine as
she's done it once before and I normally just pick her up. But this
time, the JW's spooked her and she ran into the street. Fortunately she
was missed by the car coming up the street at the time, but it scared
her badly and she is now really spooked.

To say I wasn't polite to the JW's was a bit of an understatement. I
think I might have gone a bit over board when I called them illiterate
morons though. ;o)

Helen M (who is very relieved that Miss Lily Whiskers is fine)

Old February 17th 07, 08:17 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Sherry

On Feb 17, 12:02?pm, "Helen Miles" wrote:

I managed to work out how to get rid of Mormons last June...below is an
entry I posted in my diary at the time
Helen M

Heh. We used to live practically next door to a Mormon stake center.
The problem with the Mormon missionaries is, I knew they were just
young boys very far away from. The were just so nice it was impossible
to be rude to them. Luckily you could spot them a mile away; they had
this cookie-cutter look; and I'd just not answer the door. That's
rudeness of another form, but if you ever let them in, you couldn't
get rid of them.

Sherry

Old February 17th 07, 09:08 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
mlbriggs

On Sat, 17 Feb 2007 12:12:37 +0000, Helen Miles wrote:

[...]

Why don't you just ask them to Purr for those who need it?

Old February 17th 07, 09:35 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Shiral

On Feb 17, 4:12 am, "Helen Miles" wrote:
[...]

Whew! I'm glad Miss Lily Whiskers is okay! MUCH too close a call. I
don't blame you for giving those dead brains the rough edge of your
tongue.

I had a pair of JW's come to my door years ago ALSO earlier than I
cared to rise on a Saturday morning, and I told them flat out "No I'm
really not interested, I'm perfectly happy with the religion I already
follow." I happen to be agnostic, but I wasn't about to get into that
with a JW.

"Well if you discuss it with me, I think you'll find MY religion is
highly compatible with yours, already."

Me: (Smiling while already easing the door closed.) "Oh I REALLY
doubt that!" Close door, click deadbolt shut. They haven't bothered
me since, I'm glad to say.

I tend to get more Mormons, around here. The most recent of whom came
in search of my neighbor who had recently been evicted. I told them
the rental office might have information about where she had gone, but
that I didn't, as she and I rarely ever talked. One guy asked "May
we come in?" while already coming up my front steps. I stood in the
doorway, smiled and said "No" very firmly and without qualifying it in
any way. The guy stopped, looking bewildered and as I didn't change
my stance, they left.

As Dave Barry points out, people who 'want to share their religion
with you' almost NEVER want you to share yours with them. I don't give
those people any more time than it takes to say "No thank you, I'm
really not interested." It's one thing if a person goes to a church
and says "I'm interested in joining you, could you tell me a little
more about your denomination?" and assuming that your religion is
superior to your next door neighbors' and nagging them to change.

Melissa

Melissa

Old February 17th 07, 09:59 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Jo Firey

"Helen Miles" wrote in message
news:44b6b0b84818663593fb5d870827c2fd.76411@mygate .mailgate.org...
This is a minor rant, so bear with me...

To say I wasn't polite to the JW's was a bit of an understatement. I
think I might have gone a bit over board when I called them illiterate
morons though. ;o)

Helen M (who is very relieved that Miss Lily Whiskers is fine)

You were at least as polite as the situation required. That is pretty much
how my Rosie was killed. Granted we didn't have a sign and my husbands nit
wit friend who came to the door making a racket didn't mean any harm. He
was here early to help Charlie with some tree trimming. Opened the door and
hollered. Rosie took off at a dead run. Across the street, over the fence
and into guard dog territory.

JW's usually come round on Saturday mornings. I can't imagine they get very
warm receptions many places.

Jo

Old February 17th 07, 10:02 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Adrian A

Stormmee wrote:
My parents own a farm, in very rural Missouri, they live on a road
that is gravel, to get to this road you take a blacktop for a few
miles, their driveway is 1/3 mile long, My father has a gate at the
beginning, he tried to be polite, he closed the gate, they opened it,
he put up a sign, they ignored it, he locked the gate, they climbed
over it... we were discussing this one day, after the tenth visit...
my dad says... next time they knock I am answering the door naked...
gonna invite them in for more than coffee... my mom is saying no
you're not... a few months later I ask him how it was going... He
smiles and says, they haven't been back since their last visit a
month ago... I say why... Daddy says that doesn't matter but I am
sure they won't be back, Lee

I'll have to remember that one, thanks for the tip. ;o)
--
Adrian (Owned by Snoopy and Bagheera)
Cats leave pawprints on your heart.

Old February 17th 07, 10:02 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
wafflycat

"Ketzl's Dad" wrote in message
. net...
On Sat, 17 Feb 2007 07:12:37 -0500, Helen Miles wrote:

This is a minor rant, so bear with me...

JW's are quite possibly THE most annoying people on the planet. I have a
BIG sign on my front door that says

I'm always torn between "having a go with them" and telling them politely
please leave. Since I moved to New York (doorman building) I haven't been
bothered by JWs but before that they came regularly.

Here, however, we have Jews for Jesus (one meets them in the street or
subway
stations), and I find them really quite amusing. They always think they
know
more about Jesus than I do until I tell them I was raised Catholic but am
now
recovering, etc. etc. and I have fun dodging or returning their comments.
For
some reason I feel these kids (because that's what they are, usually) mean
well, as opposed to the proselytizers who used to knock on my door and try
come inside to "save me" from myself.

I suppose if it were to happen now, I could introduce them to Ketzl, my
familiar. :-)

In my neck of the woods, we get periodic leaflets through the door from a
group that's set up locally and are the local creationist/ID nuts. My
offspring, in his subtle manner keeps muttering about going to one of their
meetings dressed in a Flying Spaghetti Monster outfit and handing out some
of these...

http://www.venganza.org/images/sprea...k_brochure.pdf

and these...

http://www.venganza.org/materials/flyers/