Rita's all snuffly

Old September 15th 14, 05:51 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Jane[_3_]

Default Rita's all snuffly

Rita was sneezing a lot all night long, and she's had a few snuffly, sneezing sessions today (I'm working at home today). However, her nose is still cold and wet and she's eating just fine. Is she sick? At what point should I start worrying and take her to the vet? Last time she sneezed all night, I rushed her to the vet, but there was really nothing wrong. It could just be the change in weather - the transition from hot to cooler makes me all snuffly too.

And now she just snuffled on my arm. Ick.

Jane
- owned and operated by the Princess Rita
Old September 15th 14, 10:31 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
MaryL[_2_]

"Jane" wrote in message

Rita was sneezing a lot all night long, and she's had a few snuffly,
sneezing sessions today (I'm working at home today). However, her nose is
still cold and wet and she's eating just fine. Is she sick? At what point
should I start worrying and take her to the vet? Last time she sneezed all
night, I rushed her to the vet, but there was really nothing wrong. It
could just be the change in weather - the transition from hot to cooler
makes me all snuffly too.

And now she just snuffled on my arm. Ick.

Jane
- owned and operated by the Princess Rita

~~~~~~
I would not wait more than a couple of days because cats can become very ill
from respiratory infections. However, I would not panic given the symptoms
you described. Cats can become congested from dust, just as we hoomins can.

MaryL

Old September 15th 14, 11:15 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Christina Websell

"Jane" wrote in message
Rita was sneezing a lot all night long, and she's had a few snuffly,
sneezing sessions today (I'm working at home today). However, her nose is
still cold and wet and she's eating just fine. Is she sick? At what point
should I start worrying and take her to the vet? Last time she sneezed all
night, I rushed her to the vet, but there was really nothing wrong. It
could just be the change in weather - the transition from hot to cooler
makes me all snuffly too.

And now she just snuffled on my arm. Ick.

If green or yellow stuff is coming out of her nose, she needs the vet. If
not keep an eye on her and if she continues to sneeze often after a week,
I'd take her there anyway just in case she has something up her nose. or at
least phone for advice.
That's what I would do.
I don't know whether weather changes would make a cat sneeze in the USA.
Our weather changes very frequently and Boyfie hardly ever sneezes. I can't
remember the last time he sneezed tbh.

Old September 16th 14, 04:19 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
EvelynVogtGamble(Divamanque)

Christina Websell wrote:
"Jane" wrote in message
[...]

When the pollen count is high in Arizona, not only the humans here
sneeze from allergies!

Old September 16th 14, 05:51 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Jane[_3_]

I called the vet later that afternoon and she confirmed pretty much everything y'all said. Watch her and come in only if she loses her appetite OR if her snufflings turn color and get worse.
Last night she only sneezed once (or at least, I only woke up for that one), and she does seem better. And she's still eating well.
We'll see how she is when I get home tonight.
Thanks,
Old September 16th 14, 06:07 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
MaryL[_2_]

"Jane" wrote in message

I called the vet later that afternoon and she confirmed pretty much
everything y'all said. Watch her and come in only if she loses her appetite
OR if her snufflings turn color and get worse.
Last night she only sneezed once (or at least, I only woke up for that one),
and she does seem better. And she's still eating well.
We'll see how she is when I get home tonight.
Thanks,
Jane
- owned and operated by the Princess Rita

~~~~~~~
Snuffling can be caused by environmental allergies such as pollen, as others
have said. In addition, dust is a common allergen. Holly suddenly started
sneezing and sounded like she had congestion years ago. I rushed her to the
vet. Like you, he did not see anything wrong, but he suggested dust as the
possible problem. It makes sense. I think I have a pretty clean house, but
I know there is all sorts of "stuff" under heavy furniture that I would
rather not think about, and all of my cats like to crawl under beds, sofas,
etc. Just think of how close their little noses are to the ground and how
they tend to "sniff their way around." Holly never did develop the problem
after that one occasion, and none of my other cats have had the sniffles. I
hope Rita's problem goes away as quickly and easily as Holly's did. That
was about 18 years ago.

MaryL

Old September 18th 14, 12:00 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Christina Websell

m...
When the pollen count is high in Arizona, not only the humans here
sneeze from allergies!

We do have high pollen counts here too during the summer, but fortunately it
doesn't affect me or any of the pets I have had.

Old September 22nd 14, 07:16 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Jane[_3_]

Well, it's been a week, and the Princess Rita is still snuffly and sneezing, although much less than usual. However, she still eats and uses her box just fine, and she's back to hollaring for treats every time I'm sitting in *that* spot on the couch, and she still tries to get in on every phone conversation I'm having, so I'm guessing that, as y'all have said, it's just a little allergy.

Old October 1st 14, 01:21 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Christina Websell

"Jane" wrote in message
Well, it's been a week, and the Princess Rita is still snuffly and sneezing,
although much less than usual. However, she still eats and uses her box
just fine, and she's back to hollaring for treats every time I'm sitting in
*that* spot on the couch, and she still tries to get in on every phone
conversation I'm having, so I'm guessing that, as y'all have said, it's just
a little allergy.

Jane
- owned and operated by the Princess Rita

___
Hmm. I said after a week if she was still sneezing I'd be checking whether
she had something up her nose that she might have inhaled. Or even have a
polyp perhaps.
That is what I would do if it was Boyfriend.
I leave it up to you.