neck problems

Old March 25th 08, 07:20 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
cshenk

Default neck problems

"cybercat" wrote in message
I wish our lady with the sick cat would update us on how it's gone!

Me too.

No news since. Thats usually bad news, sorry to say.

Old March 26th 08, 07:03 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Phil P.

"-mhd" wrote in message
"Phil P." wrote:

. All
my older cats get a potassium and omega 3 supplement. I highly recommend
them for all middle-age and older cats.

Hi Phil, what form do those supplements come in and what dosage do you
give daily?

-mhd

I use 3-V Free Form Liquid Omega-3s from DVM Pharmaceutical's now IVX Animal
Health. This is an improved version of 3-V Caps Liquid HP. The omega-3s are
in the, well, "free form" so it doesn't have to be broken down by pancreatic
enzymes to be absorbed. IOW, the Free Form Liquid has the highest
bioavailability of all the different types of omega-3s. The dose for cats
5-10 lbs is .5 ml (but I give all my cats a little more) which contains 160
mg of EPA and 104 mg of DHA-- high potency stuff and its balanced with
Vitamin E.

For the potassium supplement I use Tumil-K powder - 2mEq - which contains
468 mg of potassium gluconate (78 mg elemental potassium)- *Don't* use
potassium chloride or especially potassium citrate. Tumil-K comes in
caplets, powder and a gel.

These are the doses I give *my* cats Speak to your vet before giving your
cats any supplements.

Good luck,

Phil

Old March 26th 08, 07:04 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Phil P.

"CatNipped" wrote in message
"Phil P." wrote in message

"cybercat" wrote in message

"Nancy" wrote
We had sudden onset of this in a 14 yr old cat. It was potassium
deficiency, we supplemented him 2x a day and he lived 2 more years.

This is good to know! Do you know what causes potassium deficiency?

CRF is probably the most common cause of potassium depletion and
hypokalemia
in cats- and its a vicious, self-perpetuating cycle.

Rapid urine formation- from any cause (CRF, diabetes, hyperthyroidism,
diuretics, sub-q fluids)- is another.

Acidified diets that don't contain enough potassium.

Severe/chronic vomiting and/or diarrhea.

Adrenal tumors.

Potassium depletion and hypokalemia aren't exactly the same. Serum
potassium levels aren't a good indicator of total body stores of

potassium
because most (95%) of the body stores of potassium are contained in
tissue-
not in the blood. Ergo- a cat with normal serum potassium levels can

have
deficit in her total body stores of potassium which can lead to

declining
renal function--- which leads to further potassium losses-- which

leads
a further decline in renal function and the cycle goes on and on.

Signs of mild or subclinical hypokalemia are often dismissed as signs of
aging- like reduced appetite, reduced activity, subtle weight loss, poor
coat. If your cats are over 7 or 8, a potassium supplement will probably
make them feel a lot better and would probably delay the onset of CRF.

All
my older cats get a potassium and omega 3 supplement. I highly

recommend
them for all middle-age and older cats.

Phil

Where do you get the potassium and omega 2 supplement? What brand? How
much to you give them? If I can't isolate the dose to just my 9 and 10

year
olds will it hurt to give it to them all (2 almost a year and one 4 year
old)? They're already getting 500mg/day/each of L-Lysine to prevent
outbreaks of FHV/Rhinovirus - do you think this would interfere with the
potassium and omega 3 supplements?

Hugs,

CatNipped

All your cats would benefit from omega-3s, but I wouldn't give potassium
supplements to the younger cats. Potassium shouldn't interfere with
L-Lysine. Speak to your vet before giving your cats any supplements.

Phil

Old March 26th 08, 01:16 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
CatNipped[_2_]

"Phil P." wrote in message

"cybercat" wrote in message

[...]

Thanks, Phil, I will.

Hugs,

CatNipped

Old March 26th 08, 03:29 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
cybercat

"Matthew" wrote in message

"cshenk" wrote in message

"cybercat" wrote in message
I wish our lady with the sick cat would update us on how it's gone!

Me too.

No news since. Thats usually bad news, sorry to say.

no that is typical what happens here about 1 out of a 100 come back and
tell us what happened

That's true. I generally assume the worst--that they never took the cat to
the vet.

Old March 26th 08, 10:38 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
-mhd

"Phil P." wrote:

"-mhd" wrote in message
"Phil P." wrote:

[...]

Thanks Phil and of course I would run any thing like that past my vet
first but I just want to file this away in my useful stuff to know
category.

Are these supplements palatable or could they turn the cat off its
food?

-mhd